Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do you all mix the wife time with metal detecting time...

how do you all mix the wife time with metal detecting time...

I know this is kinda a weird subject but a needed subject.What is the key to mixing both like for instance 50%wife time 50%metal detecting.Im trying to keep both.Its like juggling.I wonder whats a good mixter!Maybe some of you more experienced married detectist can give me some advice and maybe we have some lady members in here with good advice too.Feel free to give some advice.

Re: how do you all mix the wife time with metal detecting time...

My wife is a crafter. So while she is painting or sewing or felting or making jewelry I take leave and go metal detecting. That way, we're each doing our hobby and no one gets hurt.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Finally someone in my situation. I don't have an answer except maybe try to get her interested also. Although if you have a wife that hates the woods, bugs and other critters than it makes it harder. What I use to do when I was Detecting a lot more , especially on the weekends is too go out as early in the morning and come to an agreement on a time to come home and spend time with the family. It's tough because your exhausted from detecting but you have to do what it takes . PM me and we can discuss this further.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Detector used: White's XLT AVATAR IS A FMDAC
    SILVER ROUND- EAGLE CLUTCHING DETECTOR OVER THE EARTH

2013 Finds so far : 4 Wheaties, ** 6 Indian Pennies ** (all found in Cornfield) , 0 Shield Nickels, 3 Mercs, 2 Barber Dimes, 1 Silver Washington , 1839 Large Cent, 1 2Center
    [url=http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=58][color=blue]click here to see

2014 Finds : Inactive for Now

detect or don't detect there is no try do or do not hehehehehheheeeeeeeeeee!
    Ya my backyard looks like the dagoba system its so swampy right now!

seperate homes or temporary legal seperation may be the only way out. jmhop.
    If it wasn't for flashbacks, i would have no memory at all

Gee, This is a tuff one. But let me tell you the truth.....

As much as we all love metal detecting, family is more important no doubt. I mean, do you really think your going to be on your death bed thinking boy I sure wish I had more time to go metal detecting.

That being said, us boys still gotta play with our toys For me, I just make sure I spend a little time with my family first and then they don't care if I go do what I want.

I PROMIS if you put your family first and metal detecting second you will actually find MORE time to go metal detecting! Spend a little time with your family each day, even if it's only 5 minutes with each person.

Then you will have time to find a big gold nugget and retire

Thank you for the great advice!

Did the hobby exist prior to the marriage or develop after the marriage? I don't think there is any hobby that is worth sacrificing your marriage for. I married a woman that loves the outdoors. She enjoys metal d-ing, fishing and the like. I got her a Whites Prizm IV for her very own and she is a fierce competitor to find treasure. If you are having trouble finding time, try to get her to join you. You'll win both ways. GOOD LUCK

Happy Wife , Happy Life

very wise words to live by .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

my wife kicks me out! she can't wait to get rid of me for the day! LOL but that is only because she gets her pick of the good stuff LOL so she looks forward to seeing what I bring home as the pics attest to. so I really don't have a problem in this area .
    sarge
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Be Safe And Happy Hunting All

Sarge

I'm in the same boat as rsarge1, my wife wants me out of her hair as much as possible. lol
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

I have always encouraged and supported my wife to pursue her hobbies and interests (except the spending money hobby). So she really can't say too much about me spending a Saturday or Sunday out in the woods swinging a coil. She of course WANTS to say something because that is a wife's nature , but she knows she really can't complain without sounding unreasonable. But I still get the occaisonal what the heck you going to do for 10 hours in the woods?. On occaison I find it wise to not go detecting if there is something she really really wants me to do with her. I could be very happy detecting both Saturdays and Sundays, but you need that harmony at home.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

I think you all have great ideas but Dan's sums it up short and sweet . Happy Wife, Happy Life. I know how it feels, especially when your a grown man and the wife acts like she's your mother . Dan has been out with me Detecting enough to know how my wife is , but if you spend equal time or like I said earlier, go out at the crack of dawn and come home by lunch then at least you still have the rest of the day for family time. Another thing that I used to do was go out for a bit during the week since I use to work 2nd shift and she worked 1st.
    I also know that time zips by when you out detecting but 6 hours on a Saturday or Sunday is better than no time at all . It's just a part of being Married. I hope this helped .
    Detector used: White's XLT AVATAR IS A FMDAC
    SILVER ROUND- EAGLE CLUTCHING DETECTOR OVER THE EARTH

2013 Finds so far : 4 Wheaties, ** 6 Indian Pennies ** (all found in Cornfield) , 0 Shield Nickels, 3 Mercs, 2 Barber Dimes, 1 Silver Washington , 1839 Large Cent, 1 2Center
    [url=http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=58][color=blue]click here to see

2014 Finds : Inactive for Now

I really appricate all the advice sal66.Im starting to go into a deep deep metal detecting depression.

The best answer is: Get her to detect too! Only problem is when she kicks your butt getting better finds than you do! At first my wife was not sure she wanted to hunt so we would pack a lunch and go to a park I would detect and she would walk with me and take an extra loop or two. Then I got her to try it and while she liked finding stuff it was not until on her fourth hunt and she found her first silver a 1908 Barber Dime that the fun started to click in for her, I kept upgrading her detector and now she has her own E-Trac and has a great time....the only grumbling I get from her is when she doesn't make a good find!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

awsome stuff!

Since i retired i can get out most of the time as my wife still works. So as long as i get the laundry and dishes done detecting time is easy to find. And after 31 years of marriage she doesn't want me around bothering her or bogarting the T.V. controller.
    So until she retires we get along quite well. rofl
    I tried getting her interested in detecting but she's just not as interested in it. But she does like the good stuff i find. And she's still waiting for the big diamond ring that just happens to fit any of her fingers. :hysterical:
    2018 silver coins=4
    Silver rings=
    Gold rings=
    Wheats=11
    I.H.=
    Buff=
    Clad=$21.31
    Dollar coins=2
    CTX3030, DFX w/Bigfoot, Beachhunter300, E-Trac.
    Hunting Michigan wet or dry!
    Oldest coin ever = King George II half penny 1729-1754
    Oldest U.S. coin = 1834 L.C.
    Oldest silver ever = 1839 seated half dime

My husband doesn't detect but luckily he supports me- he likes to see what I find and hopeful I'll find something of real value.

I've convinced him that it's good 'therapy' to keep me happy and healthy. We have 2 young sons age 5 & 7 and the older has autism, so I definitely need a 'break' from chaos lol I'm a stay at home mom and my younger goes to pre-school a few hrs/few days a week giving me time to hunt.

I'm envious of you guys who are retired!!! I only have 20 yrs to go
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

my son has autism he had a triple syzer back in december and it scared the heck out of me.Ive tried to get him into metal detecting but no luck yet!I use coin roll hunting to pay off his medical bills!So far its been good but i keep the franklins and older for myself!

I get my but up EARLY on Sunday mornings, out the door by 6 am, home by noon. I get several hours of detecting in and still have all day for family time. I lose some sleep but happy wife, happy life!