Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three Day Silver Harvest

Three Day Silver Harvest

My Internet connection has been down for the past three days now, and I'm not sure when the outage at my ISP will be corrected. In the meantime I have kept myself busy detecting at a few locations in CT and MA.

Friday

This past Friday was a very windy and cold day, but I did take some time to head to a Connecticut park to detect for a while. I was an icicle by the time I had to leave! At least I had four silver coins in my pouch, a 1914 Barber dime and three mercury dimes, dated, 1924, 1940-S, and 1943. I also picked up an old silver signet ring and a part of a bracelet, sterling silver with a gold piece inlaid.

These are the 1924 and 1943 mercury dimes while encased in soil.

My silver take for the day.

I wish the bracelet had been intact, but I think I got the best of the pieces. I was not able to locate the remaining pieces.

This sterling silver ring sure looks nice.

A few wheat cents found their way into my pouch too. The small gold piece was in the hole with one of the wheat cents.

Saturday

This turned out to be a very good Barber day. I returned to the same park to work another section, this time gridding a small part of it and going over the area from different directions. At the end of the hunt I had in my pouch eight silver dimes, a Seated Liberty, dated 1874, four Barber, dated 1901-O, 1905, 1910, and 1911, and three mercury dimes, dated 1917, 1941, and 1944.

There was no doubt as to what this one would be.

The 1917 mercury dime.

Another eight silver dimes added to the collection.

I'm not sure what this silver piece may have been part of but it's a keeper.

Several more old wheat cents and a 1905 Indian Head cent.

Sunday

Today I met up with midas to detect at a local site. It was my first time at this particular location, but we felt it had the potential to yield a few old coins. I did manage to dig up four silver pieces by the end of the hunt, a 1942 Washington quarter, a 1944 mercury dime, a 1912-D Barber dime, and a 1897 Victoria Canada Silver 5 Cent piece.

The size of a U.S. half dime, this silver 5 cent piece made for a wonderful find.

These four bring my total silver for this year to 194, 157 of them this month alone.

The wheat cents, a 1903 Indian Head cent, a sterling silver piece, and a large copper slug.

A nice and heavy silver ring.

HH!

Re: Three Day Silver Harvest

Mental Note: If I want to be happy about the two stinking silver Rosies I found this weekend, then DON'T LOOK AT ANGELS POSTS!

Holy cow just plain nuts as usual. I bet you can hit 1,000 silver this year. Congrats as always!

Very nice three days Angel. You are amazing.
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

Man you can hardly tell that the barber dime and the Canadian 5 cent piece are silver coins.
    I had to reread the part about the 5 center being silver...I asumed it was a nickel .
    There I go assuming again
    Awesome as usual...and yeah the arrow next to the date gave me butterflys too and it's only a picture !!
    Congrats

Damn, You got that silver magnet dialed in mighty good. Great hunts, nice finds and a heck of a lot of silver. H.H. Yazoo

Angel, Great 3 days! You rock

Well it's nice to see that you weren't taking a break from silver hunting...I thought you might be slacking the Seated w/ arrows is real nice. Always fun to find the little Canadian ones Great haul of silver, too bad you can't get anything off of that large copper? Love the dragonfly ring and the large signet ring too. Nice and old A nice couple of days hunting.

wow you deffinately wern't slacking great silver. Angel the seated is really a good looking coin and a very nice
    fish scale as you don't see'em to often down this way. congrats again.

Beautiful coins, as usual And a very nice ring. What is the greenish thing at the top right of the photo below the 'AP Mechanic' photo? It looks like it has a stone in it.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Great going angel . That silver bar that says AP mechanic adds on to a US Army qualifications badge ( like a Marksman , Sharpshooter or experts badge ) other examples off an add on would be
    M-16 , M-14 , 45 pistol etc . That was a sweet 3 days .

H H ,
    Baba

I would be happy finding your silvercount in wheats, that says alot about my hunting grounds. Great job again . Hope your dial-up-connection speeds up

Thanks, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by z118 View Post
    Mental Note: If I want to be happy about the two stinking silver Rosies I found this weekend, then DON'T LOOK AT ANGELS POSTS!

Holy cow just plain nuts as usual. I bet you can hit 1,000 silver this year. Congrats as always!

A 1,000 year? You have been talking to Angie, haven't you.

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Well it's nice to see that you weren't taking a break from silver hunting...I thought you might be slacking the Seated w/ arrows is real nice. Always fun to find the little Canadian ones Great haul of silver, too bad you can't get anything off of that large copper? Love the dragonfly ring and the large signet ring too. Nice and old A nice couple of days hunting.
    Unfortunately I haven't been able to make out any details on the copper. It still counts though, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    Beautiful coins, as usual And a very nice ring. What is the greenish thing at the top right of the photo below the 'AP Mechanic' photo? It looks like it has a stone in it.
    That greenish piece is an old piece of fake jewelry, I think. Yeah, it's going into the 'pile'.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbooty View Post
    Great going angel . That silver bar that says AP mechanic adds on to a US Army qualifications badge ( like a Marksman , Sharpshooter or experts badge ) other examples off an add on would be
    M-16 , M-14 , 45 pistol etc . That was a sweet 3 days .

H H ,
    Baba
    Ah! That is good to know. Thanks for the ID.

Quote Originally Posted by xzlr8n View Post
    I would be happy finding your silvercount in wheats, that says alot about my hunting grounds. Great job again . Hope your dial-up-connection speeds up
    I have my connection back. No dial-up though. It was painful to not be able to get on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by angellionel View Post
    Unfortunately I haven't been able to make out any details on the copper. It still counts though, right?
    Of course it counts, it only doesn't count if it'a a SLQ.

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Of course it counts, it only doesn't count if it'a a SLQ.
    I have to keep remembering that.

AP mechanic, airframe and power-plant. It designates an aircraft mechanic. I am in aw of your silver finds. Keep em coming.

How do you get those coins out of the ground still in the dirt clods? I have always loved the way that looks in a picture. I guess my soil just wont hold together like that. I have tried with every dig to get that shot! Oh well, once again I lay down my V3 at your feet and give praise...

Long live Angel! God of Silver

Jack
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Yeah, you had Internet connection problems, yeah, riiiiiight.........
    Awesome finds as usaul buddy!!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Candidate Member

Wow!! What a weekend! Way to go!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrous View Post
    AP mechanic, airframe and power-plant. It designates an aircraft mechanic. I am in aw of your silver finds. Keep em coming.
    Thank you Ferrous, and thanks for the additional details on the sterling silver item.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSage View Post
    How do you get those coins out of the ground still in the dirt clods? I have always loved the way that looks in a picture. I guess my soil just wont hold together like that. I have tried with every dig to get that shot! Oh well, once again I lay down my V3 at your feet and give praise...

Long live Angel! God of Silver

Jack
    Not all the parks I frequent have soil that clump as shown in the photos, but for those that do it helps to break into the soil from the edges and carefully lift upwards once the plug has been cut.

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeeRon View Post
    Yeah, you had Internet connection problems, yeah, riiiiiight.........
    Awesome finds as usaul buddy!!
    I did! Really!

Looks like a bountifull harvest Angel.
    For every relic that rots away........a piece of history is lost.