Thread: Old Nickels + Silver

Old Nickels + Silver

Today I made my way to Central MA and worked two parks during my time there. From the first park I picked up a few old wheat cents and a 1905 Barber dime. The second park yielded the other three silver coins, two mercury dimes and a Roosevelt dime. The ground also yielded several wheat cents and five old nickels, three V's dated 1905, 1905, and 1912, and two Buffalo nickels. One is dateless, and the other is dated 1937.

I had hoped to pick up a few of the older silver coins, but I can't complain about these.

These old nickels made for fun finds. I also picked up a few old Jefferson nickels.

More old wheat cents added to the growing pile.

HH!

Re: Old Nickels + Silver

Nice hunt. You know when you are finding V's, there is gonna be Barber or older. Good group of coins there. Some nice looking whets there too. Wonder how many dates you are missing for a complete set? Nice day to be hunting, not too warm, not too cold.

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Nice hunt. You know when you are finding V's, there is gonna be Barber or older. Good group of coins there. Some nice looking whets there too. Wonder how many dates you are missing for a complete set? Nice day to be hunting, not too warm, not too cold.
    I am going to go through what wheat cents I have to see what dates I am missing. I need to do the same with the mercury dimes.

Sweet hunt as always!

You know what though? Many times on the forums I have posted stinky results from hunts and many times people have made me feel beter by saying They can't all be great; if you found silver every time it would get boring. You, sir, are calling that wisdom into question!
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Quote Originally Posted by angellionel View Post
    I had hoped to pick up a few of the older silver coins, but I can't complain about these.
    You are kidding, right? Tell me you are kidding. You find barbers and V-nickels and you wish to have picked up a few 'older' coins? I need a day in your shoes!!

Congrats on the very nice finds! I know that first park had been hit very well

Quote Originally Posted by z118 View Post
    Sweet hunt as always!

You know what though? Many times on the forums I have posted stinky results from hunts and many times people have made me feel beter by saying They can't all be great; if you found silver every time it would get boring. You, sir, are calling that wisdom into question!
    To be honest, it never gets boring for me. Seeing a silvery disk at the bottom of the hole or on a dug dirt pile is always exciting, even when it is just a common silver, such as a Roosevelt dime. But in truth, even when no silver is found excitement abounds since you really never know what may be under the coil. That's one thing that makes this hobby so much fun.

nice going angel.

Nice stuff!!! Did my posting of the nickels inspire you to dig a few of them??? Nice silver!

212? man o man!!!!!!!!! nice haul again dude!

Is the silver drying up in MA/CT area . Looks like you can still travel and sniff some out. Another good hunt for you .

I'm hoping he's eventually going to scare all the silver westward....
    CTX 3030, Garrett Propointer
    2013 Silver count: 27
    2012 Silver count: 30
    2011 Silver count: 58
    2010 Silver count: 77

I'm with you Brian, scare some this way will ya. Nice finds as always my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    Nice stuff!!! Did my posting of the nickels inspire you to dig a few of them??? Nice silver!
    Actually, I have been digging nickels all along, it's just that they have been Jeffersons. These two particular parks have yielded older nickels during previous hunts though so I tend to pay special attention to the nickel-range tones and Fe/Co numbers when working them.

Quote Originally Posted by xzlr8n View Post
    Is the silver drying up in MA/CT area . Looks like you can still travel and sniff some out. Another good hunt for you .
    It sure seems so. I need to find new territory.

Sorry I have been away from posting here for a bit Angel, but I see you are still at it!! Had some post winter/early spring cleanup to do around the yard. Trying to catch up on some posts now.
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.