Thread: Owasippe revisited.

Owasippe revisited.

Last year I went to Camp Owasippe with the DFXonly people and had a ball except for rain the second day. I knew there was a lot there that had not been found, and being as it was here in Michigan Patti and I decided to make a return trip. First let me say how impressed I was with her as it was her first time behind the coil, and she did OUTSTANDING! The first day it was totally a learning day for her getting used to the ACE 250. But the second day she was all over the place and having a ball. She might be the next MD'er in our ranks. Weather was absolutely outstanding for this time of the year. Mid to upper 70's and bright sun both days. We went to ranger station where we met up with Ranger Al from last year. Very cool guy I might add. There is a six dollar per person per day use fee(remember this). After talking to him for a while it was time to hit the woods. The place was just as I remembered it only we were the only ones around this time. We spent all of both days in one area. Pattis first day netted her 16 coins. More than I got the first time I went hunting. Hey she had a good teacher. rofl Her 2nd day was better with 41 coins. Once she hit the site that was the last I saw of her till break time.
    My first day was pretty good except there was NO SILVER found either day. :bangahead01: First day netted me 102 coins, and second day I came away with 168. Believe it or not neither of us was sore the next day at all. Total coins found for the two days was 327, and valued at $26.06. Remember what I said about the day use fee..... WE HUNTED FOR FREE!!!! After a day there we decided to go to the old train stop where the scouts were let off back in the 40's and 50's. I hunted the open area first and only found a couple of clads. I went into the brush where I got a good quarter signal and it turned out to be a trade token worth 10 cents. I do think we will be making another trip back next year. Maybe then the silver will show up. The pennies are all in stacks of five. lol
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Minelab ETrac,Whites BH-ID, Fisher F2, Vibraprobe PP,Bullseye II PP.

Re: Owasippe revisited.

wow thats alot of diggin! cool token! congrats!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Holy cow that's a lot of clad! Nice digs for sure!
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Sounds like a great hunt. Congrats on it being free Are you going to this year's DFX hunt at Tom Weaver's boyscout camp? Perhaps I'll get to meet you and Patti, I'm planning to go, along with a couple others from this forum.

I love the way you have it all layed out here! I enjoy playing with my clad... lol pouring it all out of the mason jars, lining it up, periodically counting it, separating into separate piles.... I know, get a life rofl And last night I decided to finally roll everything I've found (since buying my first detector in Sept '09) total of over $45! Gonna take to bank and then buy some silver for my coin collection. Ramble, ramble lol good chatting with ya.
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Awesome job you two! I was hoping you'd get into the missed silver there, but it's a huge place! Congrats buddy!
    CTX 3030, Garrett Propointer
    2013 Silver count: 27
    2012 Silver count: 30
    2011 Silver count: 58
    2010 Silver count: 77

Wow!! you too found target central. It must have been fun with all those good signals!!
    White's Spectra V3i "update", MXT, Prizm V, and Sun Ray Invader DX-1.
    Coils: stock 950 on MXT; 10" DD, Super 12, 950 Eclipse, and 4x6 DD Eclipse Shooter for the V3.

"The only person who never made a mistake never did anything!!"

Thanks for all the replies. Tanacat unfortunately I can't go to the hunt as I no longer have the DFX. But I sure do wish all that do go Good Luck & Happy Hunting. Brian it kinda surprised me that there wasn't at least one silver show up. A lot of the coins I dug were well into the six to eight inch deep range, and I was able to pick a bunch of them out of trash thanks to Angels advice. It's there, I just gotta get the coil over it to be found. Maybe next time right buddy.

Nice weather, great hunt, and a new hunting partner. Priceless!!!! You two had a great haul.
    White's DFX...Never enough time.

Candidate Member

Hose, you & Patti did fantastic You are doing a great job learning your E-trac !!
    I think we are doing great this year hunting so far thumbsup01
    too_
    Minelab Exterra 705
    Bounty Hunter Land Star
    Ratphones
    Garrett Pro-Pointer

That is a lot of digs! Too bad you can't go back with the E-Trac this year Great that you and Patti could have fun detecting together... that's what it's all about.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Don't know how I missed this thread lol but that is a lot of digging Got any knees left? That must have been one heck of a good time. Never a dull moment. I hope that place was old enough to produce silver and you get some next time. Sounds like a great time out!! Congrats on some fun and lots of good diggin' thumbsup01
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

yes thats alot of knee bends for sure and a whole bunch of coins. congrats to both of you , sounds like a very nice place to detect.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I couldn't have picked a better time to take off from work for this. It will be a week ago tomorrow and the temps were outstanding. Tomorrow here I could wake up to three inches of ..........SNOW! I had a feeling old man winter wasn't finished with us just yet. Oh well, the ground is good and warm so it won't last but one day. Upside is the blackflies were starting to come out and this should kill off a bunch of the little buggers. And yes, there was a lot of deep knee bends going on. lol

Great digs Buddy!! Sorry, I have been away from the forum for a bit and just now trying to catch up on some posts!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Hey brother Bee, welcome back. Hope all is well on your end my friend. Been making any good finds?

That's a whole lot of coinage there Hoser . thumbsup01 The stuff adds up fast especially when your tumbler
    dies and you don't replace it for a year ( been meaning to get a new one ) . lol
    I hope you nail a lot of silver there next year . Congrats to Patty an accomplished hunter ! thumbsup01

Baba

Great haul !!
    Sounds like you nail the vacation days perfect!! thumbsup01
    Glad no pics of you like this.. >:\
    Sounds like Patti's got the hang of it!!
    16 coins the first day is pretty good I think I only found 11 or 12.
    Congrats to the both of ya
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime