The last week of dinking around with my garage sale Bounty Hunter has led me to a conclusion. I am teachable...but barely. First I kept getting bogus readings every step or two. It was maddening until I FINALLY figured out that my new boots do not have composite reinforced toes; they are steel reinforced. Only took me two days to figure that one out. No wait, it gets better. Today I bought a couple of new 9 volt batteries to carry with me because the old ones were dying. I unwrapped them and stuck them in my coat pocket. After about an hour I caught fire. So it seems I should have known not to put unwrapped 9 volts in the same pocket where they can touch. And I'm happy to report no one else was around to see this middle aged guy power stripping and break dancing quite impressively while screaming like a school girl as smoke billowed out of my coat. Although admittedly it would have made an amusing Youtube video.

So there's my tips just in case someone out there is even dopier than me. This is going to be a fun hobby!