Thread: Last 2 hunts,1798 large cent,early Artillery button.

Blog Entries

Last 2 hunts,1798 large cent,early Artillery button.

Me my friend Gary have been spending a lot of time at a new cellar hole and both of us have done well,here are some of my finds from the last 2 hunts.I was real surprised to dig that Artillery button with a Levenworth,Hayden,Scovill backmark.
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by foundation hunter; 09-19-2014 at 07:22 PM.

Absolutely beautiful relics! That button is in really nice condition. Congrats on all the wonderful finds.
    I <3 colonial relics!

The artillery button and the 1798 LC could be the highlights of many displays.......on your keepers
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

WTG on the awesome finds! Can't remember when I've seen a Musicians Button dug.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

The artillery buttons I am sure you know are around 1815 as it has the 10 balls stacked and the left facing eagle but yeah, crazy it still has a even the back markings and shank. That two piece flower button looks very unique. I wonder how old the valve stem is. I never researched when plumbing was widespread. You got a good place to hunt there... obvi you don't need me to determine that for ya.

Some really incredible finds there!

To find a US coin from the 1700s is something that most of us will never experience. That one is a beauty with a nice clear date. Wonderful find!

The artillery button is a winner also. What a great piece of history.

Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    To find a US coin from the 1700s is something that most of us will never experience. The artillery
    They weren't that common? Hasn't someone offered you a while back to come out East for a vaca to swing (to test that)?

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    They weren't that common? Hasn't someone offered you a while back to come out East for a vaca to swing (to test that)?
    On any forum, I don't recall ever seeing a US coin from the 1700s being found in Illinois. I'm sure there are some but it is extremely rare.

And I am seriously, SERIOUSLY considering that trip out east. Maybe in the late fall or early spring when the underbrush is thinned out and the ticks are gone.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    On any forum, I don't recall ever seeing a US coin from the 1700s being found in Illinois. I'm sure there are some but it is extremely rare.
    Ah, specific to west of the Mississippi per se. Your area says it was settled around 1810 so that's why your earliest coin is 1808. And settlers came from KY so probable they didn't have the first official large cents let alone the state coppers. We have a different side here. Think this area was settled in the 1600's. A town SW of me was the oldest English settlement. But for the 150 years after there was officially a town there isn't much coinage popping up from that time frame. Once the state coppers came out that were minted locally that's most likely why the earlier stuff is harder to find. Not so much a depth issue.

Well about the brush here. Some areas are not bad. Last week I had no trouble swinging but the previous week was horrible. I can't see anyone else making it thru there. My legs were cut up something fierce. I don't know how I got a tick last week. I changed clothes and showered after. I didn't check thoroughly but seeing how ticks usually clamp on for about 24 hours only and then fall off...it was three days later and there was no blood sucked out yet. Contemplate that. I never went near the clothes from MD either. And they do make bug spray to go in the woods (I forget often to spray myself after getting equipment out of the car)

Man those are sweet buttons, and the Draped Bust is superb!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Very nice digs! Great button!
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Fantastic finds.

Awesome finds that LC is in great condition and that artillery button is Sweet Great Hunt
    Oldest Coin - 1830 Large Cent
    Oldest Silver - 1898 Barber Dime

Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro Pointer

A most excellent hunt. I would have a difficult time determining which item is my favorite from the hunt. Too many exceptional finds to choose from.

I bet you got winded from all the happy dances you had to do.
    V3i and Eagle Spectrum.

Oldest Coin 1813 Large Cent
    Favorite Coin 1907 Barber Quarter

some great finds Gary , the draped bust is a nice coin but to me the early artillery button is top find in my book . that is a 3rg regimental Artillery from 1811 to 1813 exclusively and you can't find a better example of a definite war of 1812 era button than that. its a great find .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Really nice button and beautiful LC !! And yes, that salamander is also beautiful ! Very nice buckle as well.