Thread: grease for O-rings

grease for O-rings

Does anyone know or would recommend using this product on there O-rings and rubber gaskets?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1 mercury

Re: grease for O-rings

Carl , i'd only use it if it stated that it didn't breakdown the rubber o-rings or plastics in anyway.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I'm not sure exactly, but if it's the stuff I'm thinking of, it is a silicone based grease. (similar to the stuff you can put on your spark plug boots or reel lube that you put on your fishing reel.)
    If it is a petroleum based grease, I'd stay away from it.

Its made to put on the rubber O-ring inside faucets. But ive got some stuff for my fishing pole called reelbutter which might be a better alternative. Thanks for the help.
    1 mercury

I read that Vaseline is what you use on rubber O-Rings . I had a Pool once, the Rubber kind that you just fill up and the instructions said to apply that to the filters O-Ring when storing over the Winter.
    In fact I use it on my Metal Detectors Rubber rings where the shaft connects to the Coil and in 12 years have never had a problem . There still original and I even use it on the rings not only for storage but especially in the Summer when their prone to drying out and cracking .
    Detector used: White's XLT AVATAR IS A FMDAC
    SILVER ROUND- EAGLE CLUTCHING DETECTOR OVER THE EARTH

2013 Finds so far : 4 Wheaties, ** 6 Indian Pennies ** (all found in Cornfield) , 0 Shield Nickels, 3 Mercs, 2 Barber Dimes, 1 Silver Washington , 1839 Large Cent, 1 2Center
    [url=http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=58][color=blue]click here to see

2014 Finds : Inactive for Now

Sal is correct use Petroleum jelly (aka Vasaline)

Candidate Member

Long-term use notwithstanding, Petroleum Jelly is petroleum based. Of course, it is to petroleum what the hydrogen peroxide in your medicine cabinet is to rocket fuel.
    However, there are better alternatives. The scuba diving industry sells food grade o-ring lubricant that is safe for O-rings, any electronic parts, and the people that use it.

Just sayin' ...
    TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, BHID, Surf P.I. (Plus), Prizm IV