Thread: Two Eagle buttons and a 63 Injun

Two Eagle buttons and a 63 Injun

Saturday 9/1 – Well I got out of my comfort zone and tried to find a cellar hole out in the woods. I got a lead on an old homestead out on the logging roads a couple of years ago. I looked it up and found the house on an 1860’s Beer’s map, however the house was not on a 1900 topo map. The 1940’s topo map showed a bunch of logging roads all around that area. So I did some map overlaying and plotted the coordinates on my iPhone GPS app. It was about a mile off the main road and there were hiking trails open to the public that would take me most of the way there. I made it to the area I plotted in about 30 minutes and of course there was no evidence of any homestead. I unpacked my E-Trac and started to search the area for any signs. I found a stream and started to follow that, after about another 30 minutes I started to hit some random iron signals, prior to that I had dug 4 shotgun shells. I stopped and looked around still no obvious sign of anything. As I continued the iron sounds started get more frequent and then I found a small depression in the ground. I thought to myself that this may have been an outbuilding, shed, etc. it was way too small to be a house. I soon found an 1863 Injun, with awesome detail, only about 3” deep. The iron signals were heavy around the depression so it definitely was a building at one time. I wandered around the area for awhile, dug a nice two piece Eagle button with a Waterbury b/m. Later I dug another two piece Eagle button this one was cuff size with a Scoville b/m. My last good find was a piece of a lantern. I will definitely hit this again in the fall with the smaller coil and cooler temps. I was wearing long pants and l/s shirt for tick protection and it got hot and buggy out there.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Re: Two Eagle buttons and a 63 Injun

Keep at it Chief. Take those buttons and lantern top as a good sign that there's more there.
    Whites Spectrum DFX, Fisher F75

2012 Totals :
    Silver-6(oldest 1737 1 reale)
    Coppers-18(oldest 1724 KGI)
    IH's-7
    Flying Eagle- 1
    V-nickels-2
    2012 Tick count-143

Yup! I think ya found it! great research and Knowing what your doing sure paid off! look forward to what else pops out there! congrats!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Wow, two hours of hiking and hunting too that's not crying, that's sweat. Good job on the research |
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Great hunting chief. there has to be more there. The hard parts done, now go get it. thumbsup01.
    Just one more Beep!

Way, Way to far in the woods for this guy. Kudos on your research. on that IH and please keep us updated when you get back there in the fall.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Thanks guys! I doubt I will wait much longer to head back out there. Fortunately it didn't take me the full hour to make it back out and now that I have everthing plotted on my gps I should be able to hike back out there in less than 30 minutes. Definately bringing the small coil with me and setting up a grid.

hey Brian , congrats on the eagle buttons and indian thumbsup01
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Great finds, congrats!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Great job on the research and gratz on some really nice finds, especially the Fatty nickle Injun
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee