Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: V3i for 700?

V3i for 700?

So I get a call from a friend this weekend. One of our fishing buddies Dave is selling his uncle's V3i for $700.

The last time Dan invited me out for a dig, he gave me the backstory of the V3i. Not exactly the smoothest road.
    Dave doesn't know jack about it, but thinks it's a few years old. What do I need to look out for on these? Is there a firmware/software version to stay away from? I don't want to buy it and then pay $$ to update it.
    And of course, how does it fare in New England woods?

Comes with 3 packs, some kind of Whites pinpointer, and a 2'nd coil. I'm pondering this, but not quite hot-to-trot like I was with the overpriced DFX. But the overtime is flowing like wine at work, so who knows. Any feedback, experiences is greatly appreciated.

And if I don't jump on this (probably won't muddle over it much more than a week) I told Dave I'd try and help him get rid of it. Anyone interested in it as well, post here or shoot a PM and I can put you in touch with him for a local sale (lives in Durham, CT).

Thanks!

Name:  V3i.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  76.1 KB
    Last edited by Trooper Bri; 09-02-2014 at 06:26 PM.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Well as it's the i version, which is the latest version. The old version was just the V3. For $700 that's a steal as it normally runs double that $. It takes a bit getting used to but I love mine & it does me well here in CT. The DFX is good as well as it runs in 2 Freq all the time.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Thanks Rebel.

Don't mind a bit of a learning curve. Rather get it in while I'm already learning, especially if it's a decent price and there's no red flags I need to watch for. Not afraid of a little technology. Just like my Lesche, want to buy something I can forget about and settle in with. The Garrett is a great detector for $300, but I need something more engaging.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

if you like to make all kinds of adjustments the v3i will give you that lol, the one thing to check is the coils, make sure they will not overload with the sensitivity at 15 and the boost off, as well as making sure the extra coil is v-rated for the machine, this was one of the problems I had with mine was the coils I went through 2 0r 3 coils but whites did take care of me when I had a problem which I'm sure they would do for you also. make sure you get the setup password from the original owner if you don't have that you will need to call whites to be able to register the machine for the new owner, it is a great price for a working v3i, especially if those are the wireless headphones that are shown, if I remember right they are 3 to 400.00 alone, good luck on your decision, hope this helps.

sarge
    Be Safe And Happy Hunting All

Sarge

Watch the coils. Like Sarge said. That's a heck of a good deal. I would use the D2 coil, and sell the SEF coil. That will make it an even better deal!
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Super deal, you could easily make money off that detector if that's what you chose to do with it.

Sarge, thank you for the info. Very much appreciated! I'll have to consult the great oracle YouTube in a bit and seekout overload examples so I know what I'm looking for. And yes, it's a wireless setup.

The uncle is active in the hobby, and upgraded to an underwater detector, so I'd hope he knows his coils. I'll check it out with the D2 since as Sage points out, is the one I'd default to anyways.
    And no giant, she's home to stay if I pull the trigger on this. Maybe sell the SEF coil and probably hang onto the pinpointer so I'll have a backup.

Got a couple e-mails for craigslist stuff this week too. I smell a new toy! Thanks again for for the input guys!

that is a great price, overload is easy to tell, if you go over a large metal object it will say overload on the screen and produce a low sound,

hope this helps
    Be Safe And Happy Hunting All

Sarge

I have had my V3i for a little over a year now. I love it.

It takes some getting used to with all of the programmable options, but once you get it figured out it is turn on and go. I hardly ever make any changes any more except the same ones over and over. Gain , frequency adjust for EMI if needed, back and forth between Stereo Mixed Mode and Discriminate Mode. The Stereo Mixed Mode is super for relic hunting. I have not used it at any beach but hear it does just as well in both wet and dry sand. There is also a salt compensate mode.

Never used the SEF coil. My go to is the stock 10DD and a 4X6 shooter coil. I also use the 12 inch Super coil under open range conditions. The V3i is software adjustable for each coil. Let the V know which coil you are using and all functions are automaticly compensated for the appropriate coil.

If you not want it I would be more than happy to take it off your hands. At half the price it is a steal. I would love to purchase a second unit for my son, as he always wants to use mine.

I found a couple vids Sarge, and yup, even a noob like me would have figured that out.
    Downloaded the manual for it last night, but working 12 hour shifts this week got my butt dragging. Didn't get far into it.

From the PM's I've gotten, apparently flipping this for a profit would be easy. But, that won't happen. If it's not the machine for me, she gets posted here for what I paid. Ya'll are way too nice to me, paying it forward where I can.

Headed out in the AM to bag it!

Thanks everyone for the input and advice. After poking through the goods, she came home with me. Worked fine, and even found a copper penny 5" down. Doesn't look like the case screws have ever been touched.

The previous owner definitely used it. She has a few scrapes and scratches. Spent some time this afternoon breaking it down, clean & inspect, and re-assembled. Replaced one of the missing rubber washers on the coil pivot with something out of my rollaway. With 3 packs included, expected 2 to be rechargeable with the 3'rd alkaline box. Nope, all 3 NiMh. One is a factory rechargeable, the other 2 are mods to alkaline boxes. I'm charging the two of them now, and will gut the pack with the lowest voltage and use it for alkalines.

The crop circle is an 18x15 by Detech. Compatible with the Spectra series and other detectors. That puppy wasn't cheap, and obviously the one he used most from the wear. The D2 has less wear than my DD on my Garrett. The pinpointer was cheap. A Bounty Hunter. And it looks like the guy was smart enough to write down the PW in a book. Gonna go outside when it cools off in a bit and replace the owner info.

Anyone know if that metal stand that screws onto the other series detectors will fit this? The guy had some cover on it (not for a V3i), but the box isn't very protected on the bottom. I've got to place an order with them for the display window, and order a trigger switch as cheap insurance. I'll add the bracket in if it does.

Name:  BattMod.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  73.7 KB
    Name:  Scarface.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  59.4 KB
    Name:  MyV3i.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  93.7 KB
    Last edited by Trooper Bri; 09-06-2014 at 07:59 PM.

Wow, you made out like a bandit! I wondered if the pinpointer was a TRX - I probably would have bought the whole deal if it was!
    As for the battery packs, Tenergy are some of the best rechargeables around, and those are 2600 mAh to boot! Don't take those packs apart - use them! If you want a pen light pack (for what?) they are $15 from Whites. Find something interesting, write a story about it and send it to Whites. If they like it you'll get $100 gift certificate. Then you can get $100 in Whites accessories.
    Oh, how do you charge the batteries? Is it with the Whites charger or is there a separate one? You'll never need to use alkaline batteries again. We should talk. It takes too long to type this stuff!
    -Chuck

I use rechargeables in all my machines and also the 9 Volt in my pinpointer too. Best thing I ever did.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    I use rechargeables in all my machines and also the 9 Volt in my pinpointer too. Best thing I ever did.
    So far the upgrades I've done which I haven't posted yet all had rechargeable batteries. But I still been using regular in the machine. Higher amp*hr batteries are better for high drain applications. I saw some rechargeable 9v that I was thinking to get and it may happen. Prob for next spring for next season and just use up the regulars I got left. I think I went thru 29 for the pointer but I've changed batteries for machine like 10 times this season and I haven't been out what I'd like, and not nearly as much as like Dave/Todd or Don.

I'm definitely using rechargeables in the Whites. But will replace those oddball brand cells with Sanyo or Panasonic. Highest mAh I can get to hold the voltage longest. The alkaline pack mod is slick, and you don't need to solder a battery pack together. Slap them in. Just looks like a diode between the added charge tab and pack ground.

But, an alkaline battery is 1.5 volts. Multiply that by 8, and you get 12 volts. What your Whites really craves.
    Rechargables are 1.2 volts. Multiply that by 8 and you get 9.6 volts. That's kind of a nominal number though, as off the charger good packs will show over 11, and settle into the 10's.

The 12v pack I'll dump in for fun. I have a stockpile of AA's (don't ask).

Is that a split supply? As in +6v and -6 (for alkaline or 4.8 for rechargeables). Based upon what u said it gets charged from say a 12v motorcycle charger and used as split supply. The diode is probably just protection in case someone inserts batteries wrong. I guess the machine wasn't equipped to handle such. Even if u designed with a polarized plug u still would want protection diodes. Guess the unit isn't temperamental if it's voltage can vary like that. Mine tells me when the batteries need replacing as in a lower voltage battery may have a good enough charge but the meter may say it's going dead in my machine.

I'm an airhead Jim. Not a diode, a thermistor. They kinda look alike. The foil tape was looking me in the face too, duuuur. It's overheat protection for the pack while charging, and why it's in the rear where it gets hot last.

Lol. I was thinking it looked like thermal protection (well the RTD part at least) and it was in the original reply but I took it out thinking u knew it was a protection diode. I didn't think thermal protection was required cuz I figured the charger had the capability to stop when fully charged. Oh well.

I'd hope the charger is looking out for voltage drop, etc, and shutting down. Guessing it's there as a safety measure? I don't disassemble many battery packs these days.

Trooper Bri, I just noticed you're from Ellington. I've spent many hours hunting pheasants and geese over on Green Rd. at the McKnight and Gale's properties.

As for the 1.5v vs. 1.2v batteries in the V3i - I don't think it matters. The V3i has an onboard volt meter and regulator. It operates fine on any batteries until the total voltage gets below 9v. On my machine, the only time it makes a difference is about 1 minute before the batteries run out and the machine shuts down. For that 1 minute or so the detector can act really flaky due to low voltage.