Thread: For authors only!

For authors only!

I saw Dimeman's post about having another article published, and it got me to thinking:

Are there other authors in this group? If you've ever sold an article to one of the treasure magazines, here's something to consider.

I used to write treasure articles for the magazines. But after a while, it hit me: Sell one article, you get a check. One and done. Want more money? Sell another article.

But! When you write a book, you get paid over and over and over, every time you sell a copy, and you never have to write again! (Well, except to occasionally update your book.)

Mine has been selling steadily for four years now. Since I sell it only through my website (Kellyco wanted to sell it but I said no), and I do no paid advertising, the book stays pretty much under the radar. It sells slowly but steadily as people are told about it by others who have bought it.

If you'd like to get serious about writing a book, buzz me (danhughesmail@gmail.com). I can answer some of your questions and give you some tips. (Free!) (I'm retired and have some spare time!)

Best,

---Dan Hughes

Re: For authors only!

Dan, I know what you mean as I am a book author also and have it on an online site for sale...getting payments for monthly sales, since March of 2012.

You can write it up, upload to the book publishing site and let them sell it for you, print it up and you sit back and collect the money.
    Robbie
    author of "Find More Silver Coinshooting Parks and Schools" by Robbie Morin
    contributor to- Camp Logan: Houston, Texas 1917-1919-by Louis Aulbach, Linda Gorski and Robbie Morin

I can barely write Some of these people could write a book.....some of their posts are long enough lol
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew link=topic=12525.msg134053#msg134053 date=1361132163
    I can barely write... l
    But you know what? The very fact that you are on this forum, reading and replying to these messages, tells me that you are more literate than the majority of treasure hunters out there!

On the other hand, once you've written a bunch of articles, you can make a book out of 'em. That's how I did it (not on THing, but in my previous life as an objective mortgage-market expert).

Paul Havemann
    Member, ECRDA Committee

Life is like an unhunted field: you never know what you'll find.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NJ link=topic=12525.msg134107#msg134107 date=1361211116
    On the other hand, once you've written a bunch of articles, you can make a book out of 'em. That's how I did it (not on THing, but in my previous life as an objective mortgage-market expert).
    An OBJECTIVE mortgage-market expert? Didn't know there was any such thing!

And you're right, stringing your articles together is a great way to do a book. It's a lot easier to do minor editing and write some connecting material than to start from scratch.

Did you self-publish, or go the traditional route?

Quote Originally Posted by danhughes link=topic=12525.msg134119#msg134119 date=1361217115
    An OBJECTIVE mortgage-market expert? Didn't know there was any such thing!

And you're right, stringing your articles together is a great way to do a book. It's a lot easier to do minor editing and write some connecting material than to start from scratch.

Did you self-publish, or go the traditional route?
    In my past life, I was a VP at HSH Associates. The company is a financial publisher -- doesn't make or broker loans, just issues weekly reports on the loan terms that lenders are offering. We'd also evaluate products (a lot of which stunk) and such. We self-published info articles for consumers who didn't know much, and eventually make a book of it. But all the editing was a big time-suck.
    Paul Havemann
    Member, ECRDA Committee

Life is like an unhunted field: you never know what you'll find.