Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tony Two-Cent and Ill Digger chisel through the frozen tundra...

Tony Two-Cent and Ill Digger chisel through the frozen tundra...

I got a phone call from Ill Digger (Tim) this past Saturday. He just couldn't take it any more, he had to get out for some metal detecting. However, the ground is completely frozen up north where he's at, so he was thinking about heading down here where it isn't quite so cold. We decided to meet somewhat halfway in the middle at a park he had hunted once before with good results.

We met at the park at about 9:00 a.m. on Sunday, it was nice and sunny but the temperatures were still in the teens. There was a frozen crust of about 1 but after you got through that the digging was easy. However, there were some areas of the park that were frozen hard as concrete, but fortuntely these areas were not widespread.

We detected for 8 straight hours with just a couple of short snack breaks. Boy, my body was feeling it after not detecting for a month, but the finds kept us going.

I ended the day with 1 Indian Head, 11 Wheat Cents, 1 Buffalo Nickel, a 1941 Jefferson Nickel, 2 Mercury Dimes, a 1954 Mexican Cinco Centavos, and a pile of clad.

Here are my finds for the day:
    Name:  Pile-0217_zps80ff1c69.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  92.8 KB

And here are the keepers:
    Name:  Display-0217_zpseab46542.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  88.8 KB

1890 Indian Head, 1928 Buffalo, 1919 Merc and 1926-S Merc:
    Name:  Keepers-0217_zps1692124f.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  109.9 KB

Only one old nickel, the 1928 Buffalo:
    Name:  Buffalo-0217_zpsdba0703c.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  74.7 KB

The 1926-S is a semi-key date:
    Name:  Merc-1926-Rev_zpsbb4c3278.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  98.2 KBName:  Merc-1926-Obv_zps7dca054b.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  85.0 KB

This Mexican coin is about the size of a large cent and sounded like big silver on the E-Trac:
    Name:  Mexican-Rev_zps67dc15f6.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  82.7 KBName:  Mexican-Obv_zps70709b5d.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  98.7 KB

It was so cold that even the tokens turned blue! lol
    Name:  Token-0217_zpsb33afe03.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  87.1 KB

And just in case you think everything I dig is something good, here is my junk for the day:
    Name:  Junk-0217_zps9fa0d13a.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  120.5 KB

Tim was still detecting when I left at about 5:15 p.m. He found several keepers as well. We had a very enjoyable hunt, it was definitely good to get out!

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 12-15-2017 at 04:40 PM.

Re: Tony Two-Cent and Ill Digger chisel through the frozen tundra...

Awesome Tony!

Not sure if you knew, but that 26-S merc is a sem-key and worth about $30+ in that condition. So you detected the right spots!

And I dug the EXACT same Mexican coin (and same date) yesterday. How bizarre is that? Only difference is mine was hit by a lawnmower. :hysterical:

I hunted 2 hours today, got a 42 merc and 7 wheats. Nothing special.
    Cheers!
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent link=topic=12537.msg134150#msg134150 date=1361240652
    Boy, my body was feeling it after not detecting for a month, but the finds kept us going.
    lol Mine too! This morning I felt like some just > me! lol

But it was very nice to get out and do a little It's been over 2 months since I had my detector out!
    And it really showed at first. Hearing the sounds coming from the E-Trac was listening to a foreign language It used to talk to me!
    But after the first hour and first couple of deep wheats it all came back to me! Like riding a bicycle thumbsup01 lol

Thanks for making it on such short notice Tony!
    I'm glad you could make it! And I'm glad you didn't have to take the dreaded [glow=red,2,300]Silverless Drive Home of Shame[/glow] ! lol

I can't wait to do it again! thumbsup01
    Congrats on the goodies!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

congrats on your finds from the frozen tundra hopefully soon it will go away looks like you guys did ok congrats on a good hunt dennis

Thru frozen ground and freezing temps you still got a pile of keepers, WTG. Must have got you excited to see some silver. on having the addiction and not seeing a psychatrist.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

What a great bunch of keepers! Especially for the weather being what it is. on the semi-key dime. Sounds like you had a ball! But you guys might be sore for awhile. WTG!! P.S. It's amazing how even a short time away from How you can really feel the difference!
    2012 count: 99 silvers, 3 V Nickels, 4 War Nickles, 2 Gold Rings, 17 Silver Rings, 6 Buffallo Nickels,2 silver braclets, silver cross: 2013 1 Silver, 2 Silver rings, 1 Sterling Neckless with heart charm

Cool dige Tony <}

Excellent bunch of finds you got there Tony

Nice hunt Tony! Braving the less than ideal weather paid off. Good photos too. thumbsup01

Very nice finds!
    2017 Totals: 21 Clad / $1.85 / 1 Silver Coin / 2 Wheaties / 0 Rings
    2011-16 Totals: 12,902 Clad / $1,094.43 / 301 Silver Coins / 590 Wheaties / 71 Rings

way to go tony two cents,up here in northern Illinois we wont be detecting for a very long time the ground is so freakin solid it might be till the middle of march before the ground thaws.Good murc.I stopped in Bloomington Illinois last summer and got stopped by the cops and they sayed no detecting period in Bloomington,so ide stay away from there,hope you get some more murcs,there is some nice small towns south of Bloomington that allow detecting.I think this cop was just having a bad day,other than grenwich Connecticut ive never heard of a intire city completely banning metal detecting.Well maybe Morton grove too.

Quote Originally Posted by ssserena link=topic=12537.msg134222#msg134222 date=1361313963
    way to go tony two cents,up here in northern Illinois we wont be detecting for a very long time the ground is so freakin solid it might be till the middle of march before the ground thaws.Good murc.I stopped in Bloomington Illinois last summer and got stopped by the cops and they sayed no detecting period in Bloomington,so ide stay away from there,hope you get some more murcs,there is some nice small towns south of Bloomington that allow detecting.I think this cop was just having a bad day,other than grenwich Connecticut ive never heard of a intire city completely banning metal detecting.Well maybe Morton grove too.
    Thanks for the heads up about Bloomington. I've never detected there, and now I know not to even think about it.

Decatur doesn't allow detecting in any of their parks either.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Great hunt thereTony. |. You got to tell me your secret on finding them IH. I'm still hunting for my first one. Congrats on a cool hunt.
    Just one more Beep!

Nice digs! I am envious you were able to get out and swing the coil.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Congrats Tony on some really good finds! Man, that chick on the Mexican coin sure is a looker! Best wishes and HH for more good finds, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Nice finds Tony! Glad you got to get out and hunt for a while, the ground is still up here!

Wow! Great finds. Congrats. Glad to see ya'll were able to get out.
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE

Very nice! I have found some keepers myself over the last few days. Fortunately I got out during some recent warm breaks. I got to dig some frozen ground too!

Nice finds Tony! Way to go on getting out in the cold!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger link=topic=12537.msg134267#msg134267 date=1361369734
    Congrats Tony on some really good finds! Man, that chick on the Mexican coin sure is a looker! Best wishes and HH for more good finds, Dave.
    With dirt still on the coin I bet you thought that chick was King George l l
    The blue Bozo must have given a good signal. Key date?
    Very nice hunt Tony....congrats on that Merc too.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew