Thread: Etrac Handle Foam

Etrac Handle Foam

As I was cleaning up my Etrac for the winter, the foam piece on the handle finally gave out and fell off completely. It had started to tear some time ago and with every use it got a little worse. The foam on the handle of my Sov GT had similar issues. In my opinion these foam handles are the most poorly designed parts of both my Minelab detectors. I would think they would make these easily removable and washable and out of something a little more durable than the foam they are now.

At any rate... I checked on the Minelab site but I don't see replacements offered for the Etrac foam piece. Any tips?
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Re: Etrac Handle Foam

Just a thought----what about the foam insulation used for plumbing pipes?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2023185...mp;R=202318553

I am planning on replacing mine this winter with padded tape used for field hockey sticks. I was going to borrow my daughter's but it was pink so I think I will get my own roll...

Wrap the foam handles with wound tape buy that at drug dept in most big box stores or drug stores. Then you can wrap that with bicycle handlebar tape and or electrical tape. If you wish to remove it the wound tape will protect the foam so you can easly rewrap it.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by chief5709 link=topic=12266.msg131530#msg131530 date=1357659025
    I am planning on replacing mine this winter with padded tape used for field hockey sticks. I was going to borrow my daughter's but it was pink so I think I will get my own roll...
    I think you'll look cute with a pink detector ...... rofl
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

My Explorer SE had the same problem. My older Bounty Hunter still has the original foam, as does my AT Pro and T2. I replaced my SE foam with tennis racket handle tape. You can double layer, and it is comfortable, and has lasted longer than the original foam. The foam on my SE was the only problem I have had with it, so no real big problem.
    Bob-Bristol, Wisconsin
    Minelab CTX3030__6" Smart Coil__Minelab Explorer SE Pro__Minelab Pro Find 25
    Garrett AT Pro__4-1/2" Super Sniper Coil__5" X 8" DD Coil__9" X 12" Concentric Coil__Garrett Pro Pointer
    Bounty Hunter Land Ranger__4" Gold Nugget Coil

Candidate Member

I actually had the same problem, I was able to get a replacement grip for my Explorer SE 3-4 years ago I think it was through www.metaldetector.com but I know now they have since dropped the Minelab brand so I am not sure where to get the grip. I tried my best to get the grip on for hours, but seeing that thing wasn't budging because the parts are so much larger that are on either end of the grip area. I ended up accidentally splitting the brand new foam grip and ruining it... crying01 I have since just lived with my machine without the grip with no problems. I would recommend the ideas above if grip and comfort matter for you though. Good Luck!!!

HH,

-Evan
    MineLab Explorer SE with the PRO Coil added for the land work, MineLab Excalibur II for beach and under water work, and Whites Spectrum XLT for backup!!!