Thread: Gold Ring from Ghost Town

Gold Ring from Ghost Town

Hi,
    I found this gold woman's class ring in a section of a ghost town in Missouri that I have permission to hunt. It has been hunted over the years and cherry picked so I have never found much in the way of silver coins there. But I found this beauty about three weeks ago with my v3i using my 4x6 dd shooter coil. It was extremely trashy but hit with a nice 45 VDI. I tested it and it is 10K gold and has 1943 along the edges. Unfortunately the stone didn't make it. I get a kick out of the idea that the lady that lost it would be 87 or 88 years old if she's still alive.

freemindstuck
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Re: Gold Ring from Ghost Town

Congrat's on a great find. It's hard to beat pulling out GOLD from ole mother earth. Where bouts in Mo are you located? We are just outside Columbia. Good hunting to ya, thumbsup01
    Just one more Beep!

What a cool old ring!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

I found a 1948 gold class ring last year also without the stone. It rang up as an indianhead penny signal on my detector. I contacted the towns alumni and they said they lost contact with the guy, if he's even still alive. . finders keepers, unless the owners pops up out of the woodwork
    Hello Wisconsin!

Great gold find thumbsup01
    Always looking for that next ring !!

Quote Originally Posted by buck57 link=topic=12442.msg133202#msg133202 date=1359753390
    Where bouts in Mo are you located? We are just outside Columbia.
    I was hunting north central Missouri along the I35 corridor. I'll have to hit you up to go hunting if I'm ever down around Columbia.
    Quote Originally Posted by dalewestaby link=topic=12442.msg133211#msg133211 date=1359755909
    I found a 1948 gold class ring last year also without the stone. It rang up as an indianhead penny signal on my detector. I contacted the towns alumni and they said they lost contact with the guy, if he's even still alive. . finders keepers, unless the owners pops up out of the woodwork
    I think a lot of the semi precious stones will just dissolve given enough time. The owner would more likely pop out of a nursing home then the woodwork. lol

Thanks for the replies!

Several years ago I read a thread that highly suggested if you find a ring without stones sift the dirt. They tend to fall out from the pressure, movement of the ground. Makes sense.
    Garret 1500, 2500 , AT PRO , Pro pin pointer

What an awesome find! Congrats on the gold ring |

Great find, I am still waiting for my 1st gold class ring. Isn't it great to see gold in the hole? on getting that find.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Blog Entries

That's a great ring dude. thumbsup01
    Always good to find gold.

Sweet ring. Congrats!
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE

congrats freemindstuck on the ring and having the patience to find it in the trash (not an easy thing to do for most) , the older class rings really have a lot of character and most of the stones were very hard an would of held up pretty well over time in the dirt. i suspect either it was lost prior to the ring being lost or in most cases lost after because when the ground freezes the frost heaves can push a stone right out of its setting and usually it loose in the dirt you found the ring in. i've recovered more than a few stones (although while in the wet dirt they look like regular small pebbles or rocks in the soil until you get them home and wash them) just a few inches away or just next to the ring itself.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Candidate Member

Great find!

Very nice.

! Excellent find! Very cool looking ring!
    2012 count: 99 silvers, 3 V Nickels, 4 War Nickles, 2 Gold Rings, 17 Silver Rings, 6 Buffallo Nickels,2 silver braclets, silver cross: 2013 1 Silver, 2 Silver rings, 1 Sterling Neckless with heart charm