Thread: This weekend. *Not gonna degrade 'surprise' in the title*

This weekend. *Not gonna degrade 'surprise' in the title*

The luck streak continues. Labor day weekend was great despite the bs. A unique brooch and silver plate button and a nice dandy were the highlights.

Wednesday the rents were still around although they planned to be out that day. I had to be at the club meeting. Their realtor showing up and finishing dinner kinda made us late to the meeting. Maybe not pertinent deets but I can still share. One of the members who likes to talk about his finds had given an offer to get to RI sometime. I said I'll surely take the invite. The next day I think to offer him to come up my way to hit a few places. So I get his number and text. He doesn't like to text, but he reads them. He gives me a call and we set something up for Saturday morning, but he offered his place. It's a large parcel of land. I think he said that 13 largies came out of the place and 8 of them he dug. I was grateful he offered a place like that. I went down with another club member who lives a few streets over from me. He got a spoon piece and a few fired round balls.
    The night before I was gonna hit a big field that is public now but it was planted with soybeans. I tried 10 min near the edge but I decided to come back when it is harvested. (It could have been grass as one of the fields is overgrown, but the aerials are dated). I went back to a school. Got a short vid of all the bugs which was beyond ridiculous. Only found a few clad and an earing. It might be plated but sure isn't solid. Could just be costume jewelry.
    Name:  Earing.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  32.7 KB
    Sat morning we got there a bit early, but Rog was already there in the field for about 5 min swinging. We didn't get right into swinging. The cultivated field was filled with a bit of iron and I was noticing it just all the sudden get quiet directly in line with the orchard in the next field. Strange. I did go two rows over the field and stopped to dig only the odd targets that were slightly fooling, like a square wire loop. There wasn't too much so I followed up into the orchards. There was a cellar hole. Right near it I found some old tiny door handle. I know now it is for a door vs a drawer because it had the square slot in the bottom, and not a threaded hole. Up near the back I see a big iron pipe piece sticking out. I figured it was small so Ill dig it up to get rid of any masking. That took a bit of effort to pry up.. and when it finally does I see a huge gear attached to the end of it. Ridiculous. I shove it in the back and that sucker is weighing me down. I tried to cope with the awkwardness digging into my back and the heavy weight. I swung a little bit around the back of the hole and found a trash pit with a few clam shells. I said hell with this and went back to the truck to get rid of that monster iron gear. It felt so good to get rid of it.
    I tried a bit to scour the two adjacent rows leading toward the cellar but there wasn't much to be found. I made my way back toward the barn and rolling hills. Still nothing worth digging. Only really trashy targets, Esp a bunch behind the old piece of farm equipment out back. I went toward the house and back and forth. No luck. I saw Rog grabbing buckets for some apples. We talked a bit and he pointed out the area where all the LC came from. I headed up that way, and finally stumbled upon Bob. I did a line toward the house and up and around the edge of the field. Nothing was good. Tried a line in a grassy field near there toward a dilapidated barn... still nothing good. Back into the higher area is where I headed. Up and down the rows. There was a trashy area on a slight hillside which had a clam shell in it and some pottery. Coming along the next row near there I get a 53. It was slightly erratic, but the T-pro is a bit sensitive. It was only 3 or 4 inches down. I pinpointed and dug. As soon as I see a round target I was stunned. The darn thing was two feet over from a hole someone else dug. Immediately I needed to take a short video of it. I saw the rays instantly, thinking it could have been. Just after seeing Todd's vid the day or so before about his second one of these bad boys. It rings like a dime out of the hole. Maybe the rain or the inconsistent VDI might be why it was bypassed. Sweet detail Nova. 1785. My first. Bob came by and we were laughing about it. I didn't fully get all the dirt off the Nova side but I didn't wanna keep it in the peroxide any more for the date side. Scripted 'US'. I will correctly say it here : It is a common of the 1785 variety even thought it is not a common coin to find. Crosby 3B-R2 with 30 sets of leaves. Now the pic for as reparation for reading all that.

