Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1832 Capped Bust Half Dime!

1832 Capped Bust Half Dime!

This day will be tough to beat!

This weekend I went to my hometown in southern Illinois to visit my parents and brother. My brother always tries to find new sites for me to metal detect when I'm down there. On Saturday I tried detecting in the same woods where I found the 1877 Indian Head but it is too grown up, the scrub brush and weeds made it impossible to detect.

So we headed to an old home site in a different wooded area. You can still see parts of the old limestone foundation at this site, and the old well. I detected for almost 2 hours with no coin signals at all, and we were about to give up. Then I got a 12-36 signal at about 6" deep and it ended up being a semi-key 1869 Indian Head Cent! I had never found an 1869 IH before, so that filled a hole for me. On that note we quit for the day and went out for a nice dinner with my parents.

Today we detected at two different private residences where my brother had secured permission for us to hunt. The first yard is in a very old part of town dating back to the 1830s. The first signal I dug in this yard was a clad dime. The second signal was a 12-47 that was deep and my first thought was deep silver. After digging down about 10" deep the target probe was still sounding off loudly in the bottom of the hole. The next scoop of dirt brought out a large round disc and I knew immediately that it was a large cent! First one with my E-Trac. FINALLY! I'm glad my dad and brother were there to witness it. We hunted this yard for another 2 hours and could not find any more old coins at all except for one wheat cent.

So, we moved on to the second residence which was just a couple of blocks away. This is the same place where I found the 1808 Spanish 1 Real back in 1985. I have not hunted it since then so I was curious about what I might have missed. I started in the same general area where I had found the 1 Real 29 years ago, and within 5 minutes I got a 12-42 signal at about 7" deep. As I was digging around at the bottom of the hole I saw a small silver disc! I knew it was a small silver coin, but I wasn't sure if it was a half dime, a trime, or maybe a half real. I carefully put it in my pocket and kept detecting. About 5 minutes later I got another signal that was 12-40 on the E-Trac at about 6" deep. I couldn't believe it when I saw ANOTHER small silver disc at the bottom of the hole!

I took the two coins over to my dad's truck where we had some water. We carefully rinsed the dirt off the coins, and I could then tell that one of them was an 1832 Capped Bust Half Dime! My very first half dime and my first ever Capped Bust Coin! The other coin was more worn and crusty and we couldn't tell what it was, but it was the exact same diameter as the other half dime. When I got it home and cleaned it up better I could clearly see that it is a seated half dime, and I'm pretty sure the date is 1845.

Wow, what a day!

You couldn't have scripted it any better, finding some great old coins on Father's Day with my dad and brother.

We hunted that yard for another hour or so but didn't find any more old coins, so we went home and had some of my mom's awesome spaghetti.

Here are the four keepers from this weekend before cleaning:
    Name:  Dirty-Obv_zps79f430a3.JPG
Views: 176
Size:  132.9 KB

Name:  Dirty-Rev_zps7408e9aa.JPG
Views: 268
Size:  143.1 KB

Here is the 1852 Large Cent after cleaning. It is the first Large Cent I've found with my E-Trac, and the only Large Cent I've found that has a legible date. Not much wear on it, it must have been fairly new when dropped. It was about 10" deep.
    Name:  Large-Cent-Obv_zps76791971.JPG
Views: 173
Size:  107.6 KBName:  Large-Cent-Rev_zpscb06ef83.JPG
Views: 172
Size:  105.8 KB

Here is the 1832 Capped Bust Half Dime that I found at the second site today. My first half dime and my first Capped Bust coin!
    Name:  Capped-Half-Dime-Obv-4_zps0b43615d.JPG
Views: 178
Size:  123.3 KBName:  Capped-Half-Dime-Rev-3_zpsc9f247f2.JPG
Views: 168
Size:  114.8 KB

And here is the 1845 Seated Half Dime. Not in great shape but still identifiable.
    Name:  Seated-Half-Dime-Obv-2_zps1f8b6632.JPG
Views: 167
Size:  97.2 KBName:  Seated-Half-Dime-Rev-2_zps3279b1da.JPG
Views: 188
Size:  112.2 KB

