Thread: 3 7/8 Cents ....the hard way

3 7/8 Cents ....the hard way

I hit a cellar hole site this morning that I swore I wouldn't go back to. I think I first hit this site 7 years ago. But its close by my house and I've wore it out. I only had a few hours this morning so once again broke my promise to my self and hit this site yet again. I've been skunked many times at this site over the last few years, but as they say, you never find everything.

Anyway.... first target.....a clipped 1847 Braided Hair in good shape right out of the ground.

About 30 minutes later I dug a 1851 Trime, also in good shape.

The trime came from the cart path that I hunted a 100 times with every coil and setting I have. Still scratching my head over that one.

A few other finds including a big @$$ tack buckle

It's an odd bit of pocket change, but I'll keep it. The LC looks dried out below but it must be the lighting. It still looks like the top photo.

I've only been out a few times this spring but the ticks seem to be in short supply this year.

Jeff
    Last edited by Lodge Scent; 06-12-2017 at 07:17 AM.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Great hunt Jeff! Wish my "hunted out" sites still gave up the occasional signal. Tried one myself again this morning and couldn't even find a nail!
    That largie is in great shape even for being clipped. But that trime is really a sweet find!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Awesome Digs. I always enjoy seeing trimes posted here. We don't find to many here in the Midwest.
    I dug an 1852 about 3 years ago in a wisconsin park. My guess is I'll never dig another. So Thanks for posting yours!!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Jeff, unbelievable. Once again it has been proven that no site is ever hunted out. Your trime is beautiful, another coin on my bucket list. I have seen cut coppers before but usually they are cut in 1/2, not the weird cut that's on yours......

Congrats on showing that site who's the boss
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

WTG on the awesome finds! You must not be in CT as we've got a bumper crop of ticks this year.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Congrats on the wonderful finds, especially the 1851 Trime! It is in beautiful shape. I have never found one in all my years of detecting. Yours is a very nice example.

The cut Large Cent is interesting too. Lots of nice detail on it!

Good job!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Nice set of finds Jeff! I just read Donnie's pine tree shilling post though so... eh
    Just kidding, trimes are super finds and a nice copper to boot!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Way to go Jeff! Yes, never give up on those hammered sites. You may only want to spend an hour or two there but there's always something more isn't there! Love both of those older coins. I'm with The Rebel though...ticks and black flies are something awful up here in the North Woods now.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

First year trime , these little coins will put a big smile on your face ! congrats on it and the odd cut copper Jeff
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

The fact that the 3 certified silver magnets; Digger O, Digger D and Tony T-C, have never found a trime, makes this extra special. I've seen each of you guys post more silver in a single hunt than I have found in a 5 year span. Al doesn't have one either? I thought you had at least two of every coin ever made going back to the stone age.

Rebel and John, thanks and you can keep the ticks for this year. Black flies too.

Uh what are you saying Drew???? A trime doesn't stack up against a tree shilling ?

And Dan, you LUCKY DOG! Getting to pull a tree shilling out of the ground with your own dirty fingers! You owe Donnie BIG time !
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Congrats on the weee little silver and LC. Very cool!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Congrats - as they say no site is ever "never hunted out". The elusive trime is still on my list.

Nice finds, Jeff. Grats on the trime and copper. Interesting how things get missed somehow. One spot I walked just to the right of a flat button...but who cares when it was the same spot I got the 6 coppers. Two people walked ahead of me and completely missed a quarter signal... but meh.. it was a quarter. Still. How the hell do you miss that?
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.