Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diggers

Veteran Member

Diggers

The diggers seem harmless and look like they would be a hoot to go on a hunt with. Savage on the other hand seems like a snake oil salesman at best and a major discredit to the hobby.

Re: Diggers

I like watching them. They get some good locations to hunt. I would rather see more swing and less talking, but that is how they make shows like that. The Ring Master and King George`s finds have not been that great, I would like to watch some of the members of this forum detecting, their finds are more impressive. Here in WI, watching is all we can do now, have to wait for things to thaw out, or travel to a warmer climate.
    Bob-Bristol, Wisconsin
    Minelab CTX3030__6" Smart Coil__Minelab Explorer SE Pro__Minelab Pro Find 25
    Garrett AT Pro__4-1/2" Super Sniper Coil__5" X 8" DD Coil__9" X 12" Concentric Coil__Garrett Pro Pointer
    Bounty Hunter Land Ranger__4" Gold Nugget Coil

Candidate Member

Finding a nice coin is exciting but they seem a little melodramatic to me, almost corny. If I made a good find I wouldn't jump up and down roll over, climb a tree or p my britches.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter1 link=topic=12351.msg132530#msg132530 date=1359023241
    Finding a nice coin is exciting but they seem a little melodramatic to me, almost corny. If I made a good find I wouldn't jump up and down roll over, climb a tree or p my britches.
    RobW would.......... rofl
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Everyone that I know who has seen the show has the same comments/remarks about these guys... and they all go something like this...corny idiots too much & ridiculous... and I have to say that after watching two episodes, I feel the same way. I understand its TV and they have to be interesting enough to keep the viewers attention, but these guys are too silly...

I love MD'ing and I love finding cool old stuff, but never would I encourage or teach people or kids getting into the hobby that this is acceptable behavior!!! Diggers has done something for me, if nothing else it has gotten me out of my mid-winter, don't think of MD'ing mind set. Western Massachusetts is being blanketed with a couple inches of snow as I write this! So because of the show I've set my sights on some awesome YouTube video's of real guys out there getting some really great things, many of which I'm sure are members here, so to you who share your pictures and video's and don't act like silly, coked out, payed baboons, THANK YOU!

I know they're silly and not traditional MDers , but I turn the TV on to be entertained. And I am not disappointed watching these guys having fun. And since I'm not going to use it as a training film for future metal detectorists, I say have some fun with it !

Elite Member

Watched the 2 newest episodes last night.

1) I can't get out and i at least provides me with a bit of an outlet and some entertainment

2) I was impressed last night. It was a good light on the hobby when they did some great public service by locating the original McCoy homestead..or was it Hatfield?...and then calling in the team of archeologists. Even the archeologists acknowledged the benifit of using metal detectors.

3) The second episode, I was not especially keen on, though I was impressed with them finding a gold coin..then again who wouldn't be. But I did not like how they dug up the small area behind the B&amp
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

I've read negative comments on many forums regarding Diggers. This isn't that idiot wrestler Ric who made us look so bad and like every piece of junk was worth something. I believe diggers shows us in a much better and realistic light. I particularly like when they show the property owner(s) the dug targets. I've done that often, explaining what I might know in the process.
    I like these guys and also harbor a degree of enthusiasm that can relate to their antics but I'm not swinging from any trees to celebrate. I do keep 2 to 4 radios in my gear at all times and prefer to use those to keep hunting partners informed. Instead of juice we'd say we are in a TRE (target rich environment) or got draped, seated, Barber an so on. My favorite saying about sites I get certain vibes from is I smell silver! If anyone while out with me says I see roundness in the hole I'll only laugh. No problem with that lingo, roundness is what our detectors hit hard on.
    I re-watched the first 4 episode on demand. It's all I can do now except check over my gear 100 times in anticipation of getting out.
    The best treasures are the lasting friendships we make.[img width=47 height=70]http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af176/idigther/Detecting%20finds/0439c987.jpg[/img] using V3i, IDX Pro, Coinmaster Pro, Surf PI Pro DF mod, Sov GT, Excalibur 2, Fisher CZ 21, Garrett AT Pro - I'm ready! Where shall we go?

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

I have to admit the show is a little better than it was. My only complaints are their goofy antics when they make a find and the fact that they make a mess when digging. They should be cutting a nice U shaped plug and using a drop cloth on the manicured lawns.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

the show diggers is ok. it's the big mouthed boohya savage that digs with a front end loader that is giving detecting a bad wrap.

Quote Originally Posted by RobW link=topic=12351.msg132920#msg132920 date=1359555659
    Watched the 2 newest episodes last night.

3) The second episode, I was not especially keen on, though I was impressed with them finding a gold coin..then again who wouldn't be. But I did not like how they dug up the small area behind the B&amp
    With permission of the property owner it is a tried and true method in certain allowed circumstances. A screen to sift would have been a nice addition. Most all tiny back door garden spots are difficult if not impossible to work effectively in the usual manner. The amount of junk and drops from over 160+ years of occupation on that small plot means there is layers of stuff. The gold would not have been found without removing the upper layers. I have participated in this technique when the Elizabeth Park Pond (circa 1880's) was refurbished close to 20 years ago - 1994. The shoreline by the turf was hard pack when the muck was dragged out. It's tiring and I was happier crawling over the muck piles and puddles. It's a technique that works well in remote cellar hole sites - time and patience withstanding. Just another perspective.
    The best treasures are the lasting friendships we make.[img width=47 height=70]http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af176/idigther/Detecting%20finds/0439c987.jpg[/img] using V3i, IDX Pro, Coinmaster Pro, Surf PI Pro DF mod, Sov GT, Excalibur 2, Fisher CZ 21, Garrett AT Pro - I'm ready! Where shall we go?

Blog Entries

The dutch forum the talk bad to about the series.
    Salling all the finds.
    Old iron for ridiculous prices.
    Here in holland the cant believe that the finds are that mutch worth.
    Most of the detectorist think the program is fake.
    What do you think?
    Booooom baby.thats to mutch for uss. Hahahahha

Yah know, these guys have the dream job... paid to MD. Imagine if you were given your own digging show, and they told you, we will do all the research, fly you around the country and pay you to sweep and dig, AS LONG AS PEOPLE WATCH THE SHOW.

I would be congering up antics and making a lincoln as bloody exciting a find as possible. I catch myself quoting their brand of industry slang, on occaison. Yep, I caught myself thinking, I found roundness in the hole!

I can't fault them for their antics and crazy enthusiasm... if I were paid to do their job, I may be even goofier!

I agree with Willems. I can't stand them. I think they are idiots and bad for our hobby. >:# Having said that, I will admit that I watch the show whenever I have stumbled upon it. Last time out detecting, I actually said to my self oh I might have juice in the hole. I now feel violated and I hate myself. >{
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Elite Member

I think Willems has the shows &quotiggers' and Savage confused...
    But I would agree 100% wth him on Savage
    I must give some props to the guys on &quotiggers, but being a enthusiats, I do find them a bit annoying, however, it is to be for entertainement and if anyone really watched us in the field...they would be bored out of their mind. Bt they do give some good light on the hobby, I think they show how detecting and archeologists can work hand in hand and most of their shows they are now working with archeologists. I do not believe they are keeping what they find in the episodes, but are giving them to archeologts, historians, or the property owners.
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Blog Entries

O yes i mean the show with booooom baby.
    Not Diggers the 2 guys.
    Diggers is ok. thumbsup01
    The have to make a little show.
    If you say o look another coin,the show is boring.
    But every find boooooooooooom baby? whahahaha.
    A iron saw,5000 dollar? realy?

What i do like and you probable know is chicaco Ron on youtube.
    you see some nice finds from England.
    We also go every year but never found roman gold or a stater.

Sorry Willems. I thought you meant Diggers. I still don't like Diggers and still hate myself for liking to watch it
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

I absolutely love the National Geographic &quotiggers program. They're honest about the potential value of items, even if it's just a few bucks. Ric Savage's lard ass, on the other hand, is completely ridiculous and insulting. He could find a 2012 Lincoln cent and somehow sell it for a grand. I'd like to stick a grenade down his trousers and wait for the &quotOOM, BABY!
    Fisher F2/Garrett GTAx400/Bounty Hunter Pin Pointer/Oldest coin 1827 Coronet Large Cent

Blog Entries

Whahaha boooooom baby.
    <}

I enjoy the show too!....sure they act up some..OK a lot, but they give some history lessons and have some interesting locations..It could be much worse that's for sure. We really don't know the amount of work it takes just to make one show..I think in a way it's a bitter sweet thing for some of us...they are doing something a lot of us would love to do..detect for a living!!! We have a choice whether or not to watch it. I'm sure the hobby will be exploding this year with new detectorists just from the show...there again a bitter sweet thing for some..