Thread: Nov 26th hunt gives my oldest coin yet

Nov 26th hunt gives my oldest coin yet

Got out this afternoon for a bit (had to wrap uo the refinacing on my house which cut into the detecting time today) I was debating where to go today and I knew I didn't like the taste yesterdays skunk left in my mouth. I decided to check out a new cellar hole and if it didn't work out I'd return to the fugio hole. I went to the first location and the hole was a little easy to find only about 100feet in the woods. There was a lot of modern trash near the hole. I started working away from the hole on the backside but I kept sinking in soft pine needles so i decided to work the front of the hole the only keeper was the NY New Haven and Hartford Railroad button by scoville. Decided to move over to the hole where I pulled a Fugio and that has given up 6 Coppers so far. I started working the front left of the hole near what may have been a path that led to the hole and got a solid 38 on the Safari at around 4 inches and out popped a 1802 Draped Bust (51.5 coppers for the year) worked over a little more from there and got a repeating 36 dug and pulled out the small copper or bronze thing it's about an inch long and looks like it may have had two small pieces or iron attached to the backside. (I would appreciate any input on what this might be) worked over a little further to the left and pulled a tombac button (not pictured) shank was broken off nothing overly exciting. Started working back toward the hole next and got a faint chirp. Kicked off the pine needles and some dirt off the surface and got a jumpy 32-33 at about 8 inches. Dug down and pulled a 1734 KGII farthing (52.5 coppers) which is my oldest coin that I can date. Hung there about another hour but didnt manage any other targets. Definately made up for yesterdays several hour hike to find 1 of the 4 holes I was looking for. (and I was skunked at that hole with just a pocket full of shotgun shells to show for my efforts.
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    2015 YTD $4.96 Silvers (16) Buff (3) V Nickel (4) IH (4) Gold (1) Minelab Safari and ProFind

Re: Nov 26th hunt gives my oldest coin yet

nice Scott! | the ornate brass thing is some sort of strap guide on a saddle.I find them often at colonial sites.some are ornate some plain.ya know those brass oval things with the hole on each end? they go together.only reason i know this,is because i found an intact one once.if ya have one of those oval thing-a-ma-jigs dig it out and the rusty stubs on your dug piece should fall right into the holes on the oval piece.
    nice hunt dude! thumbsup01
    then there's always that debate whether its bridle related or furniture related too
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

|) |) |) |) |) |) |)

Was trying to decide which smileys would be most appropriate lol

Congrats on your oldest yet!
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat link=topic=11946.msg128623#msg128623 date=1354034439
    Was trying to decide which smileys would be most appropriate lol
    This one would bee in order too or or | But I'm thinking more like... .......... lol
    Sweet find Scott!
    I can't even imagine finding a coin from the 1700's!
    Congrats!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT link=topic=11946.msg128609#msg128609 date=1354024812
    nice Scott! | the ornate brass thing is some sort of strap guide on a saddle.I find them often at colonial sites.some are ornate some plain.ya know those brass oval things with the hole on each end? they go together.only reason i know this,is because i found an intact one once.if ya have one of those oval thing-a-ma-jigs dig it out and the rusty stubs on your dug piece should fall right into the holes on the oval piece.
    nice hunt dude! thumbsup01
    then there's always that debate whether its bridle related or furniture related too
    Thanks Dave I'll have to look for one of those oval thing a ma jigs and give it a try.
    2015 YTD $4.96 Silvers (16) Buff (3) V Nickel (4) IH (4) Gold (1) Minelab Safari and ProFind

Scott...those are some sweet finds....you beat my oldest 1737 KG |. Is your camera a Kodak box camera? Are you trying to stay period with your picture taking? lol Merc said he could hunt this weekend | I think you beat merc's oldest too...which may be the reale he found ??
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

, very nice finding your oldest coin to date. That copper count is huge also,
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

My oldest is 1724. Great hunt Scott. Looking forward to getting out this weekend at some point
    Whites Spectrum DFX, Fisher F75

2012 Totals :
    Silver-6(oldest 1737 1 reale)
    Coppers-18(oldest 1724 KGI)
    IH's-7
    Flying Eagle- 1
    V-nickels-2
    2012 Tick count-143

Nice finds Scott, thanks for torturing - I mean texting me pics of them after you found them.

Good luck if you do get out this weekend. The watch continues on my end...

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew link=topic=11946.msg128697#msg128697 date=1354139720
    Scott...those are some sweet finds....you beat my oldest 1737 KG |. Is your camera a Kodak box camera? Are you trying to stay period with your picture taking? lol Merc said he could hunt this weekend | I think you beat merc's oldest too...which may be the reale he found ??
    I'll never beat Mercs oldest since he always finds the oldest coins at my sites. He pulled that farthing behind where I pulled my bust dime and the area where you hit a couple coppers. I'll need to hit 1600's to beat him I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc link=topic=11946.msg128758#msg128758 date=1354201110
    My oldest is 1724. Great hunt Scott. Looking forward to getting out this weekend at some point
    my oldest is 1724..........yeah I know duh lol. I was with you. I doubt I'll beat that one.