Thread: 11th Hunt in Connecticut - Sterling Spoon - Large Coppa (Chinese)

11th Hunt in Connecticut - Sterling Spoon - Large Coppa (Chinese)

Hello all!

It was 70 here yesterday... The first day of spring and our part of CT averages 47 degrees... WoW!

I got out to a new spot (School) but righ away noticed the finds and the ground were different... 1985 dime at 8 and a 1917 Wheatie at 4 some fill, some old dirt... Some tabby... parts of ornate door hinges and stuff that was making me think there was stuff here from the 1800's... This 100 X 40 strip I was working was trashy trashy trashy... I kept digging these metal screw covers that read like a quarter @ 2 but they were more like 5-8....

First keeper was this large winder looking relic...

The wheaties were in the teens / twenties and hard to find amongst the trash.... 1917 then 1920.... a 1925...

Then this signal sounded like gold... at 3 or so... It is stamped 10K Gold Fill... Anyone know what RAFA might means? No google hits...

Then I got a 12/47 Quarter signal that was pretty consistant at 6... Out popped... a tarnished.... spoon...

I followed the tarnish removal instruction here: http://scifun.chem.wisc.edu/homeExpts/tarnish.html

Next I got a sinal that was 12/46 47 at 2 like this pesky caps... and it was 6-7 down... but it was large and green...

Thank you to aaaa (TNet) for the ID in the What is it forum...

Jiangsu “Square Dragon” 10 cash 1904-1905 << Does this count towards my Large Coppa count for the year? It is slightly bigger that a American Large Cent :-)

The last target I dug for the Day is a Cracker Jack Mystery Coin/Token... It appears to have been distributed from 1933 to 1935 range... Thank you to Letsgethammered (TNet) for the help with the date..

The days Totals:

I hope everyone had a great day detecting day!

Paul
    2013 Totals: 4 Coppers 37 Silver Coins 18 Indian Heads 4 V Nickels 5 Buffalos 137 Wheaties 4 Sterling Items
    Website: http://www.ctdirtfisher.com YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CtDirtFisher

Re: 11th Hunt in Connecticut - Sterling Spoon - Large Coppa (Chinese)

Those are some neat finds. The wheat cents look like they will clean up well, and there are some nice old ones there. It seems that the location may be yielding you some more great finds in future hunts.

Great hunt and results! Neat stuff Paul. The RAFA could stand for Royal Air Forces Association the term United We Stand was quite often used to show support during war times. Just a guess. The pentagon shape is inverted, so I would think that it does not represent the Washington pentagon.

Jack
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Great finds!! That place definitely is worth hitting again. I love the cracker jack token and the copper coin. And the pin! Looking forward to seeing what else you pull from there!
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

RAFA= Royal Air Forces Association.

http://www.rafa.org.uk

Nice variety of finds coming from a school yard.
    For every relic that rots away........a piece of history is lost.

Nice bunch of finds. The area seems to be all over the depth scale. You can't ignore any signals or go by depth. Jack and John did a great job on RAFA. thumbsup01 That key looks like a roller skate key, but could be any other key needed. Faucel keys, clock keys, various locks may have had a key like that also. But the first thing I thought of was a roller skate key. Great hunt
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold