Thread: Winter Hunting

Winter Hunting

Hi everyone ! I want to talk about an experience Dan (del) and I had several years ago that might help you all that detect in the woods. There was no snow at home but about 1-2 inches at our site. It was warm and below the leaves the ground was soft. As we detected we could see all the areas we hit and the ones we or maybe I missed. LOLOL
    It was amazing to see the areas that were missed. It was a great learning experience for me . I detected a corner of a wall and if I went just a foot further, I would of gotten a Large cent. Dan followed me and got it instead. LOL. I learned a tough lesson on that one. All in all, I did end up finding a 1753 and a 1754 King George Copper though.
    I guess as a Novice, I learned some things about Gridding and setting patterns. It also goes to show you how one day you hit a site one day and find very little and the next time find some good stuff. That's when I learned to slow down and try to keep track of where I have been and where I haven't. It's still hard though with objects ( branches, brush ) that hinder where you can go and where it's difficult to get to. One year I did a cellar hole and found very little. The next year the State cleared the land and I found some good stuff . Well. I hope you enjoyed and learned a thing or two about hunting in the snow and give it a try sometime.

Take Care and good luck this year everyone !

Detector used: White's XLT AVATAR IS A FMDAC
    SILVER ROUND- EAGLE CLUTCHING DETECTOR OVER THE EARTH

2013 Finds so far : 4 Wheaties, ** 6 Indian Pennies ** (all found in Cornfield) , 0 Shield Nickels, 3 Mercs, 2 Barber Dimes, 1 Silver Washington , 1839 Large Cent, 1 2Center
    [url=http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=58][color=blue]click here to see

2014 Finds : Inactive for Now

Re: Winter Hunting

Sal, along those lines..I've been all over my yard with four detectors over the past few years...and last week found a beautiful colonial button not 20 yards from my living room chair. I do that from time to time, go behind myself and find things.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Re: Winter Hunting

Yeah, there's a member in my club who loves hunting in winter in the woods. He says that the ground rarely freezes under all those leaves. Guess I ought go out with him one of these days
    Paul Havemann
    Member, ECRDA Committee

Life is like an unhunted field: you never know what you'll find.