Thread: Hey Dan, Here's the Eagle

Hey Dan, Here's the Eagle

Here is what I believe is an Eagle hat insignia badge that I found in 2010. This is the only pix I could find on my work computer. I will take a better one tonight, including the back. I have not been able to find anything on line that resembles this style. For all I know it may not even be an eagle.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Hey Dan, Here's the Eagle

Cool find, I hope someone can give you an ID and some history surrounding this item.
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

hey Brian , about how big it thats and is it just one sided ?? anything on the back??
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

It's about 2 wide. It is one sided the back is recessed like it was stamped. In the center of the back is a female screw post. I will post better pixs in the morning

more pixs
    Attached Images Attached Images    

hey Brian it looks like an old style eagle design and it looks more of a cast item than thin stamped copper or brass , is it a little heavy for its size?? the attachment is a strange one too , with your permission i'd like to send a couple of pictures to a couple of gentlemen i know to hear their opinions.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Dan, absolutely! I can't tell you how many hours I have looked on the internet to identify this. It is a little heavy for its size about 15g.

That's definitely a nice find. Is the hole in the back Threaded. Is the house you found it at still standing or was it found at a cellar hole. I'm guessing it was a Patriotic item that went to something outside the house like on a door , Flag, or Mailbox. Unless your thinking Military. I think that everytime someone digs an item with an eagle on it, they think Military when in fact it might be an ornate Patriotic item that was attached to something outside the house.
    Nice Keeper for sure though !!!
    Detector used: White's XLT AVATAR IS A FMDAC
    SILVER ROUND- EAGLE CLUTCHING DETECTOR OVER THE EARTH

2013 Finds so far : 4 Wheaties, ** 6 Indian Pennies ** (all found in Cornfield) , 0 Shield Nickels, 3 Mercs, 2 Barber Dimes, 1 Silver Washington , 1839 Large Cent, 1 2Center
    [url=http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=58][color=blue]click here to see

2014 Finds : Inactive for Now

Sal, It was found in a field about 150 yards from where a house stood in the 1800's. House is long gone and the property which is about 60 acres has given up colonial musket balls, KG coppers, etc; 19th Century buttons including early militia riflemen and civil war general service along with LC's and a Two-Center. Also a couple of merc's have been found so we have hit the past three centuries here.

Is it military?, I have no idea but based on past finds it could be.