Thread: First hunt, first real signal, first silver of 2015. Silverware trifecta!

First hunt, first real signal, first silver of 2015. Silverware trifecta!

I almost got knocked over a couple times by the wind today, but it was great to get out!

Got an invite from a guy named Mark in one of the Facebook detecting groups I haunt. He and his son Rob have been hitting an old farm that's now just open fields for public use. Maybe 25 or 30 acres. He's gotten some cool finds from there, despite knowing a detecting club has whacked the place previously. We met at noon, which is when the weather was supposed to clear out. Obviously it cleared out sooner. Oh well.

Poked around a bit then headed out. It was real trashy near the road and where the house(s) had been. I could hear can slaw and other crap. Wandered for maybe 15 or 20 minutes, mostly ignoring the crap I was hearing, and finally got a good tone on the V3i. Target was a bit big, so I was braced for aluminum crap.
    Nope, silver in the hole! I could see the fat handle of a spoon. Oh boy, time to get up and dance! It's heavy, and has a monogram. I'll have to decypher the makers marks on the back when I get time.
    Name:  AD1.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  88.2 KB

Name:  AD2.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  109.6 KB

Dug a lot of crap, managed a 2'nd spoon (silver plated), then got another good signal. Heart-stopper for a second when I saw a curved edge and a lot of patina. Turned out to be the edge of what looks like a ladies compact perhaps. It's drying out still, so I'll get better pics up.
    Name:  AD3.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  87.6 KB

Back to digging a combination of park/farm crunk. Managed a wheat penny in there somewhere, but it was my only coin. So, after about 3 hours, I got my 2'nd low 80's tone. Same deal, a bit big. Cringe #2. Fork #1, dance #2!
    A heavy sterling children's fork with a Jack & Jill scene cast into the handle. And more makers marks on the back. Woohoo!
    Name:  AD4.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  103.1 KB

Name:  AD5.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  88.1 KB

I start wandering the return trip to the car, still digging crap, and went on a silverware blitz. Infant's fork (i think) all folded up, another spoon missing it's plating, and what looks like a measuring spoon all bent up. Then maybe 10 minutes from the car, it happens again. Low 80's and kind of a large target. Could it be? Yup. Dance #3!
    Stubby handle with a large bowl. Sugar spoon, or some small serving spoon I'm guessing. Very cool.
    Name:  AD6.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  63.1 KB

Name:  AD7.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  62.7 KB

A trash or treasure day for sure. All that silver cam with a price though. My car sank into the soft field we were parked in. Thankfully Mark was ready for it and once he got his truck unstuck, we strapped to the rear of the frame and pulled me out. Hoping the weather plays nice Tuesday and Wednesday so I can get out again. Thanks for reading and HH.
    Name:  AD8.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  80.4 KB
    Last edited by Trooper Bri; 04-04-2015 at 07:22 PM.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Here's a close-up of the Jack & Jill spoon.

Name:  AD9.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  55.0 KB
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

That's one heck of a bunch of silver. Last year I found 2 heavy forks near each other and was thrilled. That must make you double thrilled. Nice going.
    Best Finds for 2015

1871 British Gold half sovereign
    1786 New Jersey copper

1786 Vermont Landscape
    2 - 1787 Connecticut coppers
    4 King George II halfpence
    2 King George II Farthings
    3 Large cents
    5 - 1864 2 Cent Pieces
    1857 Seated Dime
    4 Barber Dimes
    Standing Liberty Quarter
    21 Addt'l Silver Dimes
    8 War Nickels
    31 Indians
    5 Shield nickels & 8 V nickels
    Victorian Silver Match Case c.1880
    29 Gram 14k gold bracelet

I sure would be thrilled to find my first silver utensil, never mind three!! I hope you can identify some makers....great job!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

WOW!!! Three in one hunt!!!! Amazing finds Bri!
    I <3 colonial relics!

Thanks guys. I was happy to scratch silver tableware off my list. Doing it two more times was unreal.
    It was a long day Drew and I wanted to post up before work calls tomorrow. I'm going to take better pics of the makers marks tomorrow as well.

Very nice finds Bri!!
    Primary machine= Teknetics T2

2016 Totals
    Oldest Coin= 1920 Wheat Cent
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1

Brian, super nice hunt. You managed to get three items in one hunt that have eluded me, a complete silver spoon or fork. Had to work yesterday and that wind was something else.....on your keepers.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

What an interesting hunt. Congrats on all your finds, but my favorite by far, is the Jack & Jill fork. Awesome Find
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Three sterling silverware items??? I've never heard of that version of the trifecta but that's awesome! Great hunt
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Dug out my eye loop and looked up the maker's marks on the spoon and fork after work tonight.

The spoon was made by The Gorham Co. out of Rhode Island. I'm having a tough time dating it. I'm guessing the H is the classification. Heavy in this case. So I know it can't be any younger than the 40's. The closest match I could find in the maker's mark designs (square around the anchor) could put it as old as the 1870's. I'm new to identifying spoons, so who knows.
    Name:  Silversmith1.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  108.7 KB

The Jack & Jill fork is easier. The Watson & Briggs Company out of Attleboro, MA. They were founded in the mid-30's.
    Name:  Silversmith2.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  43.6 KB
    Last edited by Trooper Bri; 04-05-2015 at 07:08 PM.

thats a lot of silver Brian and I can't recall seeing some one with a silver utensil trifecta love the Jack & Jill themed fork
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

WTG on the Silver Utensils. That Jack & Jill is very cool!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Wow, Bri,time to go on a picnic! Those are some great finds.

That was an amazing hunt, Brian! I have never found a single piece of sterling silverware and you found THREE of them in one hunt!

That Jack & Jill fork is really special. It's one of the neatest finds I've seen posted on this forum. I really love it!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Heck of a hunt! I've dug dozens and dozens of utensils but only two were solid silver. Three in one day is remarkable
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Elite Member
    Nice hunt. I can't say I ever recall finding any silverware. Greta haul. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Great finds !
    Always looking for that next ring !!