Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weekend Cellar Holes *Silver Dollar spill, 6th GW Button, Shoe Buckle Spill..oh my!*

Weekend Cellar Holes *Silver Dollar spill, 6th GW Button, Shoe Buckle Spill..oh my!*

I don't even know what to say? So many crazy things happening during this weekends hunts.

I guess I will go in chronological order with so much happening but I don't want to ramble on so here it goes...
    Saturday Sept 6th:
    -Dave and I secure permission to hunt Mill sites and Cellar holes on private land(170+ acres).
    -Land owner is unbelievably nice, we Invite Dan(del).
    -We hit the mill site and cellar hole, it's pounded(poached by trespassers) only a few buttons there.
    -Dan finds the other cellar hole near by and we all get coppers, I got a defaced King George I and 1743 King George II.
    -We scope out another cellar hole and Dan brings a half dozen yellow jackets with him into the truck. They go up his pants and he gets stung multiple times. I spray inside his boots with Bee Bopper.
    -we decide to hunt a field next to the homestead as Dan's hands swell up like balloons. Dan Leaves.
    -Dave and I decide to head over to the cellar hole we scouted earlier even though it is extremely trashy. I take a path from the barn to the cellar hole and hear a 95+VDI number on my MXT Pro. I'm thinking big trashy aluminum piece put decide to dig it because my ears tell me to. I see a huge silver disk and think it's play money, then I see 3 more stacked in the same hole and pick one up. Coin is very heavy and I drop it in shock, my brain could not comprehend what I just dug. I finally come to my senses and yell..."Dave! You're never gonna guess what I just found!"
    -Thunder and rain starts 5 mins after being at this site and we leave for the day. Here is a video of the coin spill

Sunday sept. 7th:
    -New sites. We hike 45 mins in the woods. One cellar hole turns into five.
    - First Hole Dave gets 6 coppers, I get shoe buckles and a 1787 Connecticut. Then I try to persuade Dave to hunt across the way in a side pen. I get a shield Nickle and then find another cellar hole.
    -I call Dave over and then a few mins in, I get my 6th George Washington Innagurational Button. It's Eagle with star variety and rolled up like a burrito!
    - Find another cellar hole and it's hammered.
    - We decide to head back to the car and stumble upon our 4th Cellar Hole. I get a nice signal on the side of the chimney pile and pull out 3 shoe buckles and two sets of tongue and chapes in one 2ft by 2ft stone pile. A shoe buckle spill! Holy cow
    -It's getting Dark and my phone is dead so no more GPS
    - We keep making our way back on gut instinct and then we walk over a Well, look around... no cellar hole. I see a flat area on a mound near the well. It's a cabin site. Getting darker but we have to know if it's a real site. I dig up three cloakers immediately and Dave gets a deep shoe buckle frame.
    - Yes! Site confirmed but we have to leave...to be continued this coming week end Whew!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images                          
    Last edited by Epi-hunter; 09-11-2014 at 07:16 PM. Reason: language
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Wow that's a lot of finds. Well in the long rambling story there were quite a few spots you hit. Silver is still silver. May not be Morgan's but they are still silver dollars. They are worth about $15 a piece. The plastic and the fact they are really shiny I'm sure they were a collection. Like a plastic sleeve sheet. Wish I could find that much stuff in a few hunts.

GREAT digs Todd... amazing variety of finds. The silver dollar spill is just crazy... how did that get there?! I'm also wondering how that GW button got rolled up like that and why someone would do that?! What a cool find! Love the KG's and shoe buckle frames as well. "Perfect" hunt!
    I <3 colonial relics!

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    GREAT digs Todd... amazing variety of finds. The silver dollar spill is just crazy... how did that get there?! I'm also wondering how that GW button got rolled up like that and why someone would do that?! What a cool find! Love the KG's and shoe buckle frames as well. "Perfect" hunt!
    Isaac, Dave and I were thinking about the coin spill and because they were minted in 1958 and uncirculated, we think they could have been stolen and then stashed or dropped as they were running from the crime. You just don't lose 5 silver dollars with out noticing you dropped them. They weigh over 4 ounces and any one carrying them would know if you dropped them. Very weird and very out of place

That is a nice buckle spill. Love that pic of the opening between the walls and trees.