Name:  Nova dug.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  105.3 KBName:  Nova Front on Red.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  96.5 KBName:  Nova on red.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  96.1 KBName:  Ring, Buckle, and Reeds.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  98.9 KBName:  Nova Date.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  64.6 KBName:  Nova Date Zoom.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  38.7 KBName:  Nova Constellatio.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  43.6 KB

I was pumped so later that day I went to a permission house I had and took the gf along. He had guests over outside but was still ok with me hunting. I gotta get his number because he is planning to move. He is such a great guy so we can keep in touch. The thought crossed my mind to clean and put this in a small case for him. I am undecided. Using the 4" coil in the area where I got a largie and CW three ringer I was going along...still having to stop a few times to help her out. There was a nice 78 VDI and up came a Kearny cross. The owner was impressed with the item. The front appears to have a union soldier standing at ease with his rifle and two tents behind him. The cross legs have some ornate script in them. The back has the manufacturer Schwabbs S&S co from Milwaukee. It could be a watch fob or it could be a military award.

Name:  Medal Full.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  53.6 KBName:  Medal depiction.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  128.9 KBName:  Medal Maker.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  135.2 KBName:  Medal script.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  76.5 KB

Yesterday I guess the bs I was dealing with in the morning the finds were reparation for. We didn't get out as early as I wanted, the gf and I. First we stopped by a cellar hole which I thought has some potential. Idk If I can find some history of the layout before the '34 historical aerial. I kept the nugget coil on the T-Ranger because I was intending to scour that hole. If I got lantern parts, clock weights, and suspender clips up there with a round DD, I could possibly score some masked finds with a 4" (but it is a CC). Before I got to the hotel site on labor day weekend I had already lost the coil nut on the brand new machine. The new one will arrive today, but I had to swap from the Garret to the White's as the BH was a smaller nut. I wanted her to learn the GTI more proficiently so I had to use T-Ranger. Turns out I wasn't having the luck there. I had to keep gong back and forth to her cuz she was having difficulty with the surface targets giving a different tone with the GTI. She was frustrated with the iron and hearing some nails. Maybe she needs more hours to learn and understand why sometimes we get fooled by iron. She did better than me at the hole, however. I found a horse shoe. She got a nice D buckle for a horse bridal. The iron tab is gone on this small buckle. She found a set of coat hangers and some ceramic pieces. There was a hotplate piece that was a joint effort. I might clean it up to re-utilize. Idk if electrolysis (which I need to purchase a charger so I have amperage) or use a wire brush or sanding disk for the dremel. She kept wanting to go to a high school. I tried to show her how to work it better in an area away from the hole (cuz the GTI is a round coil even tho a DD can be purchased which lacks the imaging function). Even I was thrown off by a few nails so she went back to the car discouraged. I decided to swing a little and follow snagging a car tire weight (that's odd). I decided to check out a field I knew about. Can't quite give much deets about the place. I owe a small percentage of the dumb luck to her. We did a circle around the area and came to the field. I parked at the most utilized driveway to the field. She didn't like it for some reason. After arguing I had to give in and went to the other end and parked. She took off once all her stuff was out of the car and left me while I puttered around and changed out the 4" coil to the sharpshooter coil. When I started walking I thought she disappeared behind the tree line. Walked in after her noticing this path into the field. I message her but I don't hear back. Eventually I turn around to see someone walking toward me. It took a min to realize it was her. I walked a little toward her and eventually I see she is swinging, not just walking. So, on goes the machine. After about 10 feet, Boom. Nice VDI of 126. It was repeating. I was thinking it might be can-slaw. I could have tried the method in the manual lifting coil to see if VDI becomes erratic, but I just pinpointed and dug. The pinpoint area was small...and I should have realized. I dug down a few inches and pulled out the plug. Tried to pull out some of the dirt and I flipped over this round thing. Immediately I threw it back into the hole like it was a hot potato. A nice round shape. Since one side was caked with dirt still I thought it might be a big flat button (not thinking it was pretty thick). She came over and immediately I had to take a short vid. I joined the barber club and In a big way. Nice 1907 Barber half dollar. Sweet detail too. I'd estimate it at VG to AU quality. We were there only half hour but the field is huge. Sure entails another trip. We found a cow tag on the top. She finally started understanding how the machine gets erratic with junk targets, esp after her using the barber on her machine, and testing on edge too. A few piece of can slaw did eventually come up. She got a bullet casing and down quite a ways I found the tip. We did go to my park as I missed the turn to get back the quickest way. Not much was found because I think I cleaned it out of anything good, along with whomever has been there since who got the remaining clad (less the two I pulled).

