Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Merc Spill And A Hungry Hawk

Merc Spill And A Hungry Hawk

I took my E-Trac out for a few hours of detecting at the park Angie and I had recently hit and scored with two mercs. They were both in the same hole. I worked the area for some time after that, but I didn't pick up any more silver, though I did dig up several wheats and many clad coins.

Both mercs have mint marks - S and D.

While detecting near the park's fence a hawk came flying down and nabbed an unsuspecting squirrel. It didn't stand a chance. I grabbed my camera and walked towards the hawk to take a photo. I took a few before it became a bit nervous and walked away from its prey. Here is that one photo.

Re: Merc Spill And A Hungry Hawk

Poor squirrel.. Awesome pic of the hawk! Good looking Mercs and in the same hole? Nice!!

Bruce
    Minelab E-Trac
    Whites DFX
    Garrett Pro Pointer

Nice Mercs! And a beautiful hawk (thanks for not showing me the squirrel... I was cringing as I scrolled down, but I HAD to see the hawk. I expected a hawk with prey in its claws)!

Nice mercs! That park is really tough. It has been hit hard. How many silver coins have you pulled from there altogether? Something like 50 or 60? I can't believe I found any silver there at all!

So your photo taking scared the hawk away from its prey? Good!
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
    Nice Mercs! And a beautiful hawk (thanks for not showing me the squirrel... I was cringing as I scrolled down, but I HAD to see the hawk. I expected a hawk with prey in its claws)!
    I did take several photos of the hawk while it held the squirrel. I like the above one though.

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    Nice mercs! That park is really tough. It has been hit hard. How many silver coins have you pulled from there altogether? Something like 50 or 60? I can't believe I found any silver there at all!

So your photo taking scared the hawk away from its prey? Good!
    Yeah, more or less that many.

The hawk did go back to its meal, but it didn't stay there. It flew away with it to dine elsewhere in peace. I was being a pest apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by angellionel View Post
    Yeah, more or less that many.
    More, in other words.

Unbelievable.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1

nice shot! very nice silver!
    And now the metal detectorist pledge.
    "I pledge to do my honor, to do my best AND seriously investigate ALL deep signals!"

Minelab SE (Is there really any other manufacturer?) 2011 totals = 24 silver coins, 3 LC,1 war of 1812 artillary button , 1 token, 6 IH pennies, 1 2 cent piece

Nice mercs. Wish I could find a park like that! Maybe one day......

You know, you and that hawk have a lot in common. Except your prey is the silver.
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com

Great picture. Congrats on another successful hunt.
    MXT, Explorer SE Pro

Awesome digs and great pic!
    [move]White’s MXT Minelab E-Trac Oldest coin: 1875 Indian Head Cent Oldest Silver Coin: 1886 Seated Liberty Dime[/move]

Congratulations on the merc's ! thumbsup01 Nice picture of the red tail hawk.

I got 2 mercs from one hole once... great feeling. Congrats, Angel!
    Makes you dance, smile, AND sing, huh?
    It's nice to see that you had time to get the camera out to snap that hawk. thumbsup01

Congrats on the nice little silver spill! Nice pick of the red tail hawk too! Sounds like he/she had tree rat for dinner!

Great Picture of the hawk Angel isn't it great to enjoy the great outdoors and still find some goodies, Yea! what a feeling you must have had. Congrats!! thumbsup01
    E-Trac, Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium.

Nice Finds Angellionel.. I was telling Aaron the other day that I may need to switch to an E-trac as you fellas seem to find plenty of silver with them.. but minelab users and white users are like Mac & PC users, it seems difficult to switch platforms.
    What do you think, can a White's fella make an easy transition to an e-track?
    Equipment: Garrett AT Pro

Quote Originally Posted by catskillcomics View Post
    Nice Finds Angellionel.. I was telling Aaron the other day that I may need to switch to an E-trac as you fellas seem to find plenty of silver with them.. but minelab users and white users are like Mac & PC users, it seems difficult to switch platforms.
    Talk to Dale and Steve .... OkieDigger and SteveMN. I'm sure they will be responding to this.

The two machines I used before getting my Etrac, about 4 months ago now, was the MXT and DFX. I myself did not have any trouble making the transition and on my first hunt ended up with three silver dimes (see below). The only thing for me that was really different were the tones and getting use to them. That really only took about a week for me and I was really comfortable with what I was hearing. In my opinion the Etrac is a very easy machine to use and the programing is less complicated than the DFX. I don't usually push how good a machine is but the Etrac is a definate winner in my book. thumbsup01
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have used the DFX for several years and have done quite well with it. I had mine with the ToneID setting on, and loved it, so making the transition to the Minelab machines with their variable tones was fairly easy. Steve and Dale too were mostly White's machine users, and they also made an easy transition to the E-Trac.

Ok then.. looks like I'll have to try to find me an e-trac over the winter.. hope the wife doesn't kill me..
    Equipment: Garrett AT Pro

If I remember right. OkieDigger, made the transitiion from a Whites to the Minelab.