Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunt with Ill Digger, Silver Star, Tech125 – Roy Rogers saves the day.

Hunt with Ill Digger, Silver Star, Tech125 – Roy Rogers saves the day.

This past weekend I traveled with my family to Joliet, IL as my step-daughter had a function there. I informed Ill Digger (Tim) that I was going to be in his neck of the woods to see if any of the northern Illinois crew might be available for a hunt on Sunday. Silver Star (Mike) found us a nice old park to hunt that was close to where I was staying. There ended up being five us, myself, Ill Digger, Silver Star, Tech125 (Rob), and Ted.

It was a chilly morning and it rained off and on, but Silver Star “The Cleaner” kept us inspired with his finds. He sure has great success with that Garrett Ace 250! (I'll let him tell about his day.)

I ended the day with 11 wheat cents, a 1937 Buffalo Nickel, a Missouri Tax Token, a religious medal, and a bunch of clad. I thought I was going to go silverless but right at the end of the hunt I got a nice silvery-sounding signal at 7” deep. Ted watched me dig this one up since it sounded so good. It ended up being a really neat sterling silver Roy Rogers ring from the 1940s. When I got home I did some research on the ring and I was surprised to learn that they usually sell for upwards of $300. That definitely lessened the sting of not finding any silver coins.

It was great finally getting to meet Silver Star (Mike), Tech125 (Rob) and Ted. It was a very fun day even if the weather was less than ideal. Of course I had already met Ill Digger (Tim) a couple of times before, and it's always a pleasure hunting with him.

Here are my finds for the day:
    Name:  Crest-Hill-Pile-1209.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  93.1 KB

Keepers:
    Name:  Crest-Hill-Display-1209.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  99.9 KB

Buffalo:
    Name:  Crest-Hill-Buffalo-1209.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  73.7 KB

Roy Rogers ring:
    Name:  Roy-Rogers-Ring-2.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  63.0 KBName:  Roy-Rogers-Ring-3.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  73.2 KBName:  Roy-Rogers-Ring-4.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  66.4 KBName:  Roy-Rogers-Ring-Side.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  80.2 KB

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 09-20-2017 at 04:46 PM.

Re: Hunt with Ill Digger, Silver Star, Tech125 – Roy Rogers saves the day.

Oh man! I didn't even see the pistols on the sides of the ring! Wow! I knew that one was going to be a goodie! thumbsup01
    I'm sure anything Roy Rodgers is quite collectable That's a awesome find!
    Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent link=topic=12067.msg129677#msg129677 date=1355239366
    It was a chilly morning and it rained off on on, but Silver Star “The Cleaner” kept us inspired with his finds. He sure has great success with that Garrett Ace 250! (I'll let him tell about his day.)
    It's pretty amazing what he can do with that thing ain't it!?! 8/ lol
    Like you said. If it weren't for watching Mike do what he was doing, I would've gave up on that place for finding any old coins.

It was nice to hunt with you once again thumbsup01 Let us know if you'll be back up this way. We can go out and have Mike > us all again. lol
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Tony, what a great find on that ring, huge . Sounds like you all had a great time. That ring sure beats a silver dime.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Congrats on a nice hunt. That ring is a very cool find, WTG |

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Hey, cool ring Tony I agree with aloldstuff, where that ring beats a silver dime. Big congrats to ya, thumbsup01
    Just one more Beep!

I was looking around at Sterling silver Roy Rodgers rings on the internet and there are quite a few of them. As I thought there would be! lol
    I kept seeing ads or listings for a oval Roy Rodgers ring. So I figured it would be the most sought after one out there. ::
    But that's not the case at all! \ The ring you found brings a higher premium! |
    I knew it when I seen it! That's gonna be a GOOD one! |
    Congrats again Tony!
    I'll trade you the Rosie I found for it if you want ..... just sayin'. lol
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Wow great finds but that ring is really cool I would take that over a silver coin any day congrats

Sounds like a great groupd hunt you had!! That Roy Rogers ring is awesome!!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Definitely sounds like you guys had a great time!! Glad to hear you all spent some time together.

Tony, that ring is certainly a hunt highlight. Such a nice piece, especially since it is silver. Fantastic find.

Honestly one of my favorite rings posted this year. I just love it.

The RR ring is too cool! That's a fairly valuable collector's item- $300 stretcher: Congrats on a great hunt Tony!!! |
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

A buff and some wheats would be a great hunt for me! But that ring is wicked cool! That's the kinda sweet find that makes all the digging worth it. on another fine job of saving history for future generations.

GL/HH
    2018 silver coins=4
    Silver rings=
    Gold rings=
    Wheats=11
    I.H.=
    Buff=
    Clad=$21.31
    Dollar coins=2
    CTX3030, DFX w/Bigfoot, Beachhunter300, E-Trac.
    Hunting Michigan wet or dry!
    Oldest coin ever = King George II half penny 1729-1754
    Oldest U.S. coin = 1834 L.C.
    Oldest silver ever = 1839 seated half dime

Wow. awesome finds. Love the RR ring. Congrats on a great hunt.
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE

on the RR ring Tony,was just wondering if thoes coin came out of the saddle bags ,,thats a nice buff nic too,good hunt Tony,,,,,,,,,,,,,Terry
    M6 / DX-1 / 6x10 DD & M6/DX-1/ stock coil
    Pontiac IL.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent link=topic=12067.msg129677#msg129677 date=1355239366
    This past weekend I traveled with my family to Joliet, IL as my step-daughter had a function there. I let Ill Digger (Tim) know that I was going to be in his neck of the woods to see if any of the northern Illinois crew might be available for a hunt on Sunday. Silver Star (Mike) found us a nice old park to hunt that was close to where I was staying. There ended up being five us, myself, Ill Digger, Silver Star, Tech125 (Rob), and Ted.

It was a chilly morning and it rained off and on, but Silver Star “The Cleaner” kept us inspired with his finds. He sure has great success with that Garrett Ace 250! (I'll let him tell about his day.)

I ended the day with 11 wheat cents, a 1937 Buffalo Nickel, a Missouri Tax Token, a religious medal, and a bunch of clad. I thought I was going to go silverless but right at the end of the hunt I got a nice silvery-sounding signal at 7” deep. Ted watched me dig this one up since it sounded so good. It ended up being a really neat sterling silver Roy Rogers ring from the 1940s. When I got home I did some research on the ring and I was surprised to learn that they usually sell for upwards of $300. That definitely lessened the sting of not finding any silver coins.

It was great finally getting to meet Silver Star (Mike), Tech125 (Rob) and Ted. It was a very fun day even if the weather was less than ideal.

Here are my finds for the day:

Keepers:

Buffalo:

Roy Rogers ring:

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!
    Tony, great find on the ring! Haven't seen one since my childhood in Mass. when we watched him on tee-vee on Sat. morning. .....

congrats on a great find they always make the hunt worthwhile dennis

Nice hunt! That ring is awesome, it's decorated at a very nice way! Beautiful |

That is one of the coolest rings I have seen ! Great finds thumbsup01
    Glen
    Always looking for that next ring !!

Sweet hunt Tony! Love the medal and of course that RR ring is very cool!! | <:
    Having fun is what it is all about!

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger link=topic=12067.msg129680#msg129680 date=1355244623
    Oh man! I didn't even see the pistols on the sides of the ring! Wow! I knew that one was going to be a goodie! thumbsup01
    I'm sure anything Roy Rodgers is quite collectable That's a awesome find!
    Congrats!
    It's pretty amazing what he can do with that thing ain't it!?! 8/ lol
    Like you said. If it weren't for watching Mike do what he was doing, I would've gave up on that place for finding any old coins.

It was nice to hunt with you once again thumbsup01 Let us know if you'll be back up this way. We can go out and have Mike > us all again. lol
    Tony, i finally clicked on the silver ring in the CRAWL at the top of Home page and what a story. I never knew those Silver Roy Rogers rings excisted. That is one heck of a find. My wife loved Roy and she'd love you if you just sent it to her. Nah, just kidding.. I wonder if anyone else has ever found one of those??

Good job.

EKW

That Roy Rogers ring in sterling is pretty scarce as most of the toy rings from that era are brass. Overstreet Toy Ring price guide puts it at $125-$300 depending on condition. GREAT FIND.
    Metal Detector, Inline Pinpointer, 6th Sense