Thread: Nov 26th hunt gives my oldest coin yet

Threaded View

Nov 26th hunt gives my oldest coin yet

Got out this afternoon for a bit (had to wrap uo the refinacing on my house which cut into the detecting time today) I was debating where to go today and I knew I didn't like the taste yesterdays skunk left in my mouth. I decided to check out a new cellar hole and if it didn't work out I'd return to the fugio hole. I went to the first location and the hole was a little easy to find only about 100feet in the woods. There was a lot of modern trash near the hole. I started working away from the hole on the backside but I kept sinking in soft pine needles so i decided to work the front of the hole the only keeper was the NY New Haven and Hartford Railroad button by scoville. Decided to move over to the hole where I pulled a Fugio and that has given up 6 Coppers so far. I started working the front left of the hole near what may have been a path that led to the hole and got a solid 38 on the Safari at around 4 inches and out popped a 1802 Draped Bust (51.5 coppers for the year) worked over a little more from there and got a repeating 36 dug and pulled out the small copper or bronze thing it's about an inch long and looks like it may have had two small pieces or iron attached to the backside. (I would appreciate any input on what this might be) worked over a little further to the left and pulled a tombac button (not pictured) shank was broken off nothing overly exciting. Started working back toward the hole next and got a faint chirp. Kicked off the pine needles and some dirt off the surface and got a jumpy 32-33 at about 8 inches. Dug down and pulled a 1734 KGII farthing (52.5 coppers) which is my oldest coin that I can date. Hung there about another hour but didnt manage any other targets. Definately made up for yesterdays several hour hike to find 1 of the 4 holes I was looking for. (and I was skunked at that hole with just a pocket full of shotgun shells to show for my efforts.
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    2015 YTD $4.96 Silvers (16) Buff (3) V Nickel (4) IH (4) Gold (1) Minelab Safari and ProFind