Thread: My first flat button but how old is it?

My first flat button but how old is it?

Hey diggers,

I did some cornfield searching today at the site of an 1800s home. The home is on the 1874 atlas but I don't know when it was built. It is not there on the 1966 atlas. There is lots of glass and brick debris. This button was actually my first good target of the day. It's a bit plow-beat. The backmark is a wreath and the word GILT at the 12 o'clock position. Thanks for any info you can provide about the age or type. Best wishes and HH, Dave.

Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Re: My first flat button but how old is it?

Hey &quotcheesysmile: , i fing lots of those buttons with that same type of wreath and gilt slogan at very early 1800's sites . if i had to guess their age i would put them at around 1815 or earlier .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=11999.msg129125#msg129125 date=1354576246
    Hey &quotcheesysmile: , i fing lots of those buttons with that same type of wreath and gilt slogan at very early 1800's sites . if i had to guess their age i would put them at around 1815 or earlier .

Dan
    Thanks Dan! 1815 is great. That makes it my oldest find and really at the time the first settlers started arriving into the Illinois Territory. The land that farm was on was land-granted in 1835 so the first settler must have been wearing an old coat! HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

people would of save everything they could reused back then , buttons could of definately be resewn onto other clothes when needed.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Nice! I bet gave you incentive to go back and find more clues to the time period...

I'm in the same boat! Isn't it fun being a detective | I've been arrowhead hunting the same field for years and have finally been swinging my V3i in area where I've seen lots of pottery, glass and brick debris. The property owner just gave me the okay and said there used to be a cabin there but not sure of erea- but believes one of earliest settlement of Lexington (settled in 1779). I was just getting ready to create a thread (w/intention of getting Dan's opinion of time period w/the handful of flat buttons I found this week.

There's a great website for button backmarks. It's stored in my other computer under favorites- have to find it to share w/you and look mine up also. Several say Gilt, Best Quality, and Plated and one I can't read that I'm soaking in olive oil.
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP