Thread: A new 1820 permission and a 9 mile day in the woods.

A new 1820 permission and a 9 mile day in the woods.

I apologize up front for the long winded part, and I even left stuff out. But hopefully the pics do the words outweigh the long write-up.

On the way out to a few cellars that I visited on the 9th, I drove by this house I knew was in disrepair. I saw some sign out front from the town which prompted me to check the assessor info and the old map. Sure enough, even tho the chimneys were on the outside of the house, it was on the 1868 map. So when I got some time on Thurs I drove by. First I was going to check the spot and make sure it was still standing, being under the impression it was being torn down. I saw people there so I stopped. I explained what I was intending and got a sure. I wasn't quite dressed for hunting but It was insisted I take it out and start swinging. The small coils was on the machine so I didn't have much coverage. I did manage to find a 6 wheatie spill in the front yard and a set of keys toward the back of the driveway. A bit funny for the company name on the fob for those who know... They did also let me inside to check the part of the basement that was still dirt. They were patching the holes between the brownstone and pouring concrete for footings.

Crazy to see how it was built. Those who are wondering, there are a few pics of how a house was built in 1820. The main beams were hickory and were hand chiseled after a rough cut. The beams were notched while the joists were cut at the ends and just layed in place. NO NAILS used. For the support of the second floor, it was simply like 1.5" x the width of the tree trunk. Several were used and just wedged in to support the beams and joists. Floor boards were similar, just one sliced trunk and laid down side by side. The actual cove for the chimney was only 6-8" deep and there was no hearth. The floor was almost right up to the fireplace with a small gap in the flooring. Guess they all had to have some screens over every fireplace at all times.
    Name:  Brownstone foundation.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  54.3 KBName:  Floorboads 1820.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  46.5 KBName:  1820 Supports.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  52.2 KB
    Friday I went back for a bit and I had the bigger coil on. The machine went crazy. The owner said he doesn't know of any dog fences nearby so idk what the interference was from. I still managed to find a few keepers. Another wheatie came up. My oldest dogtag came up being a 1910. I was freaking out because I thought I put it in my pocket and when I found the next target, I couldn't find it anymore. I was tenacious and going back over and over the same area trying to find a semi-repeatable high 60's low 70's target on the surface. Turns out there is actually a pocket behind the side pocket and that's where it was hidden. Almost gave me a heart attack I could lose something that quickly after finding it. But, after the dog tag, I pulled up a nice two piece floral design button. We all know what happens to iron when it rusts, but the diluted CLR helped pop some of the silver on it. Afterward I got a 1901 IH in great shape. Around the edge of the property I pulled up a, 1897. It fooled me thinking I could see 18X7.. but its 20 years later. IT WAS RIGHT ON THE SURFACE. Not even 1" deep. And a few inches away the other VDI I was getting mixed was a glass nipper bottle with the cap end buried (so obvi deeper than the IH but was a much newer item). Wth?? I did get some picks during the cleaning process.

Name:  Support Object.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  55.4 KBName:  Floral Button #2.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  60.9 KBName:  Dual Indians and Wheat.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  92.0 KBName:  HS fob.jpg
Size:  103.7 KBName:  Set of Keys.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  55.2 KBName:  Floral Button 1820.jpg
Size:  104.9 KBName:  Indians Fronts.jpg
Size:  65.4 KBName:  IH backs pink.jpg
Size:  78.5 KBName:  AntlersCoral Object.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  61.0 KBName:  Unknown disk.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  54.3 KBName:  Oil cleaning button.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  58.7 KBName:  IH cleaning Process.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  55.3 KBName:  IH cleaning Reverse.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  56.4 KB

On the Wed before I got the 1820 permission, I was at the club meeting and at the end I kinda set up some networking to hunt with some fellas. Turns out only one could make Saturday and one could make Sunday. I killed myself Saturday and needed to recover on Sunday, so I didn't end up making that outing, however there was no definitive plan made for Sun. I told the guy where we were going so that we could plan where to meet up and take one vehicle for parking purposes. Good thing I put forth the information as he researched more on figured which sites were better to hit, granted there was some collaboration with me. Turned out this was a great spot to hit.

Saturday was a grueling hike in traversing the side of a ravine. The first two houses were destroyed. We found the next three, but decided to save them for on the way back out and to hit further spots. Turns out on the way in we found a cellar not on the map, and that spot I will elude for now. We found the spot we would eventually spend most of the day at surrounded by huge old maples. We still tried to find the far spot. There was another long hike to the spot; it was further than the historic map depicted. It was trashy with an entire truck torn apart and littering the landscape. Since there were a few recent dig holes., we went back to the previous spot and set up camp. Things started slow for me because there was a lot of trash there and a ton of iron. In case any of you wonder what those triangular pieces are.. they are from a tiller piece. The hunting buddy found a wheat (which he first thought was an IH) and then a token which has yet to be identified. I saw it before but idr what it was. Dated 1908 and same diameter of an LC, tho.
    Name:  Cellar Panorama.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  97.1 KBName:  Dave's Car.jpg
Size:  147.5 KBName:  Rose Cellar.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  146.9 KBName:  Dr Walkout.jpg
Size:  146.3 KBName:  Dr Dwelling.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  132.7 KBName:  Silo.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  147.8 KBName:  Old Bridge Beams.jpg
Size:  86.0 KBName:  Old Bridge Footings.jpg
Size:  126.5 KBName:  Vagitation.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  113.0 KBName:  Shrrom Stump.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  130.0 KB
    I followed him to that area and soon after I found a brooch. It has a stone in it. I knew it was a big Victorian brooch. A few min later I get a nice tone and out pops a heart shaped floral pin. Then there was another good tone. Out comes a sash clip piece. He was jealous at that point. well... Jealous of the brooch even before the clip came up. After rechecking the spot there was still another signal, so I let him dig it an keep it. Turns out there was another ornate Victorian piece. I got a pic of it with the other piece from the same hole, but you can tell its not a repeat clean find so that's the one he dug. Later on he got himself a sash buckle piece anyway.
    Name:  Curled Caterpillar.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  111.2 KBName:  Buckels Dug.jpg
Size:  123.4 KBName:  Lanterns.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  78.1 KBName:  Brooch Dug.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  83.0 KBName:  Brooch Front #2.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  64.9 KBName:  Brooch Front.jpg
Size:  62.3 KBName:  Brooch Back.jpg
Size:  107.5 KBName:  Sash Clip Front.jpg
Size:  64.4 KBName:  Sash Clip.jpg
Size:  45.7 KBName:  Watch Case #2.jpg
Size:  80.5 KBName:  Watch Case.jpg
Size:  90.9 KBName:  Watch Cover.jpg
Size:  51.2 KBName:  Floral Pin.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  146.4 KBName:  Dog tag, suspender clip.jpg
Size:  91.0 KBName:  Pat date lantern knob.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  39.8 KBName:  Stirrup.jpg
Size:  91.9 KBName:  Pweter Spoon.jpg
Size:  65.3 KBName:  Bullet 1906.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  34.7 KBName:  Tiller triangles.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  131.9 KB

After the spot cleared up, I moved along to the other side of the road. There was activity galore there. A few odd pieces came out there too. There wasn't much to speak of for finds from that area. I came back to in front of the cellar where it was a lot of saplings. I pulled up a button with some patch like design. I saw a field mouse scamper away too under the leaves and then into a hole in a dead tree on the ground. At this site I also scored a stirrup, a first for me, and a few ox knobs. Yippe on the knobs... lol.
    Name:  Unknown cylinder.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  59.0 KBName:  Dual Ox knobs.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  47.5 KBName:  D Buckle w leather.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  69.2 KBName:  Checker button.jpg
Size:  79.8 KBName:  Single Ring Button.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  76.6 KBName:  Sum of FInds.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  66.3 KB
    On the way back we hit the cellar not on the map. Immediately I turned on the detector and not 1 min after swinging, I come up over the edge of the road and hit a bingo. A matron right near the surface. Apparently anyone here missed this piece. Lucky for me. I continued to then check near the well. There was nothing in the way of iron in the spot which made us question why there was none. Within 5 min of being here I hit a second largie. Right near the corner of the yard. This one was a little deeper. Then for a while there were no real finds. Maybe one piece of lead. Back at the cellar I went over the lip and hill and found some sort of retaining ring. It is pretty big and cant tell what it was used for. I also nabbed a button. I think it is a one piece design, but the ring on the back makes it look two piece. The lettering on the back I think says "GILT".. whatever gilt there was is no longer. After a few we picked up and headed home. We were both running on empty once we reached the bridge spot. Oh, and I nearly tripped into the brook on some f-in can left by an idiot on the rocks. Don't say I need to watch my steps; it was a narrow spot to pass and I was watching my balance. Hope these pictures do the finds some justice. My gf said the stone in the brooch is amber. I was thinking citrine, but it is a tad dark.
    Name:  Matron Pair.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  97.8 KBName:  Largies Soaking in oil.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  43.4 KBName:  Big collar Clamp.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  55.7 KBName:  Button.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  92.1 KB
    Last edited by MangoAve; 04-18-2016 at 01:25 PM.

Great hunt and nice pics! What are you soaking the coins in?

Wow , Jim that was a long post to read my friend but its was good with some great pictures . congrats on the coppers and indians but i really do like the late victorian era brooch , i'm pretty sure the stone is cut glass and not amber or citrine . Colored cut glass on silver or gold plated jewelry was so abundant during this period , don't get me wrong it was very detailed and well made by skilled artisans and inexpensive . I like it !
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

First congrats on some great finds! Second congrats on the longest post of the year! Seriously though you found some great items...the Indians and LC and pocket watch frame are my favs.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Glad I'm retired so I had enough time to read this post Really nice bunch of finds Jim! Love that button in the 2nd picture. That Hamilton Standard fob is awesome. Remind you of work?

WTG on the double coppers! Still looking for my 1st this season.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Congrats on the old jewelry and LC's. Got yourself a real old dog tag also, don't usually see them that old...
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Wow , Jim that was a long post to read my friend but its was good with some great pictures . congrats on the coppers and indians but i really do like the late victorian era brooch , i'm pretty sure the stone is cut glass and not amber or citrine . Colored cut glass on silver or gold plated jewelry was so abundant during this period , don't get me wrong it was very detailed and well made by skilled artisans and inexpensive . I like it !
    Thanks, Dan. I can cut down the post a little... lol. But It may give something for others to read during the winter when they actively peruse this site instead of swinging. Bruce was jealous of that brooch. That's not two brooches with some sort of "stone". Kev said it is Egyptian revival. Definitely a unique find. I'm sure I will find out whether its amber or glass. I only said citrine because that was the only one that came to mind that was orange and used for jewelry but I thought this was too dark to be citrine. And, I did give some faith in the gf's disposition because she can go to a store and know the maker of the jewelry by design (well, that's by today's makers which have more produced of each design). The coppers were a nice addition, tho. Burce had already found a few coins at the first spot and I was at a big fat 0 with coins.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
    First congrats on some great finds! Second congrats on the longest post of the year! Seriously though you found some great items...the Indians and LC and pocket watch frame are my favs.
    Thanks Buck. Glad I could get a huge post done with all the time I have had lately. I'm on break and my boss literally just yelled at me. So far I could only find watch covers or a bezel. At least this is more to one that I can find.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE54 View Post
    Glad I'm retired so I had enough time to read this post Really nice bunch of finds Jim! Love that button in the 2nd picture. That Hamilton Standard fob is awesome. Remind you of work?
    Lol. I'm just trying to keep you sharp.. Thanks, Mike. I was happy to find the button too. A 6 wheat spill (which was actually 7 cuz on Monday I found a wheat on top of the ground in the little bit of dirt around the same dig hole), wasn't spectacular for a place from 1820. Yeah.. it was odd to find that fob and it hasn't been that name in over 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel View Post
    WTG on the double coppers! Still looking for my 1st this season.
    Thanks, Rog. You haven't gotten one yet this year? I'm a little surprised at that, however I am low for this year on coppers compared to last year.

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Congrats on the old jewelry and LC's. Got yourself a real old dog tag also, don't usually see them that old...
    Thanks, Al. UMmmmm... Monday, not 5 ft away from the 1910 dog tag.... was a 1909 one. wth???

Quote Originally Posted by ewcoinhunter View Post
    Great hunt and nice pics! What are you soaking the coins in?
    Thanks. Idky I did multi quote but this didn't take. I def remember seeing the Q and knew I didn't answer. The stuff is soaking in oil. The more yellow is olive oil. Other idk... Prob vegetable oil. It was left over. So far it's kept the ih and wheats looking good. It's preserved the green patinas. But I still end up with some coins that get a pitting in the surface which means some detail gets removed. It'd be like that regardless if using oil or hot peroxide.

Thanks for the information. Always good to hear what others are doing.

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    I also like the brooch, a very cool find. Congrats on a bunch of nice finds, WTG.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber