Thread: I've joined "The Club"! - 4/23

I've joined "The Club"! - 4/23

So, two weeks ago when we found that we were on an untouched site, Dan made a prediction a couple hours into the hunt. With all the dandy buttons popping, there had to be a George Washington Inaugural button there.

He was right! A few hours into it, boom! It was a free-for-all on the last hunt, and this trip we had to settle down and be more methodical. It was within 10ft of the main cabin site, and we both had been swinging around it. I've cleaned it up as much as I dare for now, and the shank is intact. Alberts lists it as a WI 12b (54 marks on the border). It also gets an R5 rarity, 6-10 examples. I'm stunned to have managed a find like this in only two years of detecting.
    Name:  GWcloser.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  72.4 KB

Name:  CleanGWAD.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  104.5 KB

Name:  GWshankAD.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  97.3 KB

For the rest of the day it was back to buttons, buttons, buttons. I managed 30 in total including a flaky pewter one not shown. Not much in the fancy department this time around. Almost all were plain, some with back marks. My few non-button finds included a pewter musket ball, a few iron tack buckles, and some sort of thin brass or copper hinge half.

Not long before it really slowed down for us, I had been beating up the cabin site pulling buttons out of the nails. I started working a jumpy tone, and upon clearing out a big ol' square nail, was greeted with a nice upper 70's VDI and sweet tone. My 2'nd Nova Constellatio! Dan beat me to it and ID'd it as a Crosby 1-B with the blunt rays. Date is 1785.
    Name:  NovaObv.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  98.1 KB

Name:  NovaRevAD.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  66.3 KB

The bugs were unreal yesterday. We were swarmed the second we got out of the Jeep, and they didn't let up for 10 hours. I had to cover up completely, and wore a head net because they were chewing me alive. A beautiful day to be digging once the sun came out and it dried up. Thanks for a fun day as usual Dan, it's one I won't forget any time soon!
    Name:  GroupAD.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  76.0 KB
    Last edited by Trooper Bri; 04-24-2016 at 06:30 PM.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

WTG on the GW & Nova!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

What a club to be a member of......huge on that GW, it looks marvelous. So now you have two Nova's, again huge congrats. Great hunt you and Dan had. I'm speechless, those finds are what this hobby is all about.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Wow, awesome rare finds, all in good condition too. We'll font and congrats!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Congrats Bri. Awesome buttons
    Man, you guys have been killing it.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

That GW is one of the nicest I've ever seen posted Brian. Huge congrats. That Nova is a stunner too. Talk about a killer hunt!
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Congrats Brian and those are wonderful finds! As you say, it's hard to believe how far you've come in just a few years. I remember when just finding a wheatie was a good find on your earlier videos! Of course it helps being in an awesome part of the country to detect as we are, and to have such a great hunting partner in Dan. I sort of liken MD'ing to golf. It's those great rounds, or that odd 300 yard drive or birdie that keeps you coming back even in the tough times. I agree you'll remember this day forever.............along with your "Spoontastic" day of course. Way to go.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Lets all give a nice round to the newest inductee Brian , to the GW button club

I knew he had something good (or gotten molested by insects or odd reptile ) when I heard him yell out to me , the odd look of happiness mixed with disbelief on his face was a priceless combination to behold . It was great to share in his excitement !! It is a great button Brian and congrats on such a nice example , i've seen many in very poor shape or bent up .congratulations Brian
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

omg !!!!! i have no words Brian...........you lucky @%#$......well done mate..... im so jealous right now

That is a beautiful example of a GW button! WOW! One of the nicest I've ever seen!

Huge congrats on joining that awesome club!

I am equally impressed by the Nova! What an incredible colonial coin. You knocked the ball out of the park with this hunt, Brian!

Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Wowsers! what a great hunt!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Congrats on an incredible rare find
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Thanks everyone! I'm not sure I'll ever top a day like that.

Funny thing was, being caked in dirt, the first thing I saw was some fancy around the edges and thought it was just another dandy with some kind of pattern on it. Gave it a wipe with my thumb and saw the star and head of the eagle. That's when Dan heard me holler. There could even be others there, but with the site trashed by loggers, we may never know.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Huge congratulations that is one beautiful button and a "prize" that is near the top of every relic hunters bucket list. What a great site that you and Dan have found. Again, congratulations!

WOW! That's one of those detecting days that you will never forget!
    XP Deus

"I've cleaned it up as much as I dare for now"

You'd be crazy to do anything more because it's as good as it can be. In fact, other than loaded with silver or gold you can't ask for much better from a dug button.

You'll definitely not forget that one and have a couple of kick a$$ mementos to remind you if you do.

HOORAYYYYY!!!
    That is one beautiful example too! That will be the center of a display for years to come....congrats on a special day.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

What a great find! Congratulations!
    Gary
    Dutchess County NY
    https://www.youtube.com/user/gkillmer
    Present: CTX 3030, Detectorpro Uniprobe
    Past: Minelab E-Trac, Exp- II, Sov
    Oldest US Coin: 1793 Liberty Cap Cent
    Story http://goo.gl/1GR9cR

Oldest Silver: 1776 1/2 Reale
    Story here http://goo.gl/KaY13f

Oldest Coin: 169? King William 1/2
    Story http://goo.gl/xKjtrQ

Oldest: 3500 to 5000 year old Copper Adz

Story http://goo.gl/Xr6qIM

Great finds. I need to go east to find something like that. Congrats.
    2017 Total:
    Mercs= 2
    Wash=1
    Seated=1
    total slivers=4
    Wheats 8.
    Indians=4 (1864,1865,1888)
    LG cents=1
    1 Sliver Pendent, 2= 3-ringers, 2 tokens

Most Valuable find ever: 1834 C.B. dime, Oldest 1776 1/2 Reale, Biggest 1822 CB half.
    Detectors: E-trac and F75LTD2