Thread: V3 takes oldest coin yet

V3 takes oldest coin yet

Was out at my secret location yesterday with Amy, handyman and Tana.
    It was a great day with beautiful weather and a great location to hunt.
    Started off the day with a few wheats and then come my first silver, a 1926 merc. Found a few more wheats and then came up on this nice 1954 quarter. Then about 5 minutes later,... a 1945 walking half! I was very happy and I also had no clue what I was about to find.
    The day kinda dried up after that with a few wheats here and there and then I found a long metal thing..Maybe a knife handle or something..It has decoration on it and rivets at both ends like a knife would have. The I changed spots for a while...then BOOM.. big hit I couldn't believe what I had just pulled out of the ground. Couldn't tell at the time but when I got home, I found it was a 1812 large cent! My oldest coin I found yet. I found an old bowling pin next and then..Another first for me.. I knew it was a cut piece from a coin, (silver) but I couldn't make out from what kind of coin it was cut from. I got home and looked in my book and I found it was from a Heraldic Eagle Reverse (1801-1807)
    I could believe it...I wish I could have found the whole coin in tact but a piece is better than nothing... Sorry again about the pics.. Gotta learn this camera....

Re: V3 takes oldest coin yet

stretcher: very sweet hunt Magic , great coins . thats an old area your hitting . huge congrats on the large cent and very
    cool on the very early half dollar cut silver piece , is there any wording still left on the outer edge congrats again man
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Wow, I hope that bit come from a Draped Bust Quarter and not a Half Dollar That is one rare find. The thought of someone cutting that coin, just sends shivers down my spine I don't mind when they cut the Spanish Silver, but to cut early American silver What a nice spot you have there. Congrats on some great finds. Did Tana get anything?
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Did Tana get anything?
    I did find a few neat things yesterday! I'm getting ready to post pics of them... need HELP identifying them. Keep an eye out for my thread- I think I'll title it Feeling patriotic today lol

CONGRATS Doug!!! You did great... I'm curious about the knife handle looking thing, such great detail~! Show a pic of the front of the LC! It's in mighty 'fine' condition imho
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Looks like you had a great time in the sun!! Super silver finds !! Nice Lg Cent too, I wonder too what they are when they come out of the ground as a big dirt disc.
    White's Spectra V3i "update", MXT, Prizm V, and Sun Ray Invader DX-1.
    Coils: stock 950 on MXT; 10" DD, Super 12, 950 Eclipse, and 4x6 DD Eclipse Shooter for the V3.

"The only person who never made a mistake never did anything!!"

OMG I just realized 1812 LC! Duh, war of 1812~ surely it's worth more due to the historical aspect of that year
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat View Post
    OMG I just realized 1812 LC! Duh, war of 1812~ surely it's worth more due to the historical aspect of that year
    'fraid not lol No extra credit for being minted during the war. It always goes by number of minted pieces, along with public appeal. If it's not a popular series then it goes for less. If it is a popular series (like Indian Head Pennies, Buffalo Nickels, etc..) then it goes for more. But mostly it goes by mintage. But a great find none the less. thumbsup01
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

You have a great location there! How come no one called me? lol j/k Some excellent finds, and like George said, I can't imagine anyone cutting that coin! You really know that V3 thumbsup01
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Excellent finds! Congrats, especially on the 1812 large cent. That is a sweet find. thumbsup01 It's too bad someone cut up that old silver coin. :-\ At least you got a piece of it though.

Ditto to what Angel said . Man, that was some hunt . thumbsup01 thumbsup01

Baba

Great pics, Cant wait till we get back there again and soon
    Vision, DX-1

Maybe you can find the other three pieces? :-\

That is a terrific old site... definitely a 'dig everything' site.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    That is a terrific old site... definitely a 'dig everything' site.
    You are so right. Hopefully you can go next time- you can ride with me if you want. Perhaps go on the weekend so you can join us- congrats on your new job!
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

Oh yeah, the pic doesn't do it justice. It IS hard to get closeups- just look at my first pic thread on here (Ky finds)

You either need a new camera or let Amy try... lol
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

It's just slightly out of focus, but you can tell that it has some nice details. Great find! thumbsup01

nice finds and im sure what i say is the same ya heard throughtout your thread..... on the cut silver
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers