Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling Patriotic Today!

Feeling Patriotic Today!

Went hunting with Magic, Amy, and Handyman yesterday and found these! I didn't score on all the silver like my MD buds, but am happy with my goodies

Need help identifying please The coin and the U.S. thinga-a-ma-doodle. I looked online for a little while (for the bicentennial commenorative coin) and all I found was posts on a coin collecting forum- about 3 yrs ago, they were frustrated because they couldn't find it anywhere, books or online.... The two they were trying to identify had Rhode Island and Pennsylvania on the back instead of USA. But they sounded like the same description as mine, with Liberty Bell on one side & Eagle on the back. The thread ended without an answer. I'm hoping a rare collector's item

Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Re: Feeling Patriotic Today!

Here's a few pics of us on our hunt... beautiful creek and woods where we were- what a wonderful sunny escape from the city!

lol Don't worry Doug- I'm not sharing any of the pics that disclose our secret place!

Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

hey Tana looks like a perfect spring day there. very nice bunch of finds and great pictures too. your U.S. relic item
    is a USArmy horse bit boss but i'm not real sure on the age just yet i want to say around WW1 era. great looking
    commemorative coin or medal was it gold plated maybe , very nice again .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Looks like you had a great day!! Nice finds, interesting military item..
    White's Spectra V3i "update", MXT, Prizm V, and Sun Ray Invader DX-1.
    Coils: stock 950 on MXT; 10" DD, Super 12, 950 Eclipse, and 4x6 DD Eclipse Shooter for the V3.

"The only person who never made a mistake never did anything!!"

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post

your U.S. relic item is a USArmy horse bit boss but i'm not real sure on the age just yet i want to say around WW1 era
    Amy guessed from an civil war payroll bag that was buried in a hurry when under fire... lol after she said that I went and swung over the area again lol

And either Handyman or Magic- can't remember who said it- off of a horse's bridle. I'm wondering what the horse bit boss is... off to Google wonderland Thanks Dan!

Oh, do you think the commenorative coin is special? It was in a rusty old bezel that (crumbled off easily) to see if it was a coin or medal. The edge is smooth... In regards to comment about being gold plated... I scraped some rust off the edge with my fingernail and it was silver! I dipped it in ammonia for a minute- as suggested by a friend. I thought for sure it was solid silver... The areas that look gold is actually copper. Those spots were horribly rusty (from the rusty bezel) and I got carried away scraping on it. I figured since it wasn't solid silver it didn't matter what I did to it. I think I need to read up on cleaning and caring for my coins
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

Hey Tana. Nice pictures, I know just where that place is lol The Bicentennial medal is a medallion pendant. I Googled it and some similar ones came up. http://www.tias.com/9066/PictPage/1923070194.html
    I agree that the other war item is probably around WWI. Great site you folks have. I still can't believe that cut silver :bangahead01: You'll get some silver next time out!!
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Great finds Tana! Love the commemorative coin. Beautiful photos and it looks like a fun day was had by all! thumbsup01
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Those are some very nice finds, Tana. thumbsup01 I really like that bicentennial commemorative medallion.

Nice going on your finds Tana and great pictures !! What a cool spot !! Looks like some great folks had a great time . thumbsup01 thumbsup01

Baba

Hey Tana, Those are some good pics, I guess Ill have to get some pics of my finds now
    Vision, DX-1

Nice pics Tana, If I had known you were posting them I would have combed my hair first. lol lol I think in the last picture, Kevin is pointing the way to where I found the large cent...Hope no one figures it out!
    Cant wait to do it again! I love that U.S. bit!

Quote Originally Posted by magic View Post
    I think in the last picture, Kevin is pointing the way to where I found the large cent...Hope no one figures it out!
    He really was- that direction anyway! I remember exactly where we were when I took that pic. Congrats again on finding your oldest coin!
    Quote Originally Posted by handyman View Post
    Hey Tana, Those are some good pics, I guess Ill have to get some pics of my finds now
    Glad to hear you got home safe I went ahead and drove home that night so tired... I've never been so sore- gotta work those swingin' and diggin' muscles more often lol
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

Thanks to everyone else who congrat'd me
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

nice hunt! love that US thing-a-ma-jig! thumbsup01
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

What a haul! The commemorative was the icing of the hunt.... thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01
    Garrett ACE 250 - Whites Bullseye - 9 x 12" Coil

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT View Post
    nice hunt! love that US thing-a-ma-jig! thumbsup01
    US thing-a-ma-jig !!! its a bridle bit boss , don't you doubt my powers of researching again Dave lol lol

heres a link to a picture of one on the horse bridle Tana , these things aren't easy to find i'll tell ya
    http://i30.tinypic.com/288wdhu.jpg
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Great research Del!

That is a nice relic, no matter what time period it comes from thumbsup01 Nice find!!
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    US thing-a-ma-jig !!! its a bridle bit boss , don't you doubt my powers of researching again Dave lol lol

heres a link to a picture of one on the horse bridle Tana , these things aren't easy to find i'll tell ya
    http://i30.tinypic.com/288wdhu.jpg
    Thanks for researching I searched forever and only found one, that it's US Cavalry bit boss, made in 1857 & for sale at around $70- that's nice to know! Btw I never hear anyone talking about how much our finds are worth- is it MD forum etiquette not to discuss or what?

Oh, then I found a sight selling them 10 for $2.50 Then saw that they were replicas!
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

Wowzers!!
    You guys had a killer hunt!!
    Good people, good times, and good finds. What else can you ask for ?
    Great pics!!
    Congrats
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime