Thread: New to the group!

New to the group!

Here is a mug shot - and my official hello to everyone. I live in Spring Texas and for an early Christmas present - my wife got me a detector and I join you all starting today. I am looking for a group, new friends, anyone looking for a newbie to go hunting with?

I use to be a police officer before moving to Texas. Honorably discharged US Marine, husband, father and I am a games programmer.

Feel free to reach out anytime for anything.

Cheers!

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Some days, it just doesn't pay to chew through the restraints.

Re: New to the group!

hello Rick welcome to American Detectorist . we do have a couple of members from Texas (but that state is so big they could still be a 1,000 miles away from ya lol lol ) . your best bet is to locate any local detecting clubs in your area its a great way of meeting experienced people and finding a hunting buddy , what kind of detector did the wife get you?? its nice to have you here Rick.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Rick, welcome from western MA. As Del stated try to find a local club. Beware of the addiction that this hobby can have and look forward to your future finds.

Al
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

My wife gave me a detector for Christmas too...and I hooked like a trout | welcome to the group
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Welcome to the forum, Rick! Glad to have you here!

Be sure to let us know how your hunts go. Hope you find something good! |
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! That's awesome! My wife got me a Whites 6000 Di PRO SL. The down side is it did not come with a owners manual and I have no idea how to use it yet. Tomorrow is hopefully going to be a good day to be outside and try. I am currently looking on-line for a manual. Has anyone used one of these before? any comments? or thoughts?

Thanks everyone.

Rick
    Some days, it just doesn't pay to chew through the restraints.

Hey Rick , i use to have the 6000 di pro years ago . its a good machine but can be a heavy beast to carry for any length of time . when properly set up it can be a very enjoyable machine to use and will find some good stuff but is very challenging to use in trashy areas.

heres an online manual to download.
    http://media.whiteselectronics.com/manuals/Coinmaster%20Manuals/CM%206000%20Di%20Pro%20SL%2boxing:%20Instruction%20Manual.pdf

and here some helpful tips
    http://66.51.97.78/jb/6dipro.html

Dan

"Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Hi Rick! I am up in McKinney north of Dallas, and my first detector was the 5900 Di Sl Pro. What coil are you using...I assume the 950. Anyway, proper ground balancing and sweep speed is what you will find to be the secrets. I suggest that you find an absolutely clean spot of ground to balance in your own home yard if you have one. You may need to dig the junk first. Settings set at P. Use your pin point feature to decide it's all clean. In GEB/DISC, raise the coil waist high, pull the toggle and lower the coil. If the tone drops out, increase the Sens a smidgen and repeat. If the tone increases near ground, CCW the sense a little and repeat. Just a little increase in tone near the ground is what you want. That gives you a forward balance.

I would suggest you not worry about the SB setting until you get a feel for the detector. A surface coin should ring out nicely no matter what, which will show you the readings for say a nickel and a pull tab. A nickel reads about 29 and a tab about 39 on my 5900. Dimes and quarters are simple as they pretty much needle right inside the labeled display for 1c and 25c.

Bury a few targets, shallow at first, say 3 inches. Pack the ground down as hard as you can after inserting the target, wedging them in the sidewall is best. What you will find is that the buried targets require a faster sweep speed. Deeper the target, faster the swing. This facet alone cost me about a week before I found a real coin, and then I proceeded to find more coins in my 1970 built home in the country than I ever imagined. After that you will begin to have fun.

As far as the SB setting...roll that up AFTER each GB over the clean spot until you get chatter and then back down until quiet at ground level, and then GB again. Practice with the surface targets, and then the buried targets. You will be off and running in no time. This machine does require a faster sweep for more than surface targets. You will want to get a smaller coil if you intend to hunt parks and such where it is trashy...the 5.3 coil is a cool coil.

I have found that running in the GEB/SAT mode after the balancing is helpful. What that does is run dual all metal and discrimination at the same time, and the all metal tones will tell you to then focus there and swing faster for an actual deflection of the needle. It all takes practice.

PS. Texas soil is mostly hard packed and coins are almost always 0-4. Worrying about the SB control tuned away from P setting and trying to obtain stellar depth will likely be distracting. Texas dirt is hard! Things sink very slowly here.

The 6000 manual may improve on my 5900's GB routine. Good luck! Fun times.

Hope this helps. martin

****I just read your manual and it appears that your Auto Balance feature gives you a different procedure than mine. Focus more on what I said about the sweep speed and coin garden practicing. I presume that you could GB out of Auto. Don't know for sure. A pure manual GB may come in handy. I have a good friend in Commerce Texas that knows a lot more about the 6000 but he's not on this discussion site.

Welcome from southern Nevada.

As you can already see, there are lots of resources here. Everyone's glad to share.
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

I should add...don't leave the coil wire all floppy and loose. It will get noisy if you do. Been there, done that. martin

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Welcome to the forum and the hobby Rick from SE Wisconsin. I'm happy to see you found us, do not be afraid to ask questions. Thank you for your service to our country and good luck with your hunts.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Hey Rick. Welcome from Mississippi. I got a brother that lives in Spring. He works for the Montgomery Co. S.O. Lives in the Woodlands. He got a Minelab a couple of years ago and never really got into it. PM me if you were to want to get in touch with him. Maybe you could get him cranked up, Ha Welcome.
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE

Welcome from Iowa to our corner of cyberworld Rick.

I lived in Dallas for a short while, sure miss it this time of year. Not during the summer though.

Looking forward to your hunts and participation. :->

welcome from central Illinois.
    M6 / DX-1 / 6x10 DD & M6/DX-1/ stock coil
    Pontiac IL.