Thread: BIG, (I mean really BIG!) Copper and Other Finds From This Past Week

BIG, (I mean really BIG!) Copper and Other Finds From This Past Week

This past week was an opportunity for me to get out quite a bit to take advantage of the nice fall weather and secure some finds before the cold comes.

My craziest find of this week came from a field, one of three that a friend and I hit that day. It was a 1.5lb chunk of float copper! Man did that thing give a sweet signal!

The other coin finds were two Washington quarters and a whole bunch of wheat cents from a street tearout project and an interesting locket with a photo and hair.

The other stuff below is from the fields. I pulled three nice coins from the fields; 1849LC and twin 1866 IH's.
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Man you had some awesome hunting . That locket with the picture and the lock of hair is incredible .I imagine it would be next to impossible to find out who that is . It's mind blowing to know that DNA technology could do it though .

Holy Coppers batman-you found a LC around here? Huge congrats! I figured it was possible, but odds like winning the lottery! That float copper is sweet too, I've found some of that, just not that size.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

That locket is amazing!!! Can you get a sense of its age by what he's wearing or his hair? I found a picture of a couple from 1860 once but to have hair too!!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

That locket is so cool. Finding the LC is great but getting two 1866 IH is fantastic. Dual silver quarters and the largest piece of copper I have ever seen.

I know that in the older days people would carry the hair of a loved one who had passed away. Wonder if this is the case here?
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Lol. I had a piece of brass read over what a silver dollar should. Boy was I disappointed when it came up. Same with hunting a field that was just iron after iron target with a handful of canslaw and bullet shells and then BAM, huge signal. And then its copper slag.

Nice score on the LC and IH. Judging by the quarter I would think the locket might have something to do with a person drafted or enlisted and it was for his sweetheart. I wonder if there are any identifiers on the locket.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Holy Coppers batman-you found a LC around here?
    Yes, they can be found around here from time to time if you get on the right spots. Thanks!
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    That locket is amazing!!! Can you get a sense of its age by what he's wearing or his hair? I found a picture of a couple from 1860 once but to have hair too!!!
    I believe the locket to be from the 1920's based upon the clothing. More research required. I do know which house I found it in front of, so we'll see.

Pretty wild find! Definitely think that locket is Pre WWII. Also I do believe it is a mourning pc.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

I like that float copper! Have you found any copper projectiles Milco?
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Man what a great bunch of finds! That locket is really special!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Looks like you were pretty much digging it all,,, and it looks to have paid off!! Conrats!!
    Primary machine= Teknetics T2

2016 Totals
    Oldest Coin= 1920 Wheat Cent
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1

Looks like you put your time to good use! Awesome finds

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Darren m you found some nice relics (with some age too) congrats on the large cent and the float copper but that Mourning locket is the find of the year in my book , what an incredibly personable relic that no doubt someone felt even more pain or anguish when they lost this keepsake of a loved one . great great find .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    I like that float copper! Have you found any copper projectiles Milco?
    I have not, and if I did, I would never say or post online anyway. I am sure you know why.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Darren m you found some nice relics (with some age too) congrats on the large cent and the float copper but that Mourning locket is the find of the year in my book , what an incredibly personable relic that no doubt someone felt even more pain or anguish when they lost this keepsake of a loved one . great great find .

Dan

Thanks Dan! Yes it was a fun day!

love the locket!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Quote Originally Posted by milco View Post
    Yes, they can be found around here from time to time if you get on the right spots. Thanks!
    I would really love to find out where these "right spots" are that you are finding LCs! I have been researching the heck out of this region of SE Wisconsin, and the few remaining places that
    might have any chance of producing something that old have either been detected hard in the past, or have had so much soil removed or fill added over the years that nothing is found.

One example is a South East park along the lake. Vast area, but couldn't get anything older than mid 1980's-likely a really recent drop. Even the 1800's farm I am living on now has been so extensively thrashed over the years it was the same kind of finds-only very recent drops. The only exception was an old pewter underwear button from the field. Unfortunately most of the "old" places in the region have now been developed over and often paved or otherwise made inaccessible. Even the old parks dating to the 1830's have nothing left but modern trash so thick they are nearly undetectable although I will try again next year now I have the CTX, 6" coil and custom program for that type of situation.

We did have some Civil War camps in the area too, but as I traced their histories, places marked as historical points are not accurate. Such things as the buildings being relocated for road expansion or more development is common. Another sad thing is finding out that local governments have in the past often sold off prime park land to private developers so they could rake in big tax money. A couple examples of this are a former lakeside park on an inland lake and even here in Milwaukee where the big park horse track near downtown was developed.

Please excuse the rant, but it does become aggravating when the greed of the few paves over our past and develops on top of out local heritage.

Silver Spring Park, Milwaukee-1859
    Name:  Silver Spring Park 1859.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  60.3 KB
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Candidate Member
    A busy week there,and some good finds to boot.Nice old coppers plus a nice silver quarter. Heck. that chunk of copper would have put most machines into overload condition.