Thread: Indian Head Cent Day + Silver

Indian Head Cent Day + Silver

This afternoon I headed to a park in Tolland county CT, one I had not been to since last year. The silver has been scarce at this small park but it stills yields a few keepers if one takes the time to patiently work it.

I had not expected much in the way of silver, but I did manage to pull two dimes from under the roots of one of the large trees bordering the sidewalk. What a pain to dig them out though.

Here is the Barber dime as it came out of the ground.

They took some work to dig up, but they were worth it.

When checking out a deep nickel signal I had expected that it likely would be a V, many of which I have pulled from this park on previous trips. But what a sweet surprise to see that it was the older type, a Shield nickel, dated 1869.

I also had fun picking up six Indian Head cents, dated 1864, 1864-L (sweet! ), 1882, 1886, 1893, and 1909. They sure held up better than the ones I have dug up at other parks.

There were a few old wheat cents too...

...as well as an old button, and a sterling silver piece.

HH!

Re: Indian Head Cent Day + Silver

nice day out angel! yeah them roots stink
    but ya know they are gonna be good if they are under big roots

Excellent finds Which IH is the key date?

I remember that park... that's the one you made me leave before I was ready. I didn't care if I missed my flight

Nice hunt Angel. I didn't know you even dug nickel readings Looking for that gold are we? Them are some nice older coins. A shield, early Indians...I'm surprised a seated didn't turn up. Congrats on the 1864 L and them Indians are in much better shape then most that I've found. Mine are usually toast

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Nice hunt Angel. I didn't know you even dug nickel readings Looking for that gold are we? Them are some nice older coins. A shield, early Indians...I'm surprised a seated didn't turn up. Congrats on the 1864 L and them Indians are in much better shape then most that I've found. Mine are usually toast
    George... he and I were at that park for about an hour before I had to leave for the airport during one of my trips there. He dug a really deep beautiful seated dime just before we had to go. That was an awesome park!!! I knew there was more there, just no time to find it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    Excellent finds Which IH is the key date?

I remember that park... that's the one you made me leave before I was ready. I didn't care if I missed my flight
    I wish we had been able to spend more time there before you had to go. I'm sure we both would have picked up several more silver coins. I did so in subsequent trips.

The 1864 Indian Head shown on the top row is the one that has the 'L'.

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    I dig plenty of nickels actually. There is that Co 11 through 13 sweet spot I tend to pay attention to. I have dug up several seated from that park in past years too.

Wow nice finds!!!!! Did you check the red book on the values? 1864 starts at $20 g4, vg8 $25, f12 $35
    1864L $65,$95 $160 1909 $14, $16, $ 18

Thats a paycheck for some people. Some people don't get as excited when they find IH's compared to a large copper

or silver. I found an 1870 one day and I flipped when I saw the value, about an $80 coin. Well, nice finds again and hopefully the rest of the year is just as good than that day. I got cabin fever, haven't gotten out yet, got Lymes in the fall of 2007 and have only been out twice since the suffering began. Gonna try to get out this year even if I suffer for 2 days after(knee , back/ rib pain are my biggest problem, not to mention short term memory. Have to go out with others so I don't get lost.
    Take care, Sal
    " What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

Very nice finds Angel!!!

Very nice finds! This time of year, I'm happy just to be out in the sunshine and warm (hopefully) air, let alone be pulling silver and indians out of the ground all day!

Quote Originally Posted by sjv View Post
    Wow nice finds!!!!! Did you check the red book on the values? 1864 starts at $20 g4, vg8 $25, f12 $35
    1864L $65,$95 $160 1909 $14, $16, $ 18
    I have the Blue Book in the trunk of my car, always referring to it to check on some of the finds I make. I didn't know if one of the 1864 IH's had an 'L' until I cleaned it up a bit after arriving home.

Quote Originally Posted by sjv View Post
    Thats a paycheck for some people. Some people don't get as excited when they find IH's compared to a large copper

or silver. I found an 1870 one day and I flipped when I saw the value, about an $80 coin. Well, nice finds again and hopefully the rest of the year is just as good than that day. I got cabin fever, haven't gotten out yet, got Lymes in the fall of 2007 and have only been out twice since the suffering began. Gonna try to get out this year even if I suffer for 2 days after(knee , back/ rib pain are my biggest problem, not to mention short term memory. Have to go out with others so I don't get lost.
    Take care, Sal
    I love finding Indian Head cents as much as I enjoy finding large coppers. And they nearly always tend to hold up much better too, at least in the New England soil.

I'm sorry to hear about your bout with Lyme disease. That's one of the things I'm always concerned about when venturing into the woods on some of my hunts. I wish you well and a full recovery.

Very nice finds Angel! You always post the best macro shots.
    Minelab E-Trac

Nice going Angel. I found an 1864L indian last year. I was exited! Found an 1864 in my last few post but alas..no L.
    Good Job!