Thread: HF Coil For Coin Detecting?

HF Coil For Coin Detecting?

just purchased another Minelab X-Terra 705, but this with HF coil. Would like to hear from others on our Family Forum your adventures, thoughts, or experiences using the X- Terra 705 HF for coin detecting. This discussion is not limited to just those that have used the HF X-Terra 705 but others that have used different HF detectors for Coin an/or Jewelry, Relics.

BTW HF X-Terra is 18.75 kHz. just to give the Forum of where I'm coming from. Your input would be very much appreciated. Thank you very much! SP ... USAF 62-66

On my X-terra, the HF coil killed it on nickels, but on the average didn't hit nearly as deep on the higher conductive coins. Apparently it was Minelabs attempt at a lower cost VLF machine for prospecting use. But, if you are in an area with high mineralization, the HF coil works better than the stock.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Thank you for sharing Digger as that helps! Hopefully when I can get out it I'll be able to post an update. KK

Candidate Member
    I have been using the X TERRA 705 since 09 or 2010 the one coil which vary seldom comes off of my 705 is the 5x10 18.75 KHz coil

when I first purchased the 705 which was used but in like new condition came with three coils the HF 5x10 the standard 9 inch MF and a 6 inch 3 KHz coil my deepest finds to date have been with the 5x10 HF coil also my best find to date has been with that coil which was under a house my wife and I owned in Ohio now because of the area I detect and what I detect for is the reason the 5x10 HF coil never comes off which is in Arizona for gold

In your post you were looking for opinions of HF detectors for coin shooting I also use a GM 1000 (Gold Monster) 45 KHz for detecting gold which I have also found several coins with it,the reason being is on the meter that is on the GM 1000 it will see a coin on the meter as a gold chance or non ferrous target the meter is pretty accurate as far as telling you if it is ferrous iron target or non ferrous I.E (Gold,Aluminum,Brass ,Lead ,or coins nickels,dimes,quarters)

It was quite a shock to me when I discovered that fact but it is fact the difference is when you get your coil over a non ferrous target,an actual gold nugget will have a low tone and everything else like brass,lead,aluminum foil or pull tabs,nickels,dimes,and quarters will have a high tone

I hope all this helps

Quote Originally Posted by oldkoot View Post
    I have been using the X TERRA 705 since 09 or 2010 the one coil which vary seldom comes off of my 705 is the 5x10 18.75 KHz coil

when I first purchased the 705 which was used but in like new condition came with three coils the HF 5x10 the standard 9 inch MF and a 6 inch 3 KHz coil my deepest finds to date have been with the 5x10 HF coil also my best find to date has been with that coil which was under a house my wife and I owned in Ohio now because of the area I detect and what I detect for is the reason the 5x10 HF coil never comes off which is in Arizona for gold

In your post you were looking for opinions of HF detectors for coin shooting I also use a GM 1000 (Gold Monster) 45 KHz for detecting gold which I have also found several coins with it,the reason being is on the meter that is on the GM 1000 it will see a coin on the meter as a gold chance or non ferrous target the meter is pretty accurate as far as telling you if it is ferrous iron target or non ferrous I.E (Gold,Aluminum,Brass ,Lead ,or coins nickels,dimes,quarters)

It was quite a shock to me when I discovered that fact but it is fact the difference is when you get your coil over a non ferrous target,an actual gold nugget will have a low tone and everything else like brass,lead,aluminum foil or pull tabs,nickels,dimes,and quarters will have a high tone

I hope all this helps
    Yes ... that has helped me to get a better perspective of what it will and can do with your actual field report. Thanks very much for taking the time to do the workup. Hopefully this old SC will be up to taking it out here shortly and go over a familiar area. KK