Name:  1907 Barber Half.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  96.1 KBName:  Barber Half Back.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  91.2 KBName:  Full on bullet.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  38.9 KBName:  Horse Shoe.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  48.3 KBName:  Non metallic Finds.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  86.2 KBName:  Extras finds.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  58.3 KB

​WOW! Killer hunts there man! Love that Nova! One that I'm hoping to cross of my bucket list soon!

FANTASTIC Jim!!!!! All goodies there.

WOW!! Jim....some great finds!! You know, a nova was the first copper I ever saw being dug. I think Coinnut found it detecting with his pinpointer. I've yet to find one
    The half is nice as well...as is that medal. Great job Jim!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

WOW, Incredible hunts with some awesome finds! Have to admit I'm a bit jealous!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Awesome saves! Wow!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

What an incredible bunch of finds!

But that beautiful Nova Constellatio takes the crown in my book! What a wonderful coin! It came out of the ground looking pretty nice too, still very decent details left on it.

The Barber Half Dollar is a terrific find too!

AND that military medallion is very interesting as well. The scene depicted on it looks to be from the Civil War era.

Congrats on the spectacular finds!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    WOW!! Jim....some great finds!! You know, a nova was the first copper I ever saw being dug. I think Coinnut found it detecting with his pinpointer. I've yet to find one
    The half is nice as well...as is that medal. Great job Jim!
    You mean I have found something that Drew hasn't yet? I'm not trying to gloat. I swear. Now all I gotta do is get an SLQ.
    Thanks, tho, Drew. I am happy to find these, and happy I made an effort to get out with Rog, and that he was willing to take me there. The Barber half is all me..... well 5% the gf for making me get to that spot in the field. I looked at the timestamp on my text and the vid and there was 3 min between the two. I didn't start swinging until after the text, and after I turned on all the BT. I am still hoping to find out what the medal is all about. I tried the list on Wiki about military medals. So far I only went through the civilian medal section but no matches. That was the find, along with the three ringer, that he was interested in. That's my only three ringer, too, so it'd be hard to part with.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE54 View Post
    FANTASTIC Jim!!!!! All goodies there.
    Thanks Mike. Sure like yields finally coming from the effort. There was no shortage of effort this summer. I am surprised my neighbors didn't hate me for my lawn getting too long. Umm...altho there was one house where it gets way longer. Like mowed twice a summer. So, a petty thief compared to a hardened criminal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    What an incredible bunch of finds!

But that beautiful Nova Constellatio takes the crown in my book! What a wonderful coin! It came out of the ground looking pretty nice too, still very decent details left on it.

The Barber Half Dollar is a terrific find too!

AND that military medallion is very interesting as well. The scene depicted on it looks to be from the Civil War era.

Congrats on the spectacular finds!

Thanks, Tony. Can't beat finds like those... well, maybe it can. So far most of those who have found Nova's haven't had theirs in such great shape. Obvi the side with the date got the most wear so I am thinking it was the side that was facing up. The guy who had the permission looked it up and the 1786 variety was upwards of $16k. Somewhere online this 1785 was around $350..but I can't be certain. The Barber I saw one site at $93 and another at $152 for quality. I can probably say that NOW I have made up for the cost of the machines even tho I am not intending to sell the finds. You came up with the same thing I did on the medal. The ones from the CW, tho, that I saw online had the 1865 (or 1863?) date in the bottom of the cross. But there must be other varieties. Wish I could get a definite answer. This is why I guessed it was a war medal vs a watch fob, which are sometimes the Kearny cross, too. I just couldn't see a civil war scene on a watch fob instead of being on a war medal. Unfortunately I would need to read somewhere the owners during the CW and see if one of them was enlisted. Unless someone can give a definite answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsylvania Treasures View Post
    ​WOW! Killer hunts there man! Love that Nova! One that I'm hoping to cross of my bucket list soon!
    Thanks. I'd say this was overdue for me. Lol. But we can all say that for ourselves. PA still has a possibility of a Nova.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
    Awesome saves! Wow!
    Thanks Buck. It was great, but even tho we all get great saves it's like "If I found this, what else can I find". I don't call it greedy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    WOW, Incredible hunts with some awesome finds! Have to admit I'm a bit jealous!
    I swear, that was not the intent to make others jealous. However, when the shoe is on the other foot... You will get it where others are jealous of your finds. Thanks, tho.
    Last edited by MangoAve; 09-15-2015 at 10:09 AM.

