Thread: Extreme Cellar Hole Hunting (knuckle head#2 finds)

Extreme Cellar Hole Hunting (knuckle head#2 finds)

It was 10 degrees when I turned on my MXT Pro... no problem! There was 3 inches of snow when I was swinging my coil...no problem! There was 2 inches of frozen ground when I dug my first target... BIG PROBLEM!!! I still wouldn't have it any other way, regardless of the weather, I would much rather be out there then sitting on my butt at home

I dressed for the occasion and did not get cold at any point and my Raven Shovel had no problems getting through the frozen tundra allowing me to score a few keepers today. Dave is good company and I had a great time so get your butts out there folks

Check out the neat Railway Police Badge...pretty cool

Attached Images Attached Images           
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Re: Extreme Cellar Hole Hunting (knuckle head#2 finds)

WOW A RAILROAD POLICE BADGE? that's so cool! great day today. we definitely worked for our finds. love that RR pin
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

het Todd another nice relic ...
    its a Hartford , Providence & Fishkill Railroad police badge a very cool and short lived piece of R.R. history.

In 1849, the two Connecticut companies merged to form the Hartford, Providence and Fishkill Railroad, with a modified charter to continue past Brewster to Fishkill, New York on the Hudson River, and in 1851 the Rhode Island company was merged into it. Later that year the first section opened, from Hartford east to Willimantic. Extensions opened east to Providence in 1854 and west to Waterbury in 1855. The HP&F went bankrupt on January 1, 1858, and was run by the trustees until 1863, when it was leased by the newly-formed Boston, Hartford and Erie Railroad.

so it looks like your badge was used for only about ten years or less

i gotta get my butt out there

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

That RR Police badge is a very cool find. Glad to see that the 2 you braved the elements and scored some keepers.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=12382.msg132687#msg132687 date=1359268991
    het Todd another nice relic ...
    its a Hartford , Providence & Fishkill Railroad police badge a very cool and short lived piece of R.R. history.

In 1849, the two Connecticut companies merged to form the Hartford, Providence and Fishkill Railroad, with a modified charter to continue past Brewster to Fishkill, New York on the Hudson River, and in 1851 the Rhode Island company was merged into it. Later that year the first section opened, from Hartford east to Willimantic. Extensions opened east to Providence in 1854 and west to Waterbury in 1855. The HP&F went bankrupt on January 1, 1858, and was run by the trustees until 1863, when it was leased by the newly-formed Boston, Hartford and Erie Railroad.

so it looks like your badge was used for only about ten years or less

i gotta get my butt out there

Dan
    hey Dan thanks for doing the research on this badge. Jesse had found a complete pewter whistle at this site (that i now have in my collection) just wondering if these 2 pieces may be connected or do you think the pewter whistle is older than 1850's? maybe you remember the whistle when he posted a couple years ago? if not I can go through the posts and dig up his thread
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Who needs Google when we have a resource like Dan! Thanks so much Dan for educating me on my find. Last night I made a search but couldn't find anything.
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

love the badge!!! great to see you guys are getting out. |

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

The Police badge is a fantastic find, congrats |

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

That railway police badge is AWESOME!

It may not be considered old by colonial standards, but for a railroad item it is really old. My dad is a retired railroader so I have a special appreciation for railroad related relics.

Incredible find, Todd! |)
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Candidate Member

Awesome find. That is very impressive.
    Chuck

V3i

Quote Originally Posted by Thiltzy link=topic=12382.msg132679#msg132679 date=1359257954
    It was 10 degrees when I turned on my MXT Pro... no problem! There was 3 inches of snow when I was swinging my coil...no problem! There was 2 inches of frozen ground when I dug my first target... BIG PROBLEM!!! I still wouldn't have it any other way, regardless of the weather, I would much rather be out there then sitting on my butt at home Congrats on the historical finds,especially the R.R. badge! Hope you find lots more this season too....

I dressed for the occasion and did not get cold at any point and my Raven Shovel had no problems getting through the frozen tundra allowing me to score a few keepers today. Dave is good company and I had a great time so get your butts out there folks

Check out the neat Railway Police Badge...pretty cool

Damn, you guys are tearing the woods up. WTG . Some great hunts indeed.
    MXT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, 5.3 & and 950 coils, Sun Ray Pro Gold HP, Excalibur , 1000 coil, 2, Whites Dual Field PIs, Sovereign GT

Oldest Silver: 17?2 Half Reale

Oldest Coins: 1723 Halfpenny ,1729- ? KG 2rd Half Penny, 1786 Connecticut Copper, 1787 Fugio.

11@ 1807,8 Reale Counterfeit Cache

Some very cool finds, congrats! I love the police badge...