Thread: a satisfying day

a satisfying day

about a week ago i was contacted by a bloke from Glastonbury who had lost his grandmothers wedding ring 3 years ago while gardening , it was on his wife's finger while they where digging and he was afraid it would fall off of her finger so he put it on his.......and guess what ? yup...he lost it lol.
    after looking for it for a few days sifting the dirt with a screen he had not found it.
    fast forward to today, me and a relatively new detectorist named tom hit this very small back yard,the guy peter tells us he lost it in an area about 5ft by 5ft but after 20mins or so i got to thinking it may of been kicked out a little bit.
    i tell tom to search about 2ft out from the plot,a minute later tom shouts over "ohh i have a coin,don't know what it is though" i walk over and there in his hand is a 1827 capped bust dime !!!!!.
    i told him what it was and he is like "is that good ?" im like "errr yer" lol.
    5 minuets later with the guy peter standing there tom pipes up "is this it ?" and there was the ring !!!.
    after the pictures we hunt on for another 10 minuets and i pop out a 1920 merc,a very satisfying 30 minuets i would say.....
    great feeling returning something of a family heirloom to its rightful owner and a novice detectorist finding such a bucket Lister of a coin as well as the ring......i think me and tom may be hunting a lot together over the next few months.....hes hooked lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Tom has one I've yet to get. Did you give Pete your number for when he loses the ring again?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Tom has one I've yet to get. Did you give Pete your number for when he loses the ring again?
    funny thing drew, one of my first old coins i found when i started detecting over here was....you guessed it a capped bust 1835 dime !!!.
    my picture of the coin does not do it justice , its in fantastic condition with hair,the word liberty on her cap and every word crystal clear im thinking after looking on coin book its EF to AU condition and worth around $500.

Short but fantastic hunt Lee! Did Peter ask for the dime as well? I'd have cried if someone asked for that sort of find back, but of course I'd give it to 'em.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Great story, and a good deed done! Congrats on both the ring and coins!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Quote Originally Posted by BTV Digger View Post
    Short but fantastic hunt Lee! Did Peter ask for the dime as well? I'd have cried if someone asked for that sort of find back, but of course I'd give it to 'em.

John
    no digger he let us keep everything we found and said we can come back any time

What an amazing hunt filled with so many frontal attacks to the law of averages . Is that Tom holding the Tesoro ?

What a terrific story! Everybody won!
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Thrills View Post
    What an amazing hunt filled with so many frontal attacks to the law of averages . Is that Tom holding the Tesoro ?
    yes it is.

That is a great story! Thanks for sharing and congrats on all the great things you guys found!!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Elite Member
    great day to be a detectorist. return a ring and get a newbie a great find. Nice job. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Nice. I wonder tho how you got lucky that the lost ring was also at a house old enough to have a capped bust.
    Hunting over the next few months? or until the ground freezes?

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Nice. I wonder tho how you got lucky that the lost ring was also at a house old enough to have a capped bust.
    Hunting over the next few months? or until the ground freezes?
    the house is not old jim 1990 in fact. but the ground is....old strawberry field back in the day.
    just goes to show you that just because the property aint 17/18 hundreds you never know what was there before.
    give me a shout when you lot go out next...i would love to tag along....im off tomorrow (Tuesday) if your around.

Great story with a great ending. Like Drew said Tom got a coin that most of us are still looking for.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album