Thread: Day of firsts!!

Day of firsts!!

Yesterday my son Mitchell, my friend Don, and myself rec'd permission to hunt the yard of one of the first houses here in Owego, NY, 180? . The owner is an elderly lady who recently lost her husband a few years back and was delighted to have the company of some younger gentlemen. She is a great lady and was genuinely interested in our finds and said to keep it all, I wish all homeowners were like her. Her husband used to golf and ski with my Grandfather, so I kind of had an in with her. She said we could come back anytime and we will, if only to just visit. Anyway here is the story of the &quotay of Firsts and its not about me. My son had a great day as he scored his first IH - 1883 and his first silver ring thumbsup01. He was a happy camper and the MD'ing hook is getting set deeper and deeper. He gave the ring to my wife who now wears it proudly on her middle finger. The IH cleaned up ok and turned it into an 1883 instead of the 1888 we initally thought (Coinnut, this yard was tough on the copper targets - lots of iron targets and ashes, so we do have some really bad soil here and there.) Mitchell also found a real nice dog tag with the dog's name Pepper and the owner's name and address inscribed, very cool older relic with some identifiable history that we'll research. It was great to see him find these targets instead of myself, wonderful moments. Not to be out done Don found his first IH and was very happy also. It was a tough looking 1892, but will be one of his prized finds. Don is the guy who finds large cents all the time and wishes they were IH's 8. Well maybe this site cured him of that. In fact the first disappointing target for him was a super 1810 LG cent about 8-9 down rofl rofl, this is the second Lg copper in as many days for him. This is a real nice coin and too bad it got nicked by the digger, I'm sure he is happy inside with this one. Another nice find for Don was a sterling silver thimble, that cleaned up nice and straightened up well too. It was crushed a bit but I rounded it open with progressively bigger pens and marker barrels, worked nicely. As for myself, I had some newer coin finds plus a real nice 1920 Canadian cent and a rough 1924 Wheatie. The other wheatie was Don's and dated 1930-D I believe, hard to read.

No silver coins but hopefully they'll reveal themselves next time!! Great day otherwise, lots of happy people!! Enjoy and HH this Easter weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    White's Spectra V3i "update", MXT, Prizm V, and Sun Ray Invader DX-1.
    Coils: stock 950 on MXT; 10" DD, Super 12, 950 Eclipse, and 4x6 DD Eclipse Shooter for the V3.

"The only person who never made a mistake never did anything!!"

Re: Day of firsts!!

More pics!!
    Coils: stock 950 on MXT; 10" DD, Super 12, 950 Eclipse, and 4x6 DD Eclipse Shooter for the V3.

Plain button I found:

cool! nice finds and what a pleasure to knock on a door and have a homeowner like that! thats awesome! thumbsup01
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Ooh love that old Canada cent- never seen one... and wow to the 1810 LC! Congrats on the diversity of your finds! thumbsup01 I've never found a thimble, Handyman has a nice collection of them, btw.
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

That is a very good grouping of finds. You guys had an excellent day detecting. Those old yards sure have plenty to offer, and quite a bit of history goes along with the finds too. Congrats on the great finds!

Those are some beautiful finds!!! And even more so because your son had such a great time! That had to be a very special feeling. Congrats!
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Nice finds. Old houses can give up some nice coins and relics, but they can be a challenge lol I bet that place is still LOADED That Canadian Cent held up the best. Nice old date. You don't get too many of them these days. Glad you got out with everyone and glad you made an older ladies day by visiting thumbsup01
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

That sounded like a very good hunt, and it was awesome that your son made those great finds. Yep, he is hooked now.
    Minelab ETrac,Whites BH-ID, Fisher F2, Vibraprobe PP,Bullseye II PP.

Thanks guys for all the positive feedback. Sometimes you get wrapped up in the finds, but the more I MD it becomes more about the experience and the company you keep. Great hobby to share with friends, family, neighbors, strangers, and old acquaintances. I really had a good time sharing the experience with my son, Don, and Belle the homeowner - and of course with my friends here at American Detectorist thumbsup01.....