Thread: My first gold of 2013 was fantastic...First silver not bad either!

My first gold of 2013 was fantastic...First silver not bad either!

Can't complain about finding my best ring ever with gold and diamonds in January and my first gold of the year, now February starts out with my first silver of the year as another great one.
    I went to a site I have hunted many times with other detectors and larger coils and found 5 silver rings so far.
    Yesterday I went back with the F2 and the sniper coil this time looking for my first silver of 2013.
    I was gonna dig all the high tones for sure, but I learned my lesson digging some weird low tones that turned out to be gold rings so I just have to dig those too.
    Maybe the 4th signal I came across was a pretty solid 28-30 on the F2, usually trash but in this business you never know so I opened a small hole and saw the end of a chain down there.
    Looked thick so I grabbed it and started pulling and slowly inch by inch this thing emerged.

20 inches in length, 28 grams in weight, not the silver ring I was looking for but I'm not sad...it's better!
    Last year was my best year ever in this hobby, and this year is starting out with a bang!

Man I love this hobby!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Vaq/F2/Compadre/Judge 2/F70-2015 finds a bunch of silver jewelry, several silver coins and 3 gold rings!

Re: My first gold of 2013 was fantastic...First silver not bad either!

Dannnnnnnnng, thats a heck of a bracelet. Very nice finds!! is that signal on the F2 like a quarter signal? When i dug up a gold chain with my ATpro, it acted like a bunch of zinc pennies really close to each other
    Hello Wisconsin!

How could anyone not know that their necklace was not on their neck, especially that one. Great find, looks like 2013 is off to a great start for you.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by dalewestaby link=topic=12463.msg133423#msg133423 date=1359998216
    Dannnnnnnnng, thats a heck of a bracelet. Very nice finds!! is that signal on the F2 like a quarter signal? When i dug up a gold chain with my ATpro, it acted like a bunch of zinc pennies really close to each other
    Nope, unless it is super thick I have learned that chains will not come in where you think they will or where they should because of something called eddy currents.
    On all detectors the scanning field will be emitted correctly but that return signal will probably be diffused and totally messed up because the links in most chains cause that signal to scatter.
    The same thing will happen with rings that are broken and not a full circle...you will not pick them up deep and that signal will not be exactly correct as far as the metal content no matter what that metal is.
    I have found many chains in silver and not one came in as a high tone, every one was way below that.
    A very thick bracelet was a zinc signal, and other chains that were thinner were down at nickel or even foil because the clasp was what I picked up partially and some of that signal was diffused by the links.
    This one came in as a 28-30 on my F2, and area that would usually be can slaw or a partial pull tab...a real nickel signal is a 33.
    There are many reasons I became a mostly dig it all kind of hunter and what happens with these chains a big part of that.
    Vaq/F2/Compadre/Judge 2/F70-2015 finds a bunch of silver jewelry, several silver coins and 3 gold rings!

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff link=topic=12463.msg133424#msg133424 date=1360006686
    How could anyone not know that their necklace was not on their neck, especially that one. Great find, looks like 2013 is off to a great start for you.
    Everything is here except the tiny ring that attached the lobster clasp to the end of the chain.
    I am amazed whoever lost this didn't notice it either, but because of that little broken or separated ring I got another great chain to add to the collection.

Nice find. Those of us in the north like seeing the finds, and giving us inspiration to once things thaw out. Good luck on your future hunts. thumbsup01
    Bob-Bristol, Wisconsin
    Minelab CTX3030__6" Smart Coil__Minelab Explorer SE Pro__Minelab Pro Find 25
    Garrett AT Pro__4-1/2" Super Sniper Coil__5" X 8" DD Coil__9" X 12" Concentric Coil__Garrett Pro Pointer
    Bounty Hunter Land Ranger__4" Gold Nugget Coil

! Fantastic find! It's huge! Great start for the year!
    2012 count: 99 silvers, 3 V Nickels, 4 War Nickles, 2 Gold Rings, 17 Silver Rings, 6 Buffallo Nickels,2 silver braclets, silver cross: 2013 1 Silver, 2 Silver rings, 1 Sterling Neckless with heart charm

Yep! I'd say 2013 is taking off like a rocket! <:
    Those are some sweet, sweet finds!
    Congrats!
    I've only dug a few necklaces and I think the only reason I found those are because they all had a medallion or pendent of some sort on it.
    I think I got lucky and picked up the pendent, :: and the chains were just a bonus! lol
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger link=topic=12463.msg133456#msg133456 date=1360042013
    Yep! I'd say 2013 is taking off like a rocket! <:
    Those are some sweet, sweet finds!
    Congrats!
    I've only dug a few necklaces and I think the only reason I found those are because they all had a medallion or pendent of some sort on it.
    I think I got lucky and picked up the pendent, :: and the chains were just a bonus! lol
    Yea, if you're lucky enough to hit on a pendant chains are easy, but I have never been that lucky except once where I dug up a key that was a zinc signal and a very fine 14k chain was attached to it.
    That was real lucky.

Here are all the chains I have dug since I moved to my new home state here in Kansas about a year ago.
    None had pendants or medallions, but I was lucky enough to hit on the clasps and they were solid enough to make me dig.

Not one came in as a high tone silver, they ranged from iron on the real tiny clasp on the small child's bracelet to zinc on the thick Figaro men's bracelet that comes close to matching this newest chain.

My favorite is the thick rope necklace on the top which is the heaviest I have ever found and was in the grass next to a basketball court in a park.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

thats a great score !
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Veteran Member

wow , great finds
    Minelab E-Track ,Minelab SE, with stock coil, 10/12 sef coil , sunray 8 inch coil

silver count: 2011, 117 silvers , 20 indian heads

Sweet,
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE