Thread: Detecting With Digger Don and Tim IllDigger--Killer Finds!

Detecting With Digger Don and Tim IllDigger--Killer Finds!

Hey Diggers,
    Started the day with light rain and 39 degrees. I met Don at an old Courthouse he suggested. I wasn't there 3 minutes and got a scratchy 12-45 signal at 8 inches. I thought it might be a silver dime. What a surprise! 1873 Seated Quarter!!! Tim joined us a little bit later and we hunted there until 11:30. It was slim pickings and the only other good keepers I got was one mercury dime (1944) and 2 wheat cents (1909 & 1945).

We decided to go looking for a an old farm and instead found a little park (more like an empty field with a water pump in the middle). Tim figured out it was a park since he noticed it was on Park Street! All I found there was an old silver plated compact.

After an hour we decided to go door knocking in a nearby town. As luck would have it we got a yes on the very first knock. The house was Victorian and sat on a decent size corner lot. The lady mentioned they owned the cornfield across the street and there had been an old house there also. So while Don and Tim started working the yard I went across the street and started popping coins like crazy! I love detecting cornfields because most of the coins are right on the surface or only an inch or two deep. I found 2 really cool tokens and some silver and a gold ring. Later, under closer examination my 14K gold ring turned out to be only 14K gold filled.

I was very happy to get TWO bucket list items today. A seated quarter and a cigar token!

We finished the day with pizza and subs at a local eatery. Here is some pics. Thanks for looking and HH, Dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images               
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

What a day you had.
    That 73 Quarter set the tone for your day. It's amazing that it got missed by everyone else over the years. The courthouse had obviously been pounded to death.
    The tokens and dog tag cleaned up great!! Congrats on a Very nice variety of silver, nickels and Indians.

I really had a good time today, thanks for meeting up with me today and thanks also for dinner!!
    Take care, Don

Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Wow, quite a haul. That seated is beautiful! Congrats on the cigar token and the rest of the great stuff.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Great stuff ! My favorite is the Dog license .

Wow, what a great bunch of finds there. That seated quarter is beautiful!
    -------------------
    Oldest coin: Roman Silver Denarius (Titus) 79-81 AD / Oldest US coin: 1786-1788 NJ Copper (x4)
    Best relics: Medieval lead seal matrix (1200s) / 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button (x2)
    Deus II / Equinox 900 - Personal website: www.Detectorist.com

One heck of a hunt !
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

You had an incredible day, Dave! I can't stop looking at that 1873 Seated Quarter! Congrats on your first. I have found four of them but yours is WAY nicer than any of mine. It's beautiful!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

That Seated Quarter is AWESOME! I also love the dog tag, really neat! You really hit it outta the park in that field.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Beuatiful haul if you dont mind me asking what method are you useing for cleaning the tokens and tag? Yours appear to have a nice sheen to them mine are always dull. Any info is appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Oneil1979 View Post
    Beuatiful haul if you dont mind me asking what method are you useing for cleaning the tokens and tag? Yours appear to have a nice sheen to them mine are always dull. Any info is appreciated
    I use a pre-soaped SOS pad to polish the high spots. Gently rub the surface with the wet SOS pad in a circular motion. Press only hard enough to remove the gunk. If you press too hard you'll start removing details you might want to keep! Don't ask me how I know this though, it's a sad story.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Dave, nice group of keepers. Still waiting for my 1st seated quarter, congrats on yours. Are cigar tokens rarer ???
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Great post! Beautiful Seated, Cigar token and Dog Tag!
    XP Deus

Man what a crazy awesome day you had there! So many awesome finds! The seated Q is my favorite...but that token ain't too far behind!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Elite Member
    Definitely killer finds, congrats on all the finds, relics and coins. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

I heard of your epic hunt as Don was driving home. YOU KILLED IT!!

If there was such a thing, I'd say you were the winner.
    You kinda set the tone for the day with finding a Seated quarter within the first 15 minutes!
    And she's a beauty too! Oh baby! You would've had a stellar day even if you would've just left and went home after finding that thing. But no. You stayed. Even after being told, numerous times, to go home or go sit in your car. You listen as good as my kids.

Seriously, it was just your day. It was definitely a cob day.
    Tokens and old dog taxes are one of my favorite things to find as you know, and you found a nice array of those too. They go a long swimmingly with all the old siver coins you found!
    Congrats buddy!
    As always it was a blast detecting with you and Don. Thanks again for dinner.
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

well done some great finds there

What a great collection of finds. There is just something about Seated coins...I really love them. Man I would love to find one with arrows or a CC mint mark someday. Well done!
    http://www.youtube.com/c/MrDigger

Minelab Equinox 800, SE Pro
    Oldest coin: 1693 W&M halfpenny
    Oldest silver: 1751 Ferdinand VI Pistareen1 Real
    Oldest US coin: 1787 Mass State Copper
    Oldest US silver: 1821 Capped Bust Dime
    Favorite Find: 1806 Carolus IIII 8 Reales