Not gonna create another thread just for this. Got a short hunt in at the place where I got two ox knobs. In the front yard I got a full harmonica reed. Over near where I got the ox knobs I pulled up this nice bell worthy of The Silverslingers. EEEE. A brass bell with the inside nice and green with the clapper rust 'melted'. Guessing the ox knobs were a strong indication the bell was for [one of] the oxen. The Bevin Bro's bell company made bells in CT since 1832. Gonna estimate it sometime between 1832 and 1902 when the tractor came about and the oxen were no longer needed to plow fields. I don't have a pic of harmonica reed. Both almost went in the trash with the rest of glass and canslaw I pulled from the surface of the field (which was used right along since before 1934). I wasn't digging for the reed. Bell was on top.
    Name:  Cowbell.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  58.2 KB

so its safe to say your liking the new whites machine huge congrats on some very very nice finds Jim
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Yeah, Dan. I'd say it is a good machine. Altho I attribute the barber half and this recent rosie to the Tranger. Who knows, maybe I will look into getting a bigger coil for the White's for farm fields (cuz obtaining with this style connector is easier and the machine is a little lighter)

I did hit the field again and pulled up another silver. I didn't see any house in the 1868 map or in the 1934 aerials here. Maybe all the activity here was farming after 1900?? Idk. After many falsing iron signals and a few lead pieces and a bullet tip...and a few hours.. I was back to the area near where the barber came up. I'd assume the further side of the field was older. But the dime was sure a strange one. The dime rang higher VDI than the barber half did. And it was 6 inches down. I almost thought it was canslaw. There was what appears to be an aluminum spoon bowl near it.
    Oh yeah. That pic plays tricks on ya. The date might be a little more prevalent in the first pic when it was cleaned and buffed. The second pic it looks like the dime is 10 years older than it actually is... and no I didn't use the wrinkle cream on it.

Name:  1946 Dime.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  47.1 KBName:  Silver Dime.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  96.8 KBName:  Rolling hills.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  54.3 KBName:  Farm hills.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  54.7 KBName:  Late Field.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  31.6 KB
    Last edited by MangoAve; 09-16-2015 at 07:01 AM.

WoW! Nice finds! The nova is in great shape! Congrats on the big silver also! The medal or fob is also very interesting

Talk about finds !! Barber half... and that Nova... WOW !!! Congrats and thanks for sharing !
    Follow my Facebook Page : A Metal Detecting World

Quote Originally Posted by chief5709 View Post
    WoW! Nice finds! The nova is in great shape! Congrats on the big silver also! The medal or fob is also very interesting
    Thanks. I'm proud with the nova and barber. I'd say the moral is (in specific locations) dig everything non-ferrous. The rosie was reading a higher VDI than the barber half. The nova was reading like a button. The surprise is what make this hobby good. It'd be boring always knowing what will come out. The medal I am still intrigued by as well. I have been told that a pawn shop would know exactly what it is. ikd..??

Quote Originally Posted by Taltahull View Post
    Talk about finds !! Barber half... and that Nova... WOW !!! Congrats and thanks for sharing !
    Yeah. Finally a bit of luck and finds aren't interesting because they are strange.

Man you killed it Mango. Great hunt! Love the Nova!!!!
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Interesting. I was cleaning the cross more thoroughly, although I don't like how the vinegar turned the nice black patina into some reddish spots, but I now know what it says on the back. The microscope doesn't have a camera, however. And the more interesting thing is this is a two piece medal. The round center did pop out while I was straightening the corner. Luckily it was easy to put back in. The front has the soldier and the back has [only] the lords prayer. Seeing as it was part of the spill, makes it more interesting to find out the story behind it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Man you killed it Mango. Great hunt! Love the Nova!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Thrills View Post
    WOW !!!!!
    Thanks, Jeff and CT. Trying to kill it stealthily, but showing no mercy.

WTG on the Nova!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Elite Member
    Not much to add, great finds on some great ground. Must of missed this post earlier. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Congrats on some great hunts and very cool finds, WTG.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber