Thread: A no leads me to an opportunity.

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

A no leads me to an opportunity.

I was looking for permission from the pastor to detect an old country church grounds a few weeks ago. He stated that he would be OK with it but needed to clear it with the church committee. That is almost always a definite no in my experience. I was right, he called me a week later and said they did not want me on the property. He also stated that most of it had been filled and he thought I might not find much anyway. We talked some more about the hobby and he mentioned an opportunity for a place to detect. Without getting into too much detail it turned out to be a virgin swimming hole. I don’t want to say too much more about the site because I do not want to get poached by the internet trolls.
    i did some reasearch and recon on the site. I found out it was public property so I was good to go. I contacted Tim, Ill digger and asked if he wanted to join me. Guess what he said? We set up a day to meet at the site and within a few minutes I got my first good target a war Nickel 1944-P. We started digging swim buckles shortly after that so we knew we were onto a great spot. I struck Gold first with a nice 3.3 gram 18K wedding band. Tim was on board with a nice silver coin ring shortly after that. I managed to find another silver coin 1964 Washington and 4 wheats along with several swim buckles and an old locker tag. I also found 4 more rings that were old but not presious metal. After a short break Tim stuck his first of 3 golds a nice signet ring. I’ll let him post the rest of his finds.
    My return trip a week later did not go as well but I did manage 3 more rings one was stamped 14K GF. I also found 2 buffalo nickels a no date and a 1915.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Big congrats on the finds, that gold is sweet! I've been researching for over a year trying to find any old swimming holes in the region with little luck. Every swimming hole I found out about has either been filled in and built over, been made private and inaccessable, or been dredged and had the bottom lined due to PCB removal.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Congrats on the finds! That is awesome when you know you are likely the first to detect a spot.
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.

Nice going on your great finds and kudos for sharing your spot with Timmy .

very nice. congrats!
    Scott
    Rogue Relic Hunter
    Virginia Colony

East Coast Relic Hunters - "We don't just read history, we save it!"