Thread: Corroded Draped Bust LC + Silver

Corroded Draped Bust LC + Silver

It was another short hunt today due to the heat, but I again managed a couple of silver coins and a corroded Draped Bust large cent. There were other neat finds too.

I can't quite make out the date on this Draped Bust large cent. The obverse is too corroded. The reverse held up much better.

These were my only two silver coins of the day. The 1927 Standing Liberty quarter made up for the lack of a readable date on the Draped Bust large cent.

The six wheat cents and a 1943-S wartime nickel make up the rest of the coin finds.

I'm not sure what this was for, but it is a neat find. I'm not certain about the metallic content either. It is heavy though.

Here it is from another angle.

This ring is stamped '925', but it feels much too light for its size (if it were really silver). It appears to be silver plated as there is some flaking taking place.

HH!

Re: Corroded Draped Bust LC + Silver

Very nice Angel. Are you going to try to clean the large cent at all? It would be nice to see the date on the coin. Or is it to the point where that just won't happen. Well done on the finds.
    Minelab ETrac,Whites BH-ID, Fisher F2, Vibraprobe PP,Bullseye II PP.

Quote Originally Posted by hoser View Post
    Very nice Angel. Are you going to try to clean the large cent at all? It would be nice to see the date on the coin. Or is it to the point where that just won't happen. Well done on the finds.
    Thanks Bill. There is too much corrosion for any possible cleaning unfortunately. Attempting to do so will simply flake off more of the details.

Nice quick hunt Angel. That is one old copper for a park. Must have been old pocket change when lost. The regular Draped Bust series ran from 1796-1807, so it's somewhere inbetween there. And a Standing Liberty quarter with a date? Nice. Not a lot of them found period, let alone with a date. It did get really hot today. You don't have to do much to get fatigued. Is the E trac working any different when the ground is drying up or when it's very hot out?? How is the depth compared to early this Spring?

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Nice quick hunt Angel. That is one old copper for a park. Must have been old pocket change when lost. The regular Draped Bust series ran from 1796-1807, so it's somewhere inbetween there. And a Standing Liberty quarter with a date? lol Nice. Not a lot of them found period, let alone with a date. It did get really hot today. You don't have to do much to get fatigued. Is the E trac working any different when the ground is drying up or when it's very hot out?? How is the depth compared to early this Spring?
    Funny you should ask. I was indeed noticing a slight loss of target signal strength yesterday and today, mostly noticeable on the deep wheat cents. A slower sweep compensated somewhat. It seemed to me that the E-Trac was hitting targets stronger and slightly deeper during early spring.

Very nice coins and that other thingy is pretty cool!

Quote Originally Posted by angellionel View Post
    Funny you should ask. I was indeed noticing a slight loss of target signal strength yesterday and today, mostly noticeable on the deep wheat cents. A slower sweep compensated somewhat. It seemed to me that the E-Trac was hitting targets stronger and slightly deeper during early spring.
    Yea, that's what I was afraid of. It seems to lose a bit of its edge in dry dirt. But on the flip side, I'm hoping it falses less in heavy iron situations and more targets pop up between and under the iron. If the iron halo is reduced also, good targets may appear better (at least at shallow depths). A slower sweep speed ha? Can it get any slower without getting a citation for detecting toooooo sssllloooowww

Very nice Angel!

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Yea, that's what I was afraid of. It seems to lose a bit of its edge in dry dirt. But on the flip side, I'm hoping it falses less in heavy iron situations and more targets pop up between and under the iron. If the iron halo is reduced also, good targets may appear better (at least at shallow depths). A slower sweep speed ha? lol Can it get any slower without getting a citation for detecting toooooo sssllloooowww rofl
    I meant slow relative to where I was detecting, which was an open field where targets weren't as many. I usually speed up my sweeps there, but I slowed down to the same level I do when detecting around large trees where there is a great deal of trash to deal with. Doing so helped me to better hear the targets.

I suspect you are right about the iron falsing not being as pronounced when the soil is drier. A few cellar hole hunts during the summer should confirm that suspicion.

you are on a great pace for the shiney stuff this year Angel and in great shape to keep Georgie boy from claiming any
    Copper title this year too. and you even shut him up with a dated SLQ , life is good . keep up the great work my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    you are on a great pace for the shiney stuff this year Angel and in great shape to keep Georgie boy from claiming any
    Copper title this year too. and you even shut him up with a dated SLQ , life is good . keep up the great work my friend.
    Oh yeah, he did say the dateless SLQ's don't count.

Thanks, Dan!

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Great Hunt!! I love those SLQ's

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Nice !!

Just another dated SLQ, not much silver only two today ... UHH I think think you cleaned up. Great stuff. War Nickle must count as three?? Congrats on another great day !!

Sweet digs! Is the ground drying up in NE already? That can't be a good sign. I got rained out last night. The secret to rain making seems to be pulling my detector out of the trunk of my car.
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Quote Originally Posted by xzlr8n View Post
    Just another dated SLQ, not much silver only two today ... UHH I think think you cleaned up. Great stuff. War Nickle must count as three?? Congrats on another great day !!
    I have been spoiled. Really, though, the way it looks, I'll be very happy with finding one silver on each trip during the next few months.

I like the wartime silver nickels, and though I consider them to be a silver find, I have never counted them as part of the silver total.

Quote Originally Posted by z118 View Post
    Sweet digs! Is the ground drying up in NE already? That can't be a good sign. I got rained out last night. The secret to rain making seems to be pulling my detector out of the trunk of my car.
    It's happening at some areas, like the grounds I was working yesterday. It's raining today, so that should help a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by z118 View Post
    Is the ground drying up in NE already? That can't be a good sign.
    It doesn't seem to take too much drying out of the ground to lower depths. There is something about all that winter snow saturation, that gets down to the level of the deepies, and makes them come to life. Dry out just a bit and they are hidden until next year. Surface rain doesn't seem to rejuvenate it. To me it seems that there is a short window of time to get them deep targets to light up. After that, it's all struggle

I truly love the Draped Bust large Cent! Even in bad shape, very beautiful coin.