Thread: George II copper

Veteran Member

George II copper

Dug a George II today. More detail than I usually get -- its refreshing to see something other than a blank slug or just visible bust.

Looks like 1728 as near as I can determine. Base metal period counterfeit (no patina, lower VDI), so no telling exactly what year it was actually made. Of course, my luck to get a pretty good one, and there is a little corrosion right over the last two digits of the date :bangahead01:

Only coin of the day, tho did manage a small button and some deep pottery/plate fragment as well that was with an iron target. It is interesting to get pottery out of the site to keep with my collection of relics from this site.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Re: George II copper

Nice copper Randy. I hope that corrosion is on top of the date and not into the date. You may be able to get a date off of it. From the picture it almost looks like a 173 But like you said, it could be minted anytime since it's a counterfeit. We get quite a few here as well, and they do register lower than they should. That's one way to tell for sure. It's kinda funny that the counterfeiters were debasing the copper with cheaper metals for their profit, Unknowing to them, they were doing us a favor. Mixed metals sometimes hold up much better than the Regal ones. lol Great hunt and I love some of the designs that come on our pottery fragments too. I hope you are going back
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

That's a good old one, Randy. Hopefully you will be able to remove that corrosion and make out the date.

i don't think they minted a 1728 and if they did it should be a George the first not a second. so i bet it is a 1738 or newer
    Randy , but its in very good shape and a nice find .congrats man
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Awesome. I believe coinut is right on the date, It looks like 1738 or 39 too me.
    Garrett ACE 250 - Whites Bullseye - 9 x 12" Coil

Great find... try hot peroxide on that gunk...should remove it quickly... RickO
    Spectra V3, DFX, Surf Dual PI, Surf Pro, GMT, TDI, DX-1, Coiltek, Pistol Probe, Bullseye, Hot Shot coil, Spider Coil, 4x6 coil, 14 DD, D2, some others... Garrett Wall Detector