Thread: It's been a long six months - coming back in 2013

It's been a long six months - coming back in 2013

A few forum members local to me know a little about my absence. It's a too long a story for one post so I will condense it. July 2 on Cape Cod I'm finding a gold and silver ring, my bride is relaxing, life is sweet. July 3 I double over on the beach in pain that nearly paralyses. I did try to walk back to our cottage and I don't know how I got that far hurting like that. Next my 79 year old mom takes one look at me and calls 911 followed by Dennis Fire / Rescue delivering me to Cape Cod Hospital that became my home for the next 35 days. They took my appendix 1:30 a.m. 7/4 but the toxicology was negative. I blew up with distended belly and worse pain. July 12 they reopened my 20 cm midline cut and found my large intestine had perforated. I spent the next month trying to survive the poisoning, abscesses and procedures. When I got discharged on 8/6 I had lost more than 25 lbs and left with a colostomy. For a period of 3 weeks in the hospital I was unable to,get out of bed and my legs lost the ability to support me. Over time I became a walking maniac to get some stamina back. In October I tried to resume detecting an even getting back on my motorcycle. The pain of the colostomy forced me to quit trying to dirt dig and I found I could beach and particularly water hunt without bending. I gained access to an old swimming spot I had done 20 years ago that is totally private (association access only via private property) without even street parking. From 11/11 - 12/5 I pulled 20 silver coins 2 gold rings and many nice keepers from waist to armpit deep. I kept telling myself if I don't keep trying to go forward then I'm not living and the bag was ruling when I could venture outside. Today I'm almost a month out of my 1/3/13 procedure to put my intestines back together and still have about 3 weeks before I'm cleared to resume all physical activities. Also through this I knew many people face tougher times than I did - somebody always has it worse. Nobody however has the support that I received from my wife. Without her I would have been in a deep depression. She slept in my hospital room most of those 35 days. Now on the mend with this behind me and having retired from work I'm scheming and planning for detecting 2013. I've added a couple of units to my detector choices as well as a nice tool to two. Some of my finds were posted on another detecting site Nov - Dec. I have many local friends here on AD so I explained a bit re my disappearance. I want to thank my fellow Yankee Territory Coinshooters for their support and the visits a few made to see me while in the hospital on Cape Cod. Life is so unpredictable, we've all heard that. The best treasures are the lasting friendships we make. HH-Bruce
    The best treasures are the lasting friendships we make.[img width=47 height=70]http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af176/idigther/Detecting%20finds/0439c987.jpg[/img] using V3i, IDX Pro, Coinmaster Pro, Surf PI Pro DF mod, Sov GT, Excalibur 2, Fisher CZ 21, Garrett AT Pro - I'm ready! Where shall we go?

Re: It's been a long six months - coming back in 2013

Wow, thats a story. Sorry to hear of your situation but glad to hear that you are on the mend. No warning or anything, just collasped with the pain? on your water hunting and all those great finds. Hope you can get the clearance for some dirt digging. Looking forward to your future hunts.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Glad to have you back Bruce, and more importantly that you battled back through a very difficult period, one of which I can only barely imagine going through myself. Bless be the comfort your wife and best friend provided you with. She is a gem!

Thank you for sharing your finds with us. An excellent assortment! I wish much success and good health!

Holy cow, Bruce! I'm sorry that you had to go through all of that. :-\

It sounds like your positive attitude helped you to persevere. That and a wonderful wife who was there for you. Hopefully the worst is behind you and that you will be back out there good as new soon. I am impressed with the wonderful finds you were able to recover during your rehabilitation. I hope it was a healing experience for you.

Thanks for checking in and we hope to be seeing a lot more of you!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Elite Member

Srry to hear about your health trouble...I wish you a speedy recovery!
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff link=topic=12405.msg132922#msg132922 date=1359558996
    Wow, thats a story. Sorry to hear of your situation but glad to hear that you are on the mend. No warning or anything, just collasped with the pain? on your water hunting and all those great finds. Hope you can get the clearance for some dirt digging. Looking forward to your future hunts.
    Yes, no warning or prior history of diverticulitis - nada. Some foods we eat are candidates to get caught and burn thorough. Nuts, seeds, fruit and vegetable skins are at the top of my foods to avoid. Before my blow out three nights in a row Nancy and I were having a glass of wine before bed on the beach watching the moon shimmer on the water. Each night after wine and coming in the cottage I had salted nuts, killed the new can in the 3 nights. I was a huge consumer of nuts, berries baked potatoes skins. Even though the likelihood of having this happen again is very small these things are now out of my diet. I was living well, no cholesterol, hypertension or diabetes - nothing. Working out hard, detecting, walking and pushing my motorcycle in and out of the garage no sweat. Every day is gift and sometimes we get tested in unexpected ways when we think we are cruising just fine.
    Now retired, as soon as I'm cleared and weather permits I am looking forward to memorable times detecting. We will certainly meet up. Boy I sure had fun we were with Paul on that old farm. Huge congrats on that 1812 plate!
    The best treasures are the lasting friendships we make.[img width=47 height=70]http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af176/idigther/Detecting%20finds/0439c987.jpg[/img] using V3i, IDX Pro, Coinmaster Pro, Surf PI Pro DF mod, Sov GT, Excalibur 2, Fisher CZ 21, Garrett AT Pro - I'm ready! Where shall we go?

Bruce, I also have had diverticulitis, was a couple of hours from the Doc putting me in the hospital. some heavy antibiotics did the trick. I am one of those idiots that thinks the body will heal itself, for about two weeks before the visit to the doc's I was doubled over in pain and finally the wife says, you're being stupid, go to the doctors. this was about in 2000 and haven't had a bout since.
    We shall meet up again and hopefully dig some great relics, looking forward to it.

Al
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but it sounds like your on the right path. Good luck with your recovery and with the new deteting season.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Bruce, I wish you the best in your recovery! Even though I do not know you I am glad you are pushing on!

Early last year I started going through some really trying times, though it seems it doesn't even compare to what you've gone through.

Back last February I started having ringing in the ears that would keep me up at night. One night I had minor headache. Then I woke up in the middle of the night feeling sick an disoriented. I nearly lost consciousness and had pain and ringing in my head so bad I was on the floor beating the ground, thought I was dying.

In the ER they removed a blockage in my left ear which they thought was the cause, but nothing changed after they took it out.

To make a very long story short, the exact cause was never determined. All I know is there's some minor damage to my hearing and I have to sleep with a noise machine because of the tinnitus. What made things more confusing is I've always had some issues with my blood sugar levels dropping too quick, and for the first time in my life I've been having issue with my eyes too, needing glasses for the first time. and on top of that prior to the major event I had a lot of dental procedures done which flared up my TMJ from having my mouth open too long. I had one procedure go wrong and when I was home the blood never clotted properly, I was already very weak and passed out (and right when I passed out a had major ringing in my head) and this was only about 3 weeks prior to my trip to the ER, so it makes me think all the major dental work had something to do with it.

It was one of those things where so many health issues hit me at the same time that I couldn't sort though it all to figure any of it out.

Metal detecting in the spring and summer really helped me get my mind off the pain and some of the new struggles I have to live with. I don't care what anyone says, It's like therapy to me!

I wish you all the best, and pelase keep us updated with your recovery & detecting finds!

Jon

Oh, and to comment further, what you said:

every day is gift and sometimes we get tested in unexpected ways when we think we are cruising just fine.

I couldn't agree with you more! Even through all the pain I wouldn't change a thing. All we can do is learn from it and keep moving, so that is makes us better, not bitter.

Man , what an experience to have gone thru . Thank God for your strenght , the love and support of a good woman , the skills of your Doctors and the support of your friends and family .
    Thank you for this post as we sometimes need to be made aware of what is truly important in life . I wish you and yours all the best and you will be in my thoughts and prayers . I love the picture of your water finds truly a fine example of making lemonade when life deals you lemons . |

You made through some tough times, glad to hear you`re better now. Good luck, good hunting, and enjoy the retirement.
    Bob-Bristol, Wisconsin
    Minelab CTX3030__6" Smart Coil__Minelab Explorer SE Pro__Minelab Pro Find 25
    Garrett AT Pro__4-1/2" Super Sniper Coil__5" X 8" DD Coil__9" X 12" Concentric Coil__Garrett Pro Pointer
    Bounty Hunter Land Ranger__4" Gold Nugget Coil

Quote Originally Posted by JdsCoins link=topic=12405.msg132995#msg132995 date=1359608583
    Oh, and to comment further, what you said:

every day is gift and sometimes we get tested in unexpected ways when we think we are cruising just fine.

I couldn't agree with you more! Even through all the pain I wouldn't change a thing. All we can do is learn from it and keep moving, so that is makes us better, not bitter.
    It's so human how we can identify with adversity. I understand the heck you went through and how life can take a nasty turn without warning. Detecting is therapy to me as well. Coming off hip replacements in 2003 and 2006 detecting got me moving in therapeutic ways (while still observing my precautions). It's a mental booster as well, keeping me engaged and planning. My prognosis is good yet I have a way to go before I'll know how I will be in the long term. Thank you for the kind and supportive thoughts.
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Fighter 43 link=topic=12405.msg132958#msg132958 date=1359582490
    Sorry to hear about your troubles, but it sounds like your on the right path. Good luck with your recovery and with the new deteting season.
    Al I'm looking forward to getting together again. I had no history of bowel inflammation or other GI problems beyond acid reflux.
    Well for now it's time to mend. There are two sides to recovery, 1) the surgical site, 2) return to normal function. I have a talented surgeon and his reassurance. My fingers are crossed!
    HH-Bruce

Bruce , it was very shocking to hear the ordeal you went through when you told a few of us at the club meeting . after all that it was great to see you back on your feet and in such good spirits at the club . take care my friend and will be seeing you again at the meetings.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

So glad to hear that you are on the mend. I am going to get over to one of those Yankee shooter meetings yet.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

JdsCoins you went through a scary painful time

Quote Originally Posted by JdsCoins link=topic=12405.msg132993#msg132993 date=1359608098
    Bruce, I wish you the best in your recovery! Even though I do not know you I am glad you are pushing on!

Early last year I started going through some really trying times, though it seems it doesn't even compare to what you've gone through.

Back last February I started having ringing in the ears that would keep me up at night. One night I had minor headache. Then I woke up in the middle of the night feeling sick an disoriented. I nearly lost consciousness and had pain and ringing in my head so bad I was on the floor beating the ground, thought I was dying.

In the ER they removed a blockage in my left ear which they thought was the cause, but nothing changed after they took it out.

To make a very long story short, the exact cause was never determined. All I know is there's some minor damage to my hearing and I have to sleep with a noise machine because of the tinnitus. What made things more confusing is I've always had some issues with my blood sugar levels dropping too quick, and for the first time in my life I've been having issue with my eyes too, needing glasses for the first time. and on top of that prior to the major event I had a lot of dental procedures done which flared up my TMJ from having my mouth open too long. I had one procedure go wrong and when I was home the blood never clotted properly, I was already very weak and passed out (and right when I passed out a had major ringing in my head) and this was only about 3 weeks prior to my trip to the ER, so it makes me think all the major dental work had something to do with it.

It was one of those things where so many health issues hit me at the same time that I couldn't sort though it all to figure any of it out.

Metal detecting in the spring and summer really helped me get my mind off the pain and some of the new struggles I have to live with. I don't care what anyone says, It's like therapy to me!

I wish you all the best, and pelase keep us updated with your recovery & detecting finds!

Jon
    Seems you will have ongoing issues and I hope they fade away. Our health is so delicate and they gateway to enjoying our existence here, in the physical sense. I've used detecting as therapy to come back from two hip replacements - ages 47 & 49 1/2 in 2003 & 2006. It has kept me engaged socially, mentally and physically. When I say the best treasures are the lasting friendship we make I mean it from my heart. Through these forums I had gained personal friendships meeting up to hunt with many detectorists, some from many distant states. Most are local to the Mass - CT area. Have detector will travel... Now that I'm retired at a young age I plan on meeting and sharing hunts with more good people. My prognosis is encouraging considering than one surgeon in Cape Cod Hospital told my wife and I you could have died. If I hadn't been a gym rat I would have come very close. I spent 4 1/2 years religiously lifting heavy weights (like I did in my 20's) and adding 25 pounds of muscle and fat that my body consumed while I was I able to eat or walk for 3+ weeks of my stay. I feared making my new bride (2/14/12) a widow even before I could assign my pension in full to her. I was freaked and weak. Now I've got that all taken care of and I think going forward my only lingering issue will be watching my diet. No nuts, seeds, skins or other potentially indigestible foods that can stick and burn through the I intestinal wall. I miss my nuts :-O !!! But really smooth peanut butter is ok and I always ate some every day. The 3 previous nights before my attack of diverticulitis I polished of a can of salted nuts after wine on the beach at midnight...I'm a romantic and watching that moon shimmer on the water is what we do every night on Cape. Than you for all the kind thoughts, I hope to meet up with more of the good people that share our passion.
    Bruce

First ring found on Nov 11 after

my physical restrictions were lifted and before my latest 1/3/13 surgery.
    waist deep in 40 something degree water! It fits and I wear it all the time. I just had to share as it was a huge lift, the walking half a few feet over was sweet too!
    HH-Bruce