Thread: Let's try this one.....digital vs. smartfind

Let's try this one.....digital vs. smartfind

On the e-trac, I believe you have both on the same screen. On the explorer, they are seperate though.. Which do you rely on?

I say digital.
    And now the metal detectorist pledge.
    "I pledge to do my honor, to do my best AND seriously investigate ALL deep signals!"

Minelab SE (Is there really any other manufacturer?) 2011 totals = 24 silver coins, 3 LC,1 war of 1812 artillary button , 1 token, 6 IH pennies, 1 2 cent piece

Re: Let's try this one.....digital vs. smartfind

Is there even a smartfind there?

Yes, definitely digital. But I don't like graphs in general... I am a numbers person.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Do they have those? I listen to the tones.

Actually, on the E-Trac I do use both equally, digital and Smartfind, whereas with the SE it was just Smartfind. However with both machines for me tones rule! thumbsup01

That wasn't one of the choices!

Yes, I agree. I use the digital now to back up what my ears are telling me.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1

I started out using the Smartfind but found that Digital seems to work much better for me. I use a combination of the FE CO number and tone to determine whether or not I dig. The cool thing is, with either one you get the other in a smaller window at the top. So once in awhile I'll look at the Smartfind when I think it's iron. More than that though, I will use Quick Mask for the big decision maker on deep iron.
    [move]White’s MXT Minelab E-Trac Oldest coin: 1875 Indian Head Cent Oldest Silver Coin: 1886 Seated Liberty Dime[/move]

Quote Originally Posted by OkieDigger View Post
    More than that though, I will use Quick Mask for the big decision maker on deep iron.
    Not to get off topic here, but explain that will you Dale?

I have mine set to the large FE CO digital readout most of the time but really rely on tones more than anything. Once I get a decent hit I will look at the readout to see what it is reading. Like Dale was saying I then check it with Quick Mask to double check iffy signals to see if it is deep iron. Angie it is basically switching it to all metal mode which generally cleans up the signal and will show a more constant iron signal if it is deep iron.

Thanks Steve. I haven't been using Quick Mask on the E-trac, but I did use Iron Mask on the SE for the same purpose. I'll have to start doing that.

What Steve said.
    [move]White’s MXT Minelab E-Trac Oldest coin: 1875 Indian Head Cent Oldest Silver Coin: 1886 Seated Liberty Dime[/move]

Digital but mostly sound.........I check the numbers sometimes, always look at the depth reading even though I'm getting the hang of using the pinpoint sound level to dig deep or deeper or really deep What's interesting is I had my gain setting to where my targets always sounded the same. I backed it off to 6 and now I can distinguish the deeper targets sound wise. Started a month ago checking with quickmask on the iffy's and it will tell the tale. Learn something everytime out.
    Wishin I was a dirt fishin!

very good jack...if you can hear the difference in depth, you are doing better than I. I do worry about depth loss, or missing a low blip with gain at 6...your take on it? Is there considerable difference if gain is at 7? I use 8 as I am always looking at my screen once a good sound is realized.

Also, I am thinking about changing my variability settings to eliminate the extremely hi tones as they are usually undesirable or aluminum...have u tried this?
    And now the metal detectorist pledge.
    "I pledge to do my honor, to do my best AND seriously investigate ALL deep signals!"

Minelab SE (Is there really any other manufacturer?) 2011 totals = 24 silver coins, 3 LC,1 war of 1812 artillary button , 1 token, 6 IH pennies, 1 2 cent piece

You know I have realized that what works best for me is kind of like a recipe for a special cake. For a good while I was wondering if I was missing targets or didn't understand what the machine was telling me. Now I've began to learn the machine a lot better or rather the language of the E Trac. I hate to think how many things I have left in the dirt learning it. MMMM.......maybe I'll go back to some of my early hunt sites with it. Anyway my headphones were part of my problem and some adjustments were another part of it too. When I finally decided to leave everything alone and let the machine teach me instead of me trying so hard to get it right I started doing much better. I couldn't figure out between my adjustments what was being said by it. Actually a lot of reading that was posted by the great amount of experience on the forums helped tremendously.
    Wishin I was a dirt fishin!

Candidate Member

Digital

HH
    BIG JOHN
    To Have The Best You Have To Make It Yourself

I'm afraid to post lol lol Smartfind for me, but as everyone said ---TONE first--- But smartfind second, I like the bounce for deep and iffy targets
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

With the Se I was Tones/Graph .With the Se the tones helped me ID the target .With the E-trac I use the tone to alrert me of a target ,But I use the numbers and graphs more to ID the target.
    E-Trac

I rely mainly on the tones, but I keep the digital screen up to see the numbers. Watching the cross-hair on the screen doesn't help me any.
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com