Thread: Hello from Aurora, Colorado

Hello from Aurora, Colorado

Tony Two Cent metioned this Forum so I checked it out and liked what I saw. I spend a lot of time on one of the other Forums (where I met Tony) , but it's always nice to have at least one more go to spots for sharing and new ideas.

I've been loving and active in Metal Detecting off & on for over 30 years. I built my first Detector from a HEATH KIT ( a lot of you puppies never heard of them) back in the late 70's, if I can remember that far back. I was still living in Lincoln, Illinois then. Pretty exciting since I'm red-green color blind. But, I had my kids sort all the colored resistors, and parts, etc and i labeled them and got it done. Only had one Red and Green wire mixed and once that was found I was off and running. The coil on that thing was the size of a pizza pan. I wish I still had it for nostagia purposes. Some of my best finds were with that thing. Once, I found 2 standing liberty silver halves about 6 feet apart. Thought I would die of excitement. Then I bought a couple Garrett Groundhogs and enjoyed the heck out of them.

I then moved to Aurora, CO in 1987 and life got in the way and the MD's sat for a few years. I'm back at it big time for the last couple years and have purchased a Fisher F-2 last spring and just got a GARRETT AT PRO a few weeks ago. I promptly broke my arm 2 days after getting the AT PRO, so I haven't even used it yet. Can't wait to get healed and get after it soon.

We're hoping to take about a 3 month trip from Colorado, across the Gulf Of Mexico state, to Florida and then back through the Mid West in early Spring. So, I hope to get in a lot of beach hunting and maybe dig that beautiful black Mid West soil again.

Glad to be here.

Keith

Re: Hello from Aurora, Colorado

very nice intro Keith , hello and welcome to the forum . although i never had one i do remember those Heath Kit build it yourself detectors it was around the time i got my first detector . i wish you well on your trip and hope you get a lot of detecting in there , glad you joined us and Merry Christmas.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Hey Kieth and welcome from mid Mo. I have a sister-in-law living in Aurora, and she is scoping places for me to detect next time we're out that way. There is a stream on the way to Black Hawk which she say's, a few people work, and looks promissing. I also swing the AT Pro, and I'll think you'll enjoy it. Good hunting to ya, and don't for get to post some pic's. Eric
    Just one more Beep!

Hi Keith!

Hey, I'm glad you decided to join us here on the American Detectorist forum! We have a lot of knowledgeable detectorists here, and we're happy to add you to our ranks.

I hope your arm heals quickly and that you are out there swinging that new AT Pro real soon! Be sure to give me a heads up when you are traveling through Illinois this spring, maybe we can get together for a hunt.

Tony
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Glad to have you join us. Welcome from southern Nevada.

I had one of those old BFO machines too. After seemingly hours of tuning it, I finally found my Oldsmobile parked in my driveway. lol
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

welcome from central Illinois.
    M6 / DX-1 / 6x10 DD & M6/DX-1/ stock coil
    Pontiac IL.

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Hello Keith and welcome to the forum from SE Wisconsin. I remember those old kits, never owned one but drooled over the ads until I got my first Whites. HH and GL

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Thanks to all of you for your kind words. I can tell I'm going to be splitting a lot of my time with you all and
    brand X .

Ah yes, Pontiac, Illinois. My buddies are still heavily involved witht the Illinois Valley Blacksmith's Association shop there at the Thresherman's Reunion grounds. I was, and still am a member of IVBA and was there when it all got started. Great group of guys. Hmmmmmmm.. wonder about hunting those grounds Surely some have.

Ok, gotta go get my beauty sleep and some more healing on the arm, hopefully. It's 7 deg F right now. Definite Brass Monkey weather.

EKW

Hello Keith!
    I live just North of you up in the Fort Collins Area. I have buddies down in the Denver area I hunt with from time to time. Would enjoy hooking up sometime for a hunt. The first detector I used was in the 70's. It was a kit as well. Thanks for checking out the forum. I look forward to your post. I hope that arm heals up good by the time the ground thaws.

Jack
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Welcome from western MA. Did you get the brass monkey in, 7 degrees is to cold. Hope your arm heals quickly and you det to swing that AT Pro. Looking forward to your posts.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Would love to meet up with local people when it gets warmer. Thanks for the note, Jack.

Brass Monkey is real and I'll explain, in another post, what it means. I think it's neat.

Aloldstuff, I didn't understand what you were trying to say about the Brass Monkey. Forgive me for being dense.

Again, I'm really glad I found this Forum.

EKW

Thank you for joining our group here at American Detectorist.

It is great to have you here with us.

Broken arm stopped ya? What's wrong with yer other arm? lol I glad you joined us and look forward to your posts.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

I know, broken arm and all, I'm just such a pussy , but a real sweetheart when you get to know me. I'm getting the itch really bad, so it won't be long.

Again, it's nice to find this Forum.

Regards,

EKW

Welcome to the forum Keith. Welcome from Mississippi.
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE