Thread: These aren't the silvers you're looking for

These aren't the silvers you're looking for

I got in some good hunting this past weekend in spite of the cold temps, re freezing ground, and occasional snow squalls. I stuck entirely to odd wooded areas as they seem to be my new thing.

I hunted the first one on Friday evening. My first target was a 1947 nickel, followed by a wheat. A short while later I encountered a spill totaling 16 wheat pennies in a 1 x 2 foot area. As I kept recovering coins I would hope the next would be a dime or quarter but no luck. After that I pulled a deep dateless Buff and later a nice older buckle (from a horse of cattle harness according to Del [thanks Del!]) but silver was not to be had.

Saturday I got out twice. The first spot gave up a few more wheats and a cool old keyhole cover plate. The second yielded an 1890 V nickel, more wheats, and a sweet old padlock. But again, no silver.

Sunday was very cold, but I was really hungry to find something shiny. I headed to a spot that had given up silvers on the last three hunts there. Early in the hunt I got a very nice tone and was pretty sure I had a silver coin. I was half right anyway - it proved to be a small silver Love ring. Later in the hunt this occurrence repeated itself - I was certain I had silver and again it turned out to be a ring.

So... 27 wheats, a V nickel, a Buff, and two nickels from the 40's but no silver coinage! A bit disappointing but the rings and the nice relics make up for it I suppose. The weather is supposed to be winter like all week; hopefully the ground won't freeze solid before next weekend. I'm already itching to get out again!

Happy hunting..
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Re: These aren't the silvers you're looking for

Oh yeah, and I got this big nasty in the woods too... some of the odd stuff that turns up in wooded areas is a mystery to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre

Silver is silver. You got yourself some nice keepers. I keep reading more and more about hunting in the woods, gonna have to give it a try.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Nice haul. The lock is cool

Wow- so much variety! Aren't the wooded hunts fun... it's neat to find stuff in the middle of nowhere. I've been enjoying getting out of the city for hunts lately myself.

Congrats on the silver rings- even if not silver coins |
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Some neat stuff! The triple hook looks it was lost during a scavenger hunt at the Tetanus Festival.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

What a great weekend. Those rings are really nice and I would have been thrilled to find either one of them.

Continued good hunting.
    Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

nice finds on the rings by the way the weighted hook is a snag hook they use them for salmon in the great lakes dennis

Quote Originally Posted by POKIE73 link=topic=12741.msg136027#msg136027 date=1363705342
    nice finds on the rings by the way the weighted hook is a snag hook they use them for salmon in the great lakes dennis
    Thanks for the info! I had never heard of this before, it was interesting to read about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snagging

Love any kind of Silver! Nice finds.
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE

Still a lot of wheaties (27!) and some old nickels, including an 1890 V Nickel! I like the silver Love ring too.

I'd take those results any day!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Nice finds! Holy smokes, that's a lot of Wheaties! Sweet Silver Rings The big nasty does look like a salmon snagging hook, found a couple of those in my mom's back yard, we did use them for salmon snagging but I think we also used them when we put new line on the reels we would tie one on and cast it way down in the back yard to stretch out the line or something-don't exactly remember if that was the reason we did that or not but I remember doing it. Congrats on all your Awesome finds.

Sweet lock... better than a silver coin but not better than two lol
    Whites Spectrum XLT/Whites 5900 Di/Pro/Pro Pointer
    Feel free to subscribe to my youtube Search Poliverfb to see all my videos

Beauties Z!

Lots of Wheat Cents plus some bonus silver. Congrats!!