Thread: todays and yesterday's silver

Veteran Member

todays and yesterday's silver

Yesterday went to a site that gives up a silver about half the time, but it seems like pulling teeth to get it. The rosie was only 3.5 inches deep, but there was alot going on in the area -- foil, a pull tab, a copper penny, and deep iron. I would not have found it were I not playing with using a program with better separation on the V3. I did isolate the rosie first and dug the other targets just to see what was going on. With the normal program I use, it looked like one big mess that I usually write off as a canslaw.

Today managed to pull a silver religious pendant called a Miraculous Medal. Apparently they have been making these since 1832. No telling how old this one is, but I'm guessing based on depth and location that it is 50s to 70s. There are alot of variants to the design -- I guess if I had time I could try to date it better. In sterling, these sell online for $30, I'd be happy to let it go for $15

This was a little disturbing on the V -- it was about 5-6 inches deep, but I was pretty sure it was iron, and almost didn't dig it. The V was not giving too much in the conductive/silver zone, but green was dominant, so I often dig those (but often don't). I should think it shouldn't break up like that 'til 8-9 inches down. I'm sure I've missed some silvers because of this.

Anyway, silver 3 hunts in a row, which is probably a record for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Re: todays and yesterday's silver

Congrats on the silver!!

I agree with you on the erratic siganls the V3 gives. How did you get better separtation?? - increase recovery speed?? change filter settings?? Still getting good depth with 6 for the silver pendant. Thanks for any reply you give
    White's Spectra V3i "update", MXT, Prizm V, and Sun Ray Invader DX-1.
    Coils: stock 950 on MXT; 10" DD, Super 12, 950 Eclipse, and 4x6 DD Eclipse Shooter for the V3.

"The only person who never made a mistake never did anything!!"

Nice couple of silvers. Obviously that medal was made when the price of silver was low lol I think the 1830 date stands for something that happened on that date. Can't remember what since the Catholic school nuns beat us so much lol But it's a religious event date of some sort I think Glad you scored some decent silver!!
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by xzlr8n View Post
    Congrats on the silver!!

I agree with you on the erratic siganls the V3 gives. How did you get better separtation?? - increase recovery speed?? change filter settings?? Still getting good depth with 6 for the silver pendant. Thanks for any reply you give
    Actually I was using a version of one of Jack's programs. Filter was 5hz band, and recovery delay was 115 (which is actually slower than the stock CJ program). I was getting the separation by swinging really, really slow. It was almost as if the settings were forcing me to remember to swing really, really slow, as I generally swing fairly fast.
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Awesome job on the silver finds. Looks like the tweaking of that program has paid off for ya
    Minelab ETrac,Whites BH-ID, Fisher F2, Vibraprobe PP,Bullseye II PP.

thumbsup01 Nice digs Randy!
    Garrett ACE 250 - Whites Bullseye - 9 x 12" Coil

i agree , very sweet finds Randy
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Very nice digs, Randy. thumbsup01

Nice digs...

The Miraculous Medal Story and Its Meaning

http://www.amm.org/medal.asp
    2013 Totals: 4 Coppers 37 Silver Coins 18 Indian Heads 4 V Nickels 5 Buffalos 137 Wheaties 4 Sterling Items
    Website: http://www.ctdirtfisher.com YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CtDirtFisher