Thread: What's the difference between a $200, $500 and $1000+ detector?

Candidate Member

What's the difference between a $200, $500 and $1000+ detector?

Hi Guys. I was just wondering in generic terms, what the differences are between detectors in these price ranges. In other words, what features am I likely to find on a $500 detector that wont be on a $200 detector and on a $1000+ detector that you wont find on a $500 detector.

There's probably a simpler way of wording my question, but I think you understand what I'm asking. lol

Steve
    "You know you're getting old when the candles cost more than the cake." - Bob Hope

Re: What's the difference between a $200, $500 and $1000+ detector?

You won't find ground balancing on a $200 detector usually. This means that the detector won't be able to adjust for ground mineralization (which is frequently necessary, in my opinion). If you have mineralized ground you will get all kinds of falsing and terrible depth. The other limitation you will find on a low-end detector is loss of accuracy of target ID at depth.

Yet another limitation is volume response to targets. For instance, the ACE250 only has one volume for audio signals. Therefore, there is no ability to associate deep targets with whispers or low-volume signals. And, signals that are whispers don't meet the criteria for giving off a signal, so those don't signal at all and are missed.

To me, this is huge because many of the coins still in the ground that others have not found are there because these are difficult signals. You have to hear the signal to know it's there at all, and you have to have as much information as possible on these tough targets.

And after hearing it, you have to make a decision whether to dig. It's still there because other detectorists walked over it. The easily-heard coins are already gone - what's left (at least in public places like parks) is the challenge.

I read your other posts, and in my opinion (if you can) you should stay away from the low end units since you have experience.

Some of the difference between mid-range and high-end detectors has to do with the number of features. For instance, the E-trac (I'm using that example because that's my primary detector) can be set to multi-tones which assigns a different tone to each different frequency - so with two or three dozen different tones possible, after awhile you can discern between targets (not always, but often) by the level and quality of the tone.

Target accuracy and depth has something to do with it too. Meaning, you will tend to get more depth with the higher-end units associated with better target identification. However, even with the high-end units you will still get very iffy signals that are either surrounded by trash, are very deep, or are next to iron or other metal - but after awhile you can learn to hear these too.

I think the best way to say it is that a higher-end unit just gives you more information overall. It's then up to the user to put that information together, which takes a lot of practice and learning. But if you do the practice and learning, then you can make the most out of the extra information. People who aren't willing to put the time and effort in to do the learning, won't experience the difference for the most part.

Hope that makes sense. And welcome to the forum.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

By the way, regarding the questions you asked Lowjiber, when he mentioned automatic ground tracking he was referring to ground balancing which is done automatically by the detector. That means that even when ground conditions change as you detect, the detector adjusts for them automatically (basically nulling out the interfering mineralization - although an engineer might laugh at that description )

Some detectors (low to mid range) have manual ground balancing, meaning they can be adjusted for ground mineralization but it's not automatic and the user has to do it within the machine's settings.

Other detectors (low end) do not have that capability at all, either manual or automatic.

All high end detectors and most mid level ones have automatic tracking ground balance.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

I ran into a detectist down in Missouri and he basically says $100 dollars for every inch the detector goes depth wise.I cant completely agree with this but its close!

Candidate Member

Thank you Epi-hunter for taking the time to give me such thoughtful and thorough answers to my questions. I have a much better understanding now of the features I going to want on my next detector.

I'm really glad I found this place. thumbsup01
    "You know you're getting old when the candles cost more than the cake." - Bob Hope

Candidate Member

The difference in the filters discrimination and other functions.
    "Start with what is RIGHT - not with what is acceptable!"

my advice would be to reasearch all the brands and pick the one with the feature that suit your present budget if you are going to get real serious about this hobby most of us do by the way you will trade up it takes a good year to really learn a machine after that you will know dennis

Epi-hunter pretty much covered your question. thumbsup01

Whenever I'm having a slow day, I always remember: It's not the wand. It's the wizard. lol
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

Candidate Member

Low end machines typically do not have a threshold. They are referred to beep-dig machines. This goes back to what Epi-hunter was talking about concerning volume and target audio. Without a threshold sound, you cannot hear the 'null' of rejected metals or the 'whisper' of deep desirable metals.
    Mid-range machines are very capable for the most part. The problem is they do not have a lot of adjustability. In the design phase, the engineer selects what the ground balance setting will be, or the threshold volume, or the number of filters. These machines are designed to work reasonably well in average conditions. If you happen to live in an area that is average, you could use one of these to great effect.
    The heart of the high-end units is adjustability. Everything from the frequency of the tones and being able to assign individual tones to individual targets to selecting the number of filters, to adjusting the sensitivity of the receiver and pre-amp, to selecting what frequency is used for searching. Additionally, high-end machines are going to use more expensive componentry, resulting in more precise frequency modulation, better displays, and sturdier construction.
    TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, BHID, Surf P.I. (Plus), Prizm IV

Candidate Member

Sorry but, I'm still not sure I understand what the word threshold means in the context of metal detecting.