Thread: Warmer weather finally?

Warmer weather finally?

Hello all,
    Hope that everyone has started to finally see some warmer weather and softer ground. I'm sitting here looking at the last remnants of snow on the grass in the shady areas wondering how hard the frost is underneath and chomping on the bit to get out for my first hunt for this year. It's predicted to see temps over 60 this Wednesday before rain coming in the next day, so I've put in for a vacation day and now working on getting everything ready for a day hunting the old brewery site I got permission for.

Hoping the day is as good as predicted and also hoping there's no unforeseen glitches to keep from having a great day out. Really hope that this truly is a virgin site despite many demolition activities and loss of a lot of old ground in the past decade or so. But there's still some really promising areas left including what as once the residence of the brewery owner's family dating to around 1850, and the original brewery dating to 1848 which both reside along the original military road dating back much further, possibly even to the late 1700s.

So I was wondering who else has great locations lined up for this year, and also what you do to prepare for your first hunt of the season. Let's get those promising hunts chatted up to get the detecting fever going!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

I'm looking forward to hearing about your brewery exploits!
    I have some really nice colonial sites lined up. One is a standing 1902 church on the foot print of a 1798 tavern, right on a town common...and another is a second 18th century tavern site.
    About 5 or 10 years ago I was able to hunt a tavern site for a few hours, I was shocked at the number and quality of finds...sad I wasn't able to go back. So I'm looking forward to that. My contact with those sites told me he knows some remote private cellar holes I can hunt but I wasn't able to assertain how he knew the owners, so that remains to be worked out.
    Interesting thread, Chris. I used to look at maps everyday and search mostly public sites but the past five years or so all my hunts are permissions.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    I'm looking forward to hearing about your brewery exploits!
    I have some really nice colonial sites lined up. One is a standing 1902 church on the foot print of a 1798 tavern, right on a town common...and another is a second 18th century tavern site.
    About 5 or 10 years ago I was able to hunt a tavern site for a few hours, I was shocked at the number and quality of finds...sad I wasn't able to go back. So I'm looking forward to that. My contact with those sites told me he knows some remote private cellar holes I can hunt but I wasn't able to assertain how he knew the owners, so that remains to be worked out.
    Interesting thread, Chris. I used to look at maps everyday and search mostly public sites but the past five years or so all my hunts are permissions.
    Those sound like some promising hunts Drew! Watching the Hoover Boys videos the get to hunt the occasional colonial tavern site, and it's crazy the amount and variety of finds they have made. I guess even in colonial times those who imbibe a bit too much dropped a LOT of stuff. Other than one church site where I found my first LC, none have really given up much of anything interesting. But then maybe they were already pounded, who knows. Hope those cellar holes come around for you too. If they are remote and on private land, then there's also a good chance for a big score. Good luck!

Just doing a bit more research I found that the road the brewery was built along was constructed as a wagon trail in 1837 following a well established indian trail. It also is not far from the first trading post in the area which was established in 1793. I would assume there were plenty of settlers prior to 1837 to have need of, and the manpower available to build that first road. It gives me some hope of items well pre-dating even the first brewery. Who knows, but it's the imagination if what could be possible that keeps the detector swinging. At least there's the hope of getting a few bucket listers like a trime, 2 cent piece, or maybe even a colonial or gold coin.
    Equipment:

I think a lot of us are chomping at the bit to go digging. I did go out the other day at a friends house...got a couple wheats and a silver rosie...that was enjoyable. I have done a little bit of research and have a new spot lined up but at this point I just want to get out and enjoy the peace that comes to me whenever I am out doing what I love.

Really hope that Brewery will be a place that has some history and bucket listers for you to dig up!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Quote Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
    I think a lot of us are chomping at the bit to go digging. I did go out the other day at a friends house...got a couple wheats and a silver rosie...that was enjoyable. I have done a little bit of research and have a new spot lined up but at this point I just want to get out and enjoy the peace that comes to me whenever I am out doing what I love.

Really hope that Brewery will be a place that has some history and bucket listers for you to dig up!
    I'm really glad you were able to get out even once this year so far, and better that there were at least a couple good finds. And I agree, detecting can be a really great way to relax and enjoy the outdoors in peace. As for bucket listers, I'm hopeful but not holding my breath. I've been to many very promising sites only to be completely skunked-and one person also said there's likely only going to be more pull tabs than imaginable. Of course there were also the rare occasions where a coil was dropped in a very unremarkable spot and it turns out to be a cornucopia of finds.
    Equipment:

HI DOD,

Good luck at Miller. Even if it isn't virgin ground, I am sure you will find some good things. Great permission to get.

I went out 2 weekends ago when we had a warm day and did an old baseball field that was soupy, but diggable. Found 1 Lincoln before my pinpointer died. Had two extra batteries with me and none of them worked. Walked way back to my car and grabbed my backup and same thing. Guess I picked up my old battery pile vs. new. Have to shake the stupid out of me. Great to just get out and swing. Have to get the arm back into shape. Still have a few permissions this year to conclude and have my sites on a few more. Also going to hunt a large section of woods where supposedly some 1700s swords were (are) buried.
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.