I told my dad that I have now found 3 large cents in my life, and he was with me all 3 times! He was also with me when I found the 1808 Spanish 1 Real in that same yard 29 years ago! I will remember this day for the rest of my life, and I'm so glad that my dad and brother were there to experience it with me.
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 09-18-2017 at 01:10 PM.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Elite Member
    I though I had a decent day your hunt was outstanding. That might deplete most people's bucket list. Great coins especially the bust dime. WOW Wisconsin Digger
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Great finds, and to have your dad with you makes it awesome!
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Awesome bunch of finds you got there Tony I would love to find an old capped bust anything, very nice

Wow, Good for you. I wish I could have been there to see your face when you pulled those out of the holes. Excellent Finds.
    I'm glad you were able to share the day with you Dad on fathers Day. Two firsts in one day!!!!
    That door knocking on private property paid off BIG TIME. Congrats
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

KILLER!!!

great finds and it sounds like a great day with your dad it seems he brings you good luck better take him often congrats on a great hunt and a great day with your dad and brother dennis

some serious coinage Tony , I'm so happy for you mega congrats on the firsts.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

You are the KING of coinage!!! Your brother is awesome! That large cent is beautiful!
    I <3 colonial relics!

Now that's what I call a great fathers day! Two half dimes in one day with one of them being a capped bust will certainly keep you motivated. I've found more than 20 large cents in the last year including a 1798 yesterday that date to the time of capped and draped bust coinage, but still have yet to pull out any bust silver. Congratulations!
    Best Finds for 2015

1871 British Gold half sovereign
    1786 New Jersey copper

1786 Vermont Landscape
    2 - 1787 Connecticut coppers
    4 King George II halfpence
    2 King George II Farthings
    3 Large cents
    5 - 1864 2 Cent Pieces
    1857 Seated Dime
    4 Barber Dimes
    Standing Liberty Quarter
    21 Addt'l Silver Dimes
    8 War Nickels
    31 Indians
    5 Shield nickels & 8 V nickels
    Victorian Silver Match Case c.1880
    29 Gram 14k gold bracelet

What an awesome couple of hunts!! Congrats on 2 small silvers, the large cent and let's not forget that '69 Indian, which alone would have made a great hunt!! You owe your brother BIG TIME!
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Holy cow! Sweetness!! Hey what detector did you use in the 80s? Congrats on some serious coins!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Congrats Tony. I saw your text message this morning as I was heading out the door to work. You hit 3 bucket list coins in one hunt! I am VERY happy for you. Will the CB clean up any better (hot water/baking soda maybe?). Looking forward to next weekend. Best wishes and HH. Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Hey what detector did you use in the 80s?

In 1985 I was still using my old Whites 5000/D Coinmaster. On that first hunt of that yard in 1985 we found several Wheaties, Mercs and one or two silver Washingtons, but no coins from the 1800s other than the 1 Real. The homeowner told us that one of his coworkers had hunted it recently. That may account for not finding any other old coins other than the tiny half dimes.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    Will the CB clean up any better (hot water/baking soda maybe?).

It would probably clean up better but I'm afraid of ruining it. I may just leave it as is for a while. Maybe I will try the hot water and baking soda on the 1845 half dime since it is in pretty bad shape already.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Sa-weet!!! Congrats Tony on some wonderful finds. Sounds like you really enjoyed yourself. I have yet to find a capped bust dime I am envious.
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

You always seem to have the longest stories. Haha. At least you remember all the details of the locations. It helps with remembering exact areas you already hit. Congrats on the finds. I wonder why it seems almost always with your posts specifically Tony, I cannot see pics. There isn't even a xxxx.jpg that I see. But other threads today I can see their pics...

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    I wonder why it seems almost always with your posts specifically Tony, I cannot see pics. There isn't even a xxxx.jpg that I see. But other threads today I can see their pics...
    My pictures are hosted on Photobucket.com and I link to them here. Sorry you can't see them.

Are you viewing the forum from home or from work? If from work, perhaps photobucket.com is blocked from your place of employment.
    Lifetime totals:

.....ahh. That must be the reason.

Veteran Member
    Awesome and unbelievable finds. Congrats. Your brother and Dad have brought you a lot of luck the last few hunts. Safe & HH

That was one heck of a hunt Tony
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."