And as you guys pointed out in the vid, what the heck are a stack of weird Canadian dollars doing out in the woods?
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

What a hunt those kinda days are few and far between
    Oldest Coin - 1830 Large Cent
    Oldest Silver - 1898 Barber Dime

Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro Pointer

lol at the summary! in a nut shell that's how it went! awesome past couple of hunts.that ornate shoe buckle has to be my fave find of yours.yep even over the GW! that buckle is saaaaweeeeeet!
    congrats! you need a whole relic case to hold 2 hunts worth of finds!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

That is spectacular! I'm pretty much at a loss for words! Congratulations!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

Quote Originally Posted by Thiltzy View Post
    we think they could have been stolen and then stashed or dropped as they were running from the crime. You just don't lose 5 silver dollars with out noticing you dropped them. They weigh over 4 ounces and any one carrying them would know if you dropped them. Very weird and very out of place
    Lol. I like your analogy. There were 75 Canadian silver dollats stolen out in Ohio in 2012, but to be out this way. Were you thinking it was stolen from the house and the thief tried to run to hide in the barn? I was thinking the family in that specific house had to pack their things before leaving the house to fall apart. Maybe a bag was put down and they (or a sleeve of them) fell out. Not trying to put something be a kill joy.

amazing couple of days Todd , I told you you'd come right back with "authority" after that hunt with Isaac and thanks for using the bug spray on my attackers.

I'm not entirely sure but your Connecticut looks very close to a Miller 33.28-Z-16. "snipe nose " variety as it looks like the die crack on the obverse coming between the two "N N " in "connec" going across the face. but yours looks like an early one before the crack got to the nose area on the bust. hopefully either Don or Jeyes will help out and tell me if i'm wrong or confirm it .
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by del; 09-11-2014 at 07:17 AM.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

That is a hunt for the annals of detecting history . I would give it three "11"s if I could. YOW!
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Love the story Todd. Save your narrative because you may forget the particulars as the years roll by. Saw your video and just wish one of us could have been there to tell the story on how the Canadian Silvers got there. Like your idea though. Nobody is just going to carry a lug of mint-state silver dollars around in the woods with them unless...well people are weird aren't they? Perhaps a hunters good luck charm! Thanks for posting and love the ornate buckle.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Todd, great post. I had already viewed the video of the Canadian spill before you posted this and I was just .
    Great group of relics but I have one question. First of all congrats on GW #6, but are you going to have it restored?
    Can't wait till next weekends post.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

That is a great post and when you are old and gray sitting around the fireplace with Dave and you will say "remember that day when I found the Silver Dollar spill and.." And Dave will interrupt and say "To heck with that grab your stuff old man we're hitting that sucker again!"
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by Bell-Two View Post
    That is a great post and when you are old and gray sitting around the fireplace with Dave and you will say "remember that day when I found the Silver Dollar spill and.." And Dave will interrupt and say "To heck with that grab your stuff old man we're hitting that sucker again!"
    LOL Tony!

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Todd, great post. I had already viewed the video of the Canadian spill before you posted this and I was just .
    Great group of relics but I have one question. First of all congrats on GW #6, but are you going to have it restored?
    Can't wait till next weekends post.
    I have a guys name that does excellent restoration work, I will probably send it to him.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    amazing couple of days Todd , I told you you'd come right back with "authority" after that hunt with Isaac and thanks for using the bug spray on my attackers.

I'm not entirely sure but your Connecticut looks very close to a Miller 33.28-Z-16. "snipe nose " variety as it looks like the die crack on the obverse coming between the two "N N " in "connec" going across the face. but yours looks like an early one before the crack got to the nose area on the bust. hopefully either Don or Jeyes will help out and tell me if i'm wrong or confirm it .
    Thanks for the info on The Connec Dan and glad to hear you feeling better. Dave had me very concerned when he said you ditched us

again I'm not positive on the copper and was hoping someone else would chime in on it .

Quote Originally Posted by Thiltzy View Post
    glad to hear you feeling better. Dave had me very concerned when he said you ditched us
    yeah it was weird , my hands have never swelled up like that before and was a bit "woozy" so i felt it best if i went home . I'm kicking myself now because I would of loved to see you find them silver dollars in person they were an amazing find Todd.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

As I once heard Danny Glover and Joe Pesche say "Border-line eleben"
    V3i and Eagle Spectrum.

Oldest Coin 1813 Large Cent
    Favorite Coin 1907 Barber